Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 01:00 PM

45,125 posts, read 26,284,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
They already do in food stamps, Medicaid, housing programs, welfare...

These companies are making the taxpayers subsidize their business
, when they should pay the full costs of their labor.
Yeah its certainly not the government robbing us all big time and giving a little back to favored groups (a.k.a. Welfare)

Wages are set by demand for a skill and unskilled workers are many, sorry to burst your utopian bubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 01:00 PM

46,878 posts, read 25,830,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Here's my math:

McDonald's worker makes $7.50, they pay $7.50 for McDonald's meal.
McDonald's worker makes $75.00, they pay $75.00 for McDonald's meal.
McDonald's worker makes $750,000,000, they pay $750,000,000 for McDonald's meal.
The labor is 100% of the cost of the meal?

Old 09-05-2014, 01:01 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,897,127 times
Quote:
... when they should pay the full costs of their labor.
Your labor is worth what someone is willing to pay you and you will never increase it's value by increasing the minimum wage, if you want a raise increase the value of your labor.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:01 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,198,119 times
Quote:

These companies are making the taxpayers subsidize their business, when they should pay the full costs of their labor.

Very true!

Old 09-05-2014, 01:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,288,091 times
Quote:

These companies are making the taxpayers subsidize their business, when they should pay the full costs of their labor.
And see..it's still not enough..

You pay them $15/hour and they will still be on food stamps and medicaid.
The government will just up the percent above FPL that qualifies as "poor" and needing government subsidies.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:03 PM

1,259 posts, read 825,669 times
Quote:
Here's my math:

McDonald's worker makes $7.50, they pay $7.50 for McDonald's meal.
McDonald's worker makes $75.00, they pay $75.00 for McDonald's meal.
McDonald's worker makes $750,000,000, they pay $750,000,000 for McDonald's meal.
Wow. How did you even come up with these numbers ?

Quote:
Here's my math:
It's not just the minimum workers that gets a raise, if I'm making $12.50 and the minimum goes to $12.50 I deserve and expect a substantial raise. The person above is going to expect the same.... The cost of everything goes up and the minimum wage worker is back to square one.
Why should you get $12.50 when a McDonald cook, sweating in a hot kitchen gets only $7.50?

41,815 posts, read 50,897,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The labor is 100% of the cost of the meal?
The guy working at gas station filling the delivery trucks gets a raise, he guy sweeping the floors at the slaughterhouse gets a raise, the person at the bank gets a raise, the person making the cups gets a raise.... Everyone above them gets raise....

9,470 posts, read 6,951,083 times
Quote:

Explain what "the full cost of labor" is.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:04 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,416,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Let the government subsidize their wages then.
Business pays them $8/hour and government kicks in another $7/hour.
There's your $15/hour.
What do you think ends up happening when your full-time low-wage service worker can't make ends meet and turns for help getting food on the table? McDonald's and others are enjoying profitability thanks to effective government subsidies.

Maybe the model of paying people peanuts worked back in the 80s when it was part-time work and upward mobility was a realistic possibility; today, after automation and offshoring to cheaper countries, that upward mobility doesn't exist, and people are stuck with these jobs full-time trying to make them provide what the better jobs would in the past. And the math does not add up. Not everyone can be a software consultant; you need some sort of a path for the lower-level / blue collar types to also survive.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:04 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,472,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
well it works like this...

if companies do what you want, then there are some things that naturally follow. everyone else further up the food chain demand more money.

companies just saw a huge spike in wage inflation so they inflate the cost of their goods and services to pay for the wage inflation.....

Guess what? your people at the bottom that you were so happy you helped are now at some level below a livable wage.

wash
rinse
repeat...

its called economics. look it up.
I see this response, but I don't agree. I make way more than $12/hr or even $15. If the minimum wage goes to $12/hr, I can demand a raise all I want, it's not going to happen. It's not going to happen to my colleagues either.

I don't buy the everything will go up in price either. It doesn't have to.

For example, you have a couple with a child working opposite schedules making $7/hr. If both of them made $12/hr they could afford day care to spend their evenings together, thereby creating the need for daycare workers. I don't think it's that simple. Economics yes, but what we see in theory does not always work in practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies