Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 12:02 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Pointing out economic laws, indeed human nature itself, is being a blood-sucking capitalist pig. If only we could eliminate humans from the market, oh... LOL
In the eyes of the liberals and the poor, you are indeed bloodsucking capitalists unless you voluntarily surrender all your hard earned wealth to the poor who would pop babies after babies for you to support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 12:05 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
you're oversimplifying a complex issue because you have your partisan glasses on. go back and read through this thread. maybe a lightbulb will go off.
About 50 million poor illegals in US is a huge oversupply on the low wage labor market. In addition, their children would qualify all kinds of welfare draining our resource previously available to the poor citizens.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:11 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
question. if we double the salary of these failures, then shouldn't my salary double? after all, I have a skill. if my salary does not double, I am not fine with these failures only making like $10 an hour less than me. some punk brat 16 year old taking out the trash doesn't belong in the same stratosphere as me.
This doesn't help. As has been noted, it's not actually the F.F. worker protesting. It's those hired and trained to protest by the unions that are protesting. As many of us have noted we started out in those kind of jobs which didn't make us failures and the same goes for the 16 year old kid taking out the trash. He's doing things as they were designed to work. That's not being a failure.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
What has happened is the loss of adult jobs in this country.
When I was thirteen years old, I was a car-hop at a fast food establishment. Many of my teen aged friends worked in fast food or were employed as "bag boys" or as "stock boys" within the many local privately owned grocery stores. I also worked in a grocery store before and after school and during the summer months. Many kids also worked in the fields picking cotton, stacking peanuts, etc. Our parents worked in the local factories such as Vanity Fair, Chemstrand, the paper mills, ribbon mills, saw mills, etc. These local factories finally went away. The private owned grocery stores went by the way with the larger chain stores such as Walmart taking up the space. The days of the car-hop went by the way with Macdonald, Burger King, and other franchises gobbling up the business of fast foods. Machines took over the cotton picking and other farm chores.
My own kids all worked during high school at the local MacDonalds and as waiters in the local restaurants. With the loss of the factories, the adults more and more had to fall back onto the jobs as waiters and waitresses and take the jobs available at the fast food establishments. The school kids lost their avenues of employment to the adults.
I've tried to point out a couple times that this is the problem not minimum wage but no one wants to discuss that.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
If those on the left really cared about the working poor, they would be vigorous supporters of a restricted immigration policy and be in favor of tight border control. More low skilled workers = lower pay for low skilled workers. It's simple supply and demand. Yet, the left promotes more immigration and loose border policies. Shows how insincere they are.
They would have also demanded that our monetary policy that has greatly benefited the top percent while hurting the lower classes stop, but for some odd reason they refuse to.

I've said over and over and over and over that it has to stop. Somehow up is down when I note that it is not the governments place to make sure the markets expand every year but those who once held that position now call me a "conservative" for holding that position.

My position is far more liberal than the vast majority of those who consider themselves liberal but they really aren't, they are highly partisan Democrats, nothing more. It's not the poor they care about but rather the party.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:41 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I've tried to point out a couple times that this is the problem not minimum wage but no one wants to discuss that.
Unfortunately its easier to set back, whine about only receiving minimum wage, and wait for all those factory blue-collar jobs to appear back on our horizon. Wal-mart itself could be an excellent source if they would go back to their "Made in the USA" mode.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:45 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
People don't shop at Walmart for "made in USA" they shop their because it is cheap. Which insures that wages are driven lower if and when they are the only game in town.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:49 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
People don't shop at Walmart for "made in USA" they shop their because it is cheap. Which insures that wages are driven lower if and when they are the only game in town.
If folks want higher wages.. maybe they should DEMAND Wal-mart start carrying made in the USA and start purchasing those items. Money talks... Bull sh*t walks. If Wal-mart felt it.. would they make a change?

Old 09-06-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Unfortunately its easier to set back, whine about only receiving minimum wage, and wait for all those factory blue-collar jobs to appear back on our horizon. Wal-mart itself could be an excellent source if they would go back to their "Made in the USA" mode.
Again, there is no proof that it is actually the minimum wage earners protesting. Quite the opposite.

It's in part those who ran some of these jobs overseas doing to whining. I say that not being absolutely anti-union as if that is what people want they should be able to do that, just don't go running people out of even more jobs.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:52 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
If folks want higher wages.. maybe they should DEMAND Wal-mart start carrying made in the USA and start purchasing those items. Money talks... Bull sh*t walks. If Wal-mart felt it.. would they make a change?
The even sadder truth is one not often acknowledged. People don't by "made in the USA" because they cannot afford "made in the USA". That is another of the underlying reasons why manufacturing has dwindled the way that it has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies