Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 12:52 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,021,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
If folks want higher wages.. maybe they should DEMAND Wal-mart start carrying made in the USA and start purchasing those items. Money talks... Bull sh*t walks. If Wal-mart felt it.. would they make a change?
That isn't Wal-Marts fault. It's yours (said in the generalization sense). When Wal-Mart undercut another dept store with a Chinese made item, we flocked to them to buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 12:56 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,129,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Again, there is no proof that it is actually the minimum wage earners protesting. Quite the opposite.

It's in part those who ran some of these jobs overseas doing to whining. I say that not being absolutely anti-union as if that is what people want they should be able to do that, just don't go running people out of even more jobs.
I have so many mixed emotions about unions. I am pro private unions and against public unions. It used to be that union workers (at least in hubbies line of work) were better skilled, better trained, had a much safer working record, etc.) They still do.. for the most part. However; with that being said... the gap is closing fast.. and union management sure doesn't do themselves any favors when it comes to how they are perceived.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,371,229 times
Quote:
That isn't Wal-Marts fault. It's yours (said in the generalization sense). When Wal-Mart undercut another dept store with a Chinese made item, we flocked to them to buy it.

WTF did you expect poor people to do? Shop at other stores they cannot afford???

Why is it that with some people, poor people are damned if they do and damned if they don't?

Old 09-06-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Unfortunately its easier to set back, whine about only receiving minimum wage, and wait for all those factory blue-collar jobs to appear back on our horizon. Wal-mart itself could be an excellent source if they would go back to their "Made in the USA" mode.

Walmart is an excellent source of vitamins A, C, and E.

Last edited by freemkt; 09-06-2014 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: annd

Old 09-06-2014, 01:13 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,509,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
WTF did you expect poor people to do? Shop at other stores they cannot afford???

Why is it that with some people, poor people are damned if they do and damned if they don't?
If I hear you right, the poor demand lower price but higher pay.

How would you expect the business such as Walmart to function under that kind of requirement?

Old 09-06-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Actually I didn't. I've never liked Wal-mart... but yes.. I understand what you are saying. But doesn't the government have some responsibility in this equation as well. Instead of making it easier for Wal-mart to buy those Chinese products and sell them so cheaply, perhaps, just maybe they should have taken the "Let's look out for our own manufacturing" position?

Old 09-06-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Could anybody from the supporters of this paying liveabld wage idea tell me where the money must come from to pay for the wage increase?

Any other points are moo until you can answer this question.

That is why, while the herd clamors for a living wage, I find a solution in the other direction, through lower cost of living for low-wage workers. Which conservatives also dislike.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If I hear you right, the poor demand lower price but higher pay.

How would you expect the business such as Walmart to function under that kind of requirement?

I'm not sure whether both demands come from the same people; I view lower prices as preferable to higher pay.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:23 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,021,490 times
Quote:
People should look at the big picture as to what they can afford.

Quote:
They would be less damned if the jobs were still here. You will note that I blame the politicians for this far more than the people even though it still comes down to the people voting them in.

Yes, you are responsible for yourself, poor, middle class or rich.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
That is why, while the herd clamors for a living wage, I find a solution in the other direction, through lower cost of living for low-wage workers. Which conservatives also dislike.
We'd all like a lower cost of living... but realistically it will be just like ObamaCare. Were we not told that medical costs would go down when everyone had OCare? Are medical costs going down? LOLOLOL Conservatives like plans that make fiscal sense... there's a difference. Tell me how to lower the cost of living for people without putting your hand in my pocket again and again. Convince me it can be done. (And don't give me the you rent and government is keeping you down story.) Tell us how you would lower the cost of living for all Americans........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies