Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 01:32 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
Well, that was maybe a good idea in XIV century but not today, when professions became highly specialized. Just to cover healthcare you need about a 100 neighbors of different specialties exchanging services between themselves. Your idea of how a contemporary, highly advanced society would work is simply absurd.
I will tell you something really absurd. Almost anyone can make more than minimum wage by doing anything of value for those around them. Mowing lawns, washing windows, delivering groceries, imagination is the only limit. When you just throw up your hands and leave yourself at the "mercy" of what an "employer" will offer you, as though there was no other alternative, then you get what you ask for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 01:36 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why don't you go take the job? I am pretty sure they would pay you 50 million.
I'm not criticizing Walmart, yea I had some fun at their expense making up nonsense but as I said before, they have an incredibly smart business plan. I wish I was half as smart.

The only thing they need to improve upon is employee turnover, and that's because of the costs to train new ones.

My SIL went there two years ago for a 2nd job, they gave her the paperwork to sign up for the Snap program, food stamps and a state healthcare. Absolute genius.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
I will tell you something really absurd. Almost anyone can make more than minimum wage by doing anything of value for those around them. Mowing lawns, washing windows, delivering groceries, imagination is the only limit. When you just throw up your hands and leave yourself at the "mercy" of what an "employer" will offer you, as though there was no other alternative, then you get what you ask for.
I have a better one, walking dogs. My oldest boy 14 years old did that this past summer, it got so ridiculous that I had to help out after work. 15 an hour isn't bad to walk a dog.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
I have a better one, walking dogs. My oldest boy 14 years old did that this past summer, it got so ridiculous that I had to help out after work. 15 an hour isn't bad to walk a dog.
I hear you. Glad to hear that your son is learning about the free market first-hand instead of from the State propaganda machine and its boot-licking subjects. The one bonus to being in a State controlled economy is that you can charge more than your are probably worth in the black market because it only has to compete with the ridiculous costs of the State destroyed marketplace where everything is overpriced because of compliance and control. So those in the black market get added profit while charging a lower cost than "traditional" slaves of the State. LOL

Last edited by irspow; 09-07-2014 at 02:06 PM..

Old 09-07-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I hear you. Glad to hear that your son is learning about the free market first-hand instead of from the State propoganda machine.
I can't believe how many people won't walk their dogs, and how much they'll pay someone to do it.

I'm far from a genius when it comes to business, I run my plumbing business but its just me, so I don't have to be a Walton to figure out my costs to run it. If I ever grow a set and could trust a builder to pay at least every 30 days instead of 90 days, or whenever they feel like it, I could hire an apprentice and another plumber to take some of workload. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that builder is out there, I just haven't found them yet. I'm gonna learn something from my two night a week business class that starts next week, very excited I am!

Old 09-07-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I can't believe how many people won't walk their dogs, and how much they'll pay someone to do it.

I'm far from a genius when it comes to business, I run my plumbing business but its just me, so I don't have to be a Walton to figure out my costs to run it. If I ever grow a set and could trust a builder to pay at least every 30 days instead of 90 days, or whenever they feel like it, I could hire an apprentice and another plumber to take some of workload. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that builder is out there, I just haven't found them yet. I'm gonna learn something from my two night a week business class that starts next week, very excited I am!
That raises an interesting trend I saw in the construction industry when it was booming. All of the builders that I dealt with started their own financing. I was in awe at the genius of cutting out the banks. They would finance a 800k house that they got all the subs to build (maybe 500k in cost)...and collect interest on an 800k loan for the house to the buyer. They were collecting interest on 300k that never exchanged hands. LOL And then they would only pay the subs after the house sold...and these were large builders like Toll and U.S. Homes that I am talking about.

Imagine collecting interest on 300K that you never really loaned! It was a beautiful fraud. LOL

Old 09-07-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
That raises an interesting trend I saw in the construction industry when it was booming. All of the builders that I dealt with started their own financing. I was in awe at the genius of cutting out the banks. They would finance a 800k house that they got all the subs to build (maybe 500k in cost)...and collect interest on an 800k loan for the house to the buyer. They were collecting interest on 300k that never exchanged hands. LOL And then they would only pay the subs after the house sold...and these were large builders like Toll and U.S. Homes that I am talking about.

Imagine collecting interest on 300K that you never really loaned! It was a beautiful fraud. LOL
Its amazing what they can get away with. We have Schell Brothers and Ryan homes, Schell Brothers helped take down Wilmington Trust bank, they even went bankrupt in a few states, but here in Delaware, they have thousands of homes going up. I can't get away with the stuff Builders can, I had to work 12,000 hours documented under a master plumber, plus pass my journeyman test, then master license test, before I could even start on my own.

Give anyone a few hundred thousand dollars, and they can become a builder, hell anyone can with or without money all they need is a contractor license. They make the most and have the least responsibility since they can go bankrupt anywhere and start over, it doesn't work that way in the trades.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Its amazing what they can get away with. We have Schell Brothers and Ryan homes, Schell Brothers helped take down Wilmington Trust bank, they even went bankrupt in a few states, but here in Delaware, they have thousands of homes going up. I can't get away with the stuff Builders can, I had to work 12,000 hours documented under a master plumber, plus pass my journeyman test, then master license test, before I could even start on my own.

Give anyone a few hundred thousand dollars, and they can become a builder, hell anyone can with or without money all they need is a contractor license. They make the most and have the least responsibility since they can go bankrupt anywhere and start over, it doesn't work that way in the trades.
I just thought that it was funny. Not haha but amazingly surprising. That they figured out a BIGGER scam than what banks pull off every day. Theoretically, at least the bank is making some sort of investment when they loan money. These builders were not even pretending that they were investing anything. They were collecting interest on money that didn't even exist. Only the Families of the Federal Reserve have a bigger scam going, and that is the biggest scam in the world.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:55 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:

Why is that a fraud? I hope you are being sarcastic.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why is that a fraud? I hope you are being sarcastic.
If I build a house for 500K. Choose to sell it for 800K. Then loan you "800K" to buy my 500K house and collect interest for 800K while I really only loaned you the 500K that built the house for. Remember, these are not banks here. These are the builders. They are collecting "interest" on money that they never loaned anyone. A bank would have to loan the buyer 800K to buy the house, theoretically, money changed hands. The bank had to send a check to the builder for 800K so they charge interest on 800K. The builder really only loaned 500K and still charged interest on 800K. They did not have to send anyone a check for 800K. Hell, they wouldn't even pay the contractors who actually put out the 500K until the house sold. This is why many builders now don't even have framing crews anymore. The entire house is constructed with subcontractors money and the "builders" are just banks make fictional loans...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies