Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 09:53 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
That is a very naive position.
Everything goes up anyway, regardless of minimum wage. Minimum wage hikes didn't cause gas prices to go up, or coffee prices, cigarette prices, car prices, cable prices, Internet prices.

I don't think the government should set any wages for a private employer, but acting like minimum wage going up will destroy the country with higher costs is ridiculous. Everything goes up, except TV's they have been pretty steady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 09:53 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You think. Most people these days ARE working more than 40 hours a week, and not just retail/service people. Those people who make a crap load of money? They work longer than 40 hours a week.

Don't even preach to me about being poor. I've been poor...more poor than you can even imagine. Anything I say, it's because I've done it. I didn't ask for, nor expect, anyone to help me get myself back up. I did it through hard work. If you can't afford your lifestyle, then change your lifestyle. That is NOT the responsibility of any other person on this planet.
Why are you so angry?

It is absolutely the responsibility of society to create an environment where an honest full day of work puts food on the table. Don't advocate all of society to suffer so you can feel better about your own past.

Quote:
Smack yourself again. As stated, I've been more poor than what the OP showed in her post. I've been there. It's called, "Don't even try to play me, I know EXACTLY what it's like, and whining, pissing, and moaning that you can't afford your cell phone bill isn't going to fly with me. Come see me when you're homeless and starving to the point of losing 30 pounds in a month. THEN we can talk. Until then, cry me a river about how hard it is. Get up off of your backside and work.
Irrelevant. You will not regress this country back to third world status where children are starving.

Quote:
You don't understand economics one iota, I see. As for "getting it", please. I get it far better than you do. Keep asking for higher wages, watch those jobs get shipped overseas. You either need to up your skills and get a better job, or you can sit back and wait, crying for more and more entitlements...eventually, those all come to an end, and this country will be living a much different lifestyle. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
I understand the complexities of economics far more than you. There is always someone on the planet willing to do work for less pay. Keep shipping jobs overseas, keep creating more welfare recipients. Guess who is paying for the welfare?

Quote:
Moving the goal posts? The OP presented a table. I used that same table. If you would like to present another table, then you make one up. You don't get to change the table when someone shows you how it's wrong. You don't like that table, take it up with the OP.

As for children, if you work at McDonald's, you have no business having children. Oh look, that's another one of those CHOICE things...you CHOOSE to get involved with someone and get a kid out of the deal. Not one single business forced you to do that. YOUR CHOICES, as I stated, are why you (general you) cannot afford to live on $14,000 a year. It IS possible to live comfortably on that...but it does require that you realize what is needed, and what is a want. Most people in this country have a severe entitlement mentality...present company included.
Why not? You don't get to dictate who can have children and who can't. If someone sweats their balls off in a fast food kitchen for 40 hours a week they deserve to put food on the table just the same as anyone else.

$14,000 / year doesn't put food on the table in any major city in this country. Just try to see how far $14,000 / year lasts you in New York.

Quote:
Oh the old, "can't call in an emergency" argument again. Really people? Really? You do realize that you do NOT need a cell phone plan to call the emergency number? You do know that, right? You can go buy a cheap old cell phone in the store, NO PLAN NECESSARY, and as long as it has battery life, you CAN call 911, and it doesn't cost $50 a month. Fail.
It isn't free, and it is a requirement. Are you willing to bring back payphones on every street corner?

I didn't think so.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:56 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You're WRONG.

"On the age point, 2012 Current Population Survey data from the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics show the median age of front-line (the people who take orders or cook food) workers, including those at fast-food restaurants and excluding managers, is 29.2."

Learn the difference between "median" and "average" and then get back to us.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
You wrote a very long post unnecessarily. The answer, like your question, is quite simple.

There's nothing wrong with it. The problem comes in when you try to force employers at the barrel of a gun to pay a wage that's too high for the position being filled. If the job - not the person - if the JOB isn't worth that much, then it will no longer be offered by the employer. No employer is going to lose money on an employee.
To hell with employers.

Society sets the minimum standard by which employers can treat employees in this country. We legislate what we feel we deserve. America deserves to be a first world country, so the regressives need to move out of the way and stop blocking it.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:58 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
You wrote a very long post unnecessarily. The answer, like your question, is quite simple.

There's nothing wrong with it. The problem comes in when you try to force employers at the barrel of a gun to pay a wage that's too high for the position being filled. If the job - not the person - if the JOB isn't worth that much, then it will no longer be offered by the employer. No employer is going to lose money on an employee.
Exactly. If I'm forced to add $40,000 cost for ever single job, no matter how low skilled it is, then I'll automate everything that I can, if after doing as much automation as I can, and still cannot run my business for a profit, I'll just not bother to open the doors.

I remember the old days, when gas stations had teenagers sweeping floors, emptying trash, pumping you gas, checking the oil, tires, wipers, fluids and clean your window, and gas was only 60 cents a gallon. Teenagers were flocking to the gas stations, theaters, restaurants, etc..., working for 50 cents to a dollar an hour. When is the last time anyone went to a theater that had ushers?

How on earth could those gas stations stay in business? Why did those teens work for those wages? Now everyone needs $20 an hour, free health insurance, and maybe even a 401k and a pension, and we wonder where all the jobs are going.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
You're WRONG.

"On the age point, 2012 Current Population Survey data from the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics show the median age of front-line (the people who take orders or cook food) workers, including those at fast-food restaurants and excluding managers, is 29.2."

What is your point?

Half the people working minimum wage jobs are older than 29.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Reading is your friend. Managers and owners are excluded from the survey. Thanks for playing!
The arrogance of some people...

Reading is YOUR friend, too, mlassoff. You should read YOUR OWN links before misquoting them.

Shouldn't you? Or are you exempt from the "reading is your friend" rule?

Old 09-08-2014, 10:00 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Exactly. If I'm forced to add $40,000 cost for ever single job, no matter how low skilled it is, then I'll automate everything that I can, if after doing as much automation as I can, and still cannot run my business for a profit, I'll just not bother to open the doors.

I remember the old days, when gas stations had teenagers sweeping floors, emptying trash, pumping you gas, checking the oil, tires, wipers, fluids and clean your window, and gas was only 60 cents a gallon. Teenagers were flocking to the gas stations, theaters, restaurants, etc..., working for 50 cents to a dollar an hour. When is the last time anyone went to a theater that had ushers?

How on earth could those gas stations stay in business? Why did those teens work for those wages? Now everyone needs $20 an hour, free health insurance, and maybe even a 401k and a pension, and we wonder where all the jobs are going.
People want to price themselves out of the market.....how foolish is that???

Old 09-08-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
If it was wrong, then all these "service sector" people would not be turning to the government for food stamps. And they are.
No, they're not.

My business is in the "service sector" and nobody here is making anywhere close to $7.25/hr.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
You're WRONG.

You typed "wrong" as if he was so far off that it was comical.

Median and average may have 2 different meanings, but if the median age is 29.2, im guessing the average age isnt in the teenage years, which is the point he was making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies