Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 04:05 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,384,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Nope, I don't look down on anyone who takes a minimum wage job. I do, however, look down on people who refuse to improve their own situation and instead want the government to force their employer to pay them more.
That is a contradictory stance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 05:33 PM

11,103 posts, read 10,659,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
That is a contradictory stance.
What's contradictory about it?

Old 09-14-2014, 05:45 PM

1,259 posts, read 825,669 times
Quote:
What's contradictory about it?

You really don't get it, do you? Are you making a minimum wage? Lol

Old 09-14-2014, 06:06 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,732,375 times
It is not contradictory.

You can not look down on someone earning minimum wage.

While still looking down on someone earning minimum wage demanding more just because....

If you want to earn more, you have to become worth more. No one becomes worth more just because they want it. Their value is dictated by the market. As has been pointed out probably about 500 times in this thread alone. If you provide a service that is worth minimum wage, wishing, whining, begging, demanding, crying, whatever, will not make you worth one iota more. To earn more than minimum wage you have to provide a service that is worth more. It really is not rocket science. Ask your neighbor if he will pay you $100 an hour to sleep on his front lawn. You may believe that it is worth $100 an hour, but that does not mean anyone is going to give it to you. And if they don't, regardless of what you believe, you aren't worth it to them.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
It is not contradictory.

You can not look down on someone earning minimum wage.

While still looking down on someone earning minimum wage demanding more just because....
I don't think any of the posters here is making the minimum wage, I demand because it's inhuman to expect people to work and pay them so little that they're still below the poverty line. How can we entice people to leave welfare rolls if all we can promise them are jobs paying less than a livable wage???

Old 09-14-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
You really don't get it, do you? Are you making a minimum wage? Lol
Nope. But I used to. I figured out pretty quickly that I didn't like it, so I found ways to improve my skills and move on. I don't have time - and probably don't have the space here - to list every job I've had in the last 25 years. Suffice it to say that my interests are varied, and none of my improved skills cost me anything but time and a few very nominal fees (less than $100 for testing). That's why I laugh at anyone who says they are stuck in a minimum wage job or that minimum wage is all that is available. I've proven myself that neither is true, and I know too many others who have started out - and ended up - like me. Do I make a 6 figure income? No, but I don't do badly for myself and everything I do is something that I enjoy.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
I don't think any of the posters here is making the minimum wage, I demand because it's inhuman to expect people to work and pay them so little that they're still below the poverty line. How can we entice people to leave welfare rolls if all we can promise them are jobs paying less than a livable wage???
Nobody is promised anything, actually, nor should they be. If you want to be self-sufficient and get off the welfare roles you will, plain and simple. Not to sound like a motivational speaker, but the only thing stopping you is yourself.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:23 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,800,954 times
Quote:
Nobody is promised anything, actually, nor should they be. If you want to be self-sufficient and get off the welfare roles you will, plain and simple. Not to sound like a motivational speaker, but the only thing stopping you is yourself.
The issue is we need to change the idea of welfare. Right now it is you make under the poverty line, you get benefits and then once you make more, you instantly don't. That encourages minimum wage work because you get paid, get government cheese, medicaid, milk, housing, phones and various other forms of welfare. We need to shift to more of a gradual decrease above the poverty line other wise the government encourages you to stay there because you lose it all if you do actually try to be self-sufficient.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Nope. But I used to. I figured out pretty quickly that I didn't like it, so I found ways to improve my skills and move on. I don't have time - and probably don't have the space here - to list every job I've had in the last 25 years. Suffice it to say that my interests are varied, and none of my improved skills cost me anything but time and a few very nominal fees (less than $100 for testing). That's why I laugh at anyone who says they are stuck in a minimum wage job or that minimum wage is all that is available. I've proven myself that neither is true, and I know too many others who have started out - and ended up - like me. Do I make a 6 figure income? No, but I don't do badly for myself and everything I do is something that I enjoy.

When was it? 30? 20 years ago? Well before illegals took most low paying jobs and outsourcing pushed all the good blue collar jobs abroad?

Old 09-14-2014, 07:31 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,384,784 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The issue is we need to change the idea of welfare. Right now it is you make under the poverty line, you get benefits and then once you make more, you instantly don't. That encourages minimum wage work because you get paid, get government cheese, medicaid, milk, housing, phones and various other forms of welfare. We need to shift to more of a gradual decrease above the poverty line other wise the government encourages you to stay there because you lose it all if you do actually try to be self-sufficient.

Most of our welfare spending is people on food stamps that are working!

Knock off the strawman arguments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies