Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 12:49 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,611 times

Advertisements

I've worked in retail and food service and honestly it's not an easy peasy job. It might not require a lot of complex skills or an abundance of brain cells, but it's strenuous on the body, plus it involves working with customers, who can be really a pain in the a$$ a lot of times. On top of that you are usually required to work nights, weekends, holidays etc.

The argument I keep seeing is that these jobs are a step up to something better. However, my counter argument is (1) not everyone is management or trade school material what have you. And (2), looking at the job reports and trends, we are creating a lot of service/retail jobs and not too many skilled jobs. Imagine every retail/service employee went to trade school, will there be jobs for them all?

What is wrong with these people that ring up your coffee to be paid a wage that can afford them a place to live not in the ghetto, food on the table, utilities, a decent vehicle, entertainment and some money to put away. Why do these people have to work 2 or 3 part-time min-wage jobs, just to scrape by. Yes it's not rocket science, but it's still work. Honest work at that. I can tell you that I don't work as hard in my "cushy" office job as I did when I was serving tables in college. At least in the office I don't deal with customers, I can take a break when I want, go online etc.

Here's my math. Average McD's employee makes $7.62/hr (I saw on the news this morning). Lets say this person works 40 hours and then makes $304.80/week or $15,240/year (50 weeks). Taxes would be roughly $400 on this income, single. Expenses might look like this (I'm in Florida):

Rent/bills: $500/mos -$6000 for the year
Cell phone: $50/mos - $600 year
Health Insurance: $200/mos - $2400/yr
Car insurance: $50/mos - $600/yr
Clothes: $300/yr
Food: $100/mos - $300/yr
Gas: $80/mos - $960/yr
Car maintenance: $500/yr
Total: $11,660

This leaves roughly $280/mos for savings/entertainment. Maybe I'm missing some expenses, but these are mine. There is no way to raise a child on this income. Even if it's two earners, most of the expenses double and rent goes up for a bigger place. What if there is an emergency or you need to pay your insurance deductible, there is no thing left. Even upping this person's wage to just $12/hr would give them some room for emergencies/savings etc.

What I'm getting at is, are these peoples not deserving of vacations, children, savings, not having to scrape by. I mean they are putting in 40 hours of labor as well. And to the argument that they can't even get your order right - my argument is there is probably not a lot of motivation. I know I would put in more effort not to get the order wrong and not to get fired if I was making $12/hr vs. $7. Maybe not start out at $12/hr, but after a year or so employment and having proved yourself, why not make $12/hr? There are companies out there that pay these wages and still turn decent profits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 12:51 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Yes, the lame title makes it difficult to realize this is a long thread already on this topic.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...xplain-me.html

Old 09-05-2014, 12:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Let the government subsidize their wages then.
Business pays them $8/hour and government kicks in another $7/hour.
There's your $15/hour.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:54 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's your $15/hour.
They already do in food stamps, Medicaid, housing programs, welfare...

These companies are making the taxpayers subsidize their business, when they should pay the full costs of their labor.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:54 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,594 times
You're 100% right about everything you posted but don't expect some retired old-farts who want to protect their fixed incomes and get everything for a nickel, to side with you here. They don't care, they are out of the work force themselves, some used to have well-paying union jobs but now they only want to cut out coupons and buy everything for 99c which of course requires cheap labor. That's the real deal about our "conservatives" here. They're simply cheapskates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I've worked in retail and food service and honestly it's not an easy peasy job. It might not require a lot of complex skills or an abundance of brain cells, but it's strenuous on the body, plus it involves working with customers, who can be really a pain in the a$$ a lot of times. On top of that you are usually required to work nights, weekends, holidays etc.

The argument I keep seeing is that these jobs are a step up to something better. However, my counter argument is (1) not everyone is management or trade school material what have you. And (2), looking at the job reports and trends, we are creating a lot of service/retail jobs and not too many skilled jobs. Imagine every retail/service employee went to trade school, will there be jobs for them all?

What is wrong with these people that ring up your coffee to be paid a wage that can afford them a place to live not in the ghetto, food on the table, utilities, a decent vehicle, entertainment and some money to put away. Why do these people have to work 2 or 3 part-time min-wage jobs, just to scrape by. Yes it's not rocket science, but it's still work. Honest work at that. I can tell you that I don't work as hard in my "cushy" office job as I did when I was serving tables in college. At least in the office I don't deal with customers, I can take a break when I want, go online etc.

Here's my math. Average McD's employee makes $7.62/hr (I saw on the news this morning). Lets say this person works 40 hours and then makes $304.80/week or $15,240/year (50 weeks). Taxes would be roughly $400 on this income, single. Expenses might look like this (I'm in Florida):

This leaves roughly $280/mos for savings/entertainment. Maybe I'm missing some expenses, but these are mine. There is no way to raise a child on this income. Even if it's two earners, most of the expenses double and rent goes up for a bigger place. What if there is an emergency or you need to pay your insurance deductible, there is no thing left. Even upping this person's wage to just $12/hr would give them some room for emergencies/savings etc.

What I'm getting at is, are these peoples not deserving of vacations, children, savings, not having to scrape by. I mean they are putting in 40 hours of labor as well. And to the argument that they can't even get your order right - my argument is there is probably not a lot of motivation. I know I would put in more effort not to get the order wrong and not to get fired if I was making $12/hr vs. $7. Maybe not start out at $12/hr, but after a year or so employment and having proved yourself, why not make $12/hr? There are companies out there that pay these wages and still turn decent profits.

Last edited by random_thoughts; 09-05-2014 at 01:35 PM..

Old 09-05-2014, 12:56 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,594 times
Quote:
There's your $15/hour.

And what government would that be that contributes $7 to their salaries and why would these subsidies have to come out of my taxes? You eat at my mcdonalds so I'll let you pay the full value of the "food" there, don't touch my taxes.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:57 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes, the lame title makes it difficult to realize this is a long thread already on this topic.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...xplain-me.html
Kind of a different thread. Lame response.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:58 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post

Here's my math:

McDonald's worker makes $7.50, they pay $7.50 for McDonald's meal.
McDonald's worker makes $75.00, they pay $75.00 for McDonald's meal.
McDonald's worker makes $750,000,000, they pay $750,000,000 for McDonald's meal.

It's not just the minimum workers that gets a raise, if I'm making $12.50 and the minimum goes to $12.50 I deserve and expect a substantial raise. The person above is going to expect the same.... The cost of everything goes up and the minimum wage worker is back to square one.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:58 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
There's your $15/hour.
Didn't you mean to say "Let the tax payer subsidize their wages then."

Sorry folks but a Minimum Wage is not, nor was it intended to be, a Living Wage. If a person wants that they need to improve their skills and get a job that pays a living wage.
That said, I would have not problem with the minimum wage following along with inflation, to be updated every four years and to take into account the inflation rate over the last four years when making the adjustment, I doubt most would have an issue with that.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:59 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
well it works like this...

if companies do what you want, then there are some things that naturally follow. everyone else further up the food chain demand more money.

companies just saw a huge spike in wage inflation so they inflate the cost of their goods and services to pay for the wage inflation.....

Guess what? your people at the bottom that you were so happy you helped are now at some level below a livable wage.

wash
rinse
repeat...

its called economics. look it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies