Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 06:04 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,136,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Steps in a home increase the risk of fall which is the number one killer in homes.
Bravo Bravo, let me rep. that for you. Uhh, this is the Acorn stair lift thread, right ?????? jk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 06:20 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It was from March 2013 in Lethoso, South Africa. I can't find any news items other than the video. How anyone can look at the US and Africa as analogous when it comes to the need for guns is beyond me--bizarre rationalization for having guns here. Using this is pro-gun desperation.
Lethoso? I don't think so. Mislabeled?

South Africa drives on the left side of the road and the demographic is not characteristic of Lethoso.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:21 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Just fine since I'm actually Canadian and can indulge in ownership of firearms just as the U.K can if they so choose.
Ah, I must have had you confused with someone else on here..... Bamford, I believe it was.
Quote:
The ban is only on some types of firearms, not all of them, but admittedly, while carrying an old Ithica Pump stuffed down my pants leg might entice the ladies, it sure as hell wouldn't work well in the high noon shoot out you all fantasize about.
More stereotypical propaganda I see.
Quote:
I honestly believe half of you lust for the occasion you find yourselves present when some nut opens up so you can play John Wayne.
Nope, not at all. While I can't say definitively what I would do in that situation until I'm actually in it, right now my plan would be to try to extricate myself from the situation as fast as possible. I'm not looking to be a hero, I just want to keep myself safe.
Quote:
Fear of American gun culture? Nonsense! We are not afraid of American gun culture as long as it stays American.
Yet here you are on an American based forum talking about American policy. Strange, that. I have a lot of objections to your countries assault on religious liberty and frredom of speech when it comes to matters of homosexuality, but I'm not going to go to a Canadian forum and talk about it, as long as it stays Canadian.....

Religious Freedom in Canada

Old 09-06-2014, 09:29 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Ah, I must have had you confused with someone else on here..... Bamford, I believe it was.

More stereotypical propaganda I see.

Nope, not at all. While I can't say definitively what I would do in that situation until I'm actually in it, right now my plan would be to try to extricate myself from the situation as fast as possible. I'm not looking to be a hero, I just want to keep myself safe.

Yet here you are on an American based forum talking about American policy. Strange, that. I have a lot of objections to your countries assault on religious liberty and frredom of speech when it comes to matters of homosexuality, but I'm not going to go to a Canadian forum and talk about it, as long as it stays Canadian.....

Religious Freedom in Canada

Well our Religious Freedoms or lack thereof aren't coming across your border in numbers, but your guns on the other hand........?

American guns fuel violence in Canada

US Freeman convicted in absentia for attempted gun smuggling into Canada : Calgary Beacon

The gun pipeline: Mules who bring firearms across border pay high price for fast money | Toronto Star

Gun smuggling charges for Markel Chiles, former U.S. judge - British Columbia - CBC News

Old 09-06-2014, 10:06 PM

66 posts, read 51,220 times
Anyone who thinks this is rare, you're welcome to spend hundreds of hours reading about thousands of other cases of defensive gun uses.

Defensive Gun Use

Old 09-07-2014, 06:07 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Another example of why people should have standard capacity magazines for self defense. It isn't always just one person attacking you and your family.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i-OIlbVggR0
I'm cool with that, so long as those people have had to abide by a decent legal controls process to close obvious loopholes for crazies to exploit. We should recognize, though, that this also entails costs from the standpoint of weapons carrying citizens accidentally shooting innocent people, family members at night, etc. They are, after all, generally not Seal team members in terms of their tactical training.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:31 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I'm cool with that, so long as those people have had to abide by a decent legal controls process to close obvious loopholes for crazies to exploit. We should recognize, though, that this also entails costs from the standpoint of weapons carrying citizens accidentally shooting innocent people, family members at night, etc. They are, after all, generally not Seal team members in terms of their tactical training.
The real problem is they're sometimes not even capable of the basic cognitive reasoning required to operate a blender without getting themselves and the surrounding kitchen wet, much less be trusted to perform faultlessly with a firearm anywhere within the proximity of another sentient being.

Accidental Shooting

I mean c'mon here! A moron attending Arlington Cemetery (where guns are illegal) opens the door of his car and a gun falls to the ground and under his car so as the moron is attempting to retrieve it, he shoots his passenger in the foot?

Round chambered, safety off, unsecured weapon, in his damn car, with other people riding with him?

A friend in Lousiana admitted to me that upon picking up his Ford pick-up truck after having repair work done to it, the service rep handed over his expensive Colt Defender .45ACP he'd missed and presumed stolen from his truck 3 years prior. The ex Vietnam vet was somewhat chagrined to have to accept a lecture on gun safety from a car dealership service desk rep. The thing was filthy from laying under his driver's seat in a working truck for those three years cocked and locked, where the mechanic discovered it while tracing the wiring for the seat belt interlocks. He made a point of telling me how embarrassed he was when the service rep handed him the gun, the magazine, and the ejected round, one at a time in three separate pieces, to underscore his little lecture.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:50 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times

Sounds like the Criminals are the problem not law abiding Canadians. You guys may want to look at your Immigration policy too and see who Canada is letting in?

Just a thought?

Old 09-07-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Step back and read your post again. When you get to the bolded part consider this; Americans are victims every single day.

You made a choice to abandon a more reasoned approach to "Western Justice", arrived at in the 1800's to limit guns within your population centers to encourage a more civilized environment, and now you are victims every day due to that desire to simply proliferate the gun ownership for the sake of nothing more than personal desire while using the 2nd amendment as a faux precept to do so.

Now, you've arrived at a point where thousands of Americans are victims every year because you're killing each other. You're in a race to the bottom and accelerating via Newton's 2nd law.

You have no choice now but to ride this out to it's most logical conclusion of having you hand constantly hovering over your holster when being approached by each other, by being fearful to venture out of your bunker with your family because everybody out there is armed with an ever greater percentage of them being dangerous nutcases.

Two hundred years of pendulum swinging and you're right back where you were just prior to a hue and cry for law enforcement to force compliance of leaving your weapons at the sheriffs office.

Well done!
Bravo back at you! You very good at picking out none points.
Quote:
You made a choice to abandon a more reasoned approach to "Western Justice", arrived at in the 1800's to limit guns within your population centers to encourage a more civilized environment,

I highlighted your point , because criminals do not care how civil you think you are. All the criminals and what be thugs are laughing their buts off if they read this one liner. They do not care and they want what you have. Bottom line!

No is suggesting one to open carry everyday. That why we have Law enforcement and most of the time we have professionals who respond in a matter of minutes ( 8 Minutes average in a city environment)Most of the time I think Law enforce is on and overall do a good job.

But, there are defense situations where on may feel more secure, lets say if you are carrying concealed. The best defense however is to move away from a bad situation and keep aware of your surroundings.
In other words do not act like sheep and keep your head out of your IPod for 10 minutes!

If you are in control of your environment, the chances are we will not be a victim of a crime.

To be very frank, a few less gun carrying thugs is OK to me. Western Justice!

Chicago and Detroit are rethinking their gun laws because they cannot control the criminal element in their cities. California has been pushed back by the Supreme Court that their " new Gun laws "are unconstitutional.

When we see the police department at your home with yellow tape, we will see how well your theory worked. Then you sir, will be at the gun shop the very next day and learning about Home Defence / Personal Defense!

Old 09-07-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Lol--how did a thread about a bunch of machete-wielding criminals in South Africa turn into a thread about social justice blaming the left for all of society's ills?

You do realize that society in the US is very different than South Africa correct? Or do you just have the need to insult the left as much as possible during your waking hours?

When the Left goes on useless theory that works in a class room? This not real life.

Besides the Left has not love for the Conservatives ideal of independent freedoms.

Back on topic! Yes I do actually, but there are those who would love to see a worldwide gun band and I will not let this "highly educated liberals " tell me how to protect my family.

There is a post on this forum that describes the very same thing in Milwaukee , where a man took out several gang members trying to rob him. This kind of violence is catching on with " Flash Gangs"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies