Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should space exploration be a prority?
Yes 62 78.48%
No 17 21.52%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 01:25 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
America is broke because of republican supply side tax cuts (tax cuts for the rich.) When Clinton was in office we had a balanced budget and no debt growth. But then GW Bush gave Americas rich a $2.5 trillion dollar tax cut, and this reduced our governments revenues, it created deficits, and then the deficits went to our national debt. And because of our high national debt we don't have any money.

Bush Tax Cuts After 2002: June 2002 CTJ Analysis
http://www.skymachines.com/US-Nation...ental-Term.htm

And the private sector is only concerned about making profits. Without the government and NASA we would never have went to the moon or even have satellites in orbit.
NASA employees aren't the only ones with their heads in the clouds. The federal government confiscates plenty of wealth, stop making excuses for it to steal more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 01:34 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Maintaining Americas empire here on planet earth is bankrupting us and you want to expand to other planets because an asteroid might wipe us out? Send a donation and leave the rest of us alone.
Why don't republicans send donations to the rich, instead of giving them government handouts like the following?

Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

Republicans say government should not give the poor money, instead people should do it in their personal lives. Why don't those rules apply to giving the rich money?

Old 09-06-2014, 01:39 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Should space exploration be a priority?
Yes. But not for the doomsday reasons some individuals are citing. Space should be explored in order to enhance and expand our knowledge and understanding of space and of Earth itself. It shouldn't be political and it shouldn't be a proof of which country is better. That's all BS.

And I don't care if the US doesn't send another person or group of persons into space. I'm more interested in what we discover than who discovers it. And I'm not worried about when. So we don't go today, tomorrow, next year, next decade - it's ok. We will always have time. Space will always be there. What we must do is continue to build up the mountain of human knowledge and understanding. We are nowhere near the peak.

[]

Old 09-06-2014, 01:44 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
We went to the moon between 69 too 70s. But since then we haven't bothered. So rather than going to war with some poor middle eastern country and wasting money, why don't we spend it on looking for new planets, landing on Mars, and building solar panels on the moon to ensure consistent electricity to the World.
Why can't the USA, the Commonwealth, Europe, China, Russia (if they leave Ukraine alone!), and parts of south America join forces and produce a race that will find other planets.
I mean, planet Earth is becoming over populated, and we need to find ways to ensure that are population can advance further than anywhere on Earth?

It may sound over the top and optimistic. But remember what President Kennedy said: JFK RICE MOON SPEECH

I think it's important what do you think?
I think all sciences should be priorities. Would love to see more investment in space.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Yes. But not for the doomsday reasons some individuals are citing. Space should be explored in order to enhance and expand our knowledge and understanding of space and of Earth itself. It shouldn't be political and it shouldn't be a proof of which country is better. That's all BS.

And I don't care if the US doesn't send another person or group of persons into space. I'm more interested in what we discover than who discovers it. And I'm not worried about when. So we don't go today, tomorrow, next year, next decade - it's ok. We will always have time. Space will always be there. What we must do is continue to build up the mountain of human knowledge and understanding. We are nowhere near the peak.

[]
One day a huge asteroid or comet will hit the Earth and kill all life on this planet. Don't you think its a good idea to get some humans living on the moon, Mars, or another planet?

Old 09-06-2014, 01:48 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
One day a huge asteroid or comet will hit the Earth and kill all life on this planet. Don't you think its a good idea to get some humans living on the moon, Mars, or another planet?
If others want to cite that as a reason for space exploration, that's fine with me.

[we can come to the same conclusion for different reasons]

Old 09-06-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
If others want to cite that as a reason for space exploration, that's fine with me.

[we can come to the same conclusion for different reasons]
I apologize for not fully understanding your initial post, but I understand it now.

Chad.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:56 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
The space program and all the ancillary benefits and discoveries that have come from it have shown that it is more than worth the money and time not only to continue it but make it a top priority.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:01 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times
EVERY "modern" convenience is directly or indirectly linked to the Military or Space program.
Before the space days the exploration was Earth bound.

Should Space exploration be a priority ? YES YES YES.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:09 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:

[]
Ehh... yeah, space will always be there but there's not guarantee we'll always be here. Humans could die off in the blink of an eye. Seriously, a super virus could show up and kill all of us in a year. I say we get to space as soon as we can.

Quote:
Actually, not all life. There are organisms on the ocean floor that live completely independently of other life or the sun. Theoretically, if an asteroid his the Earth, the debris would cover the atmosphere and Earth's surface temperature would rise, and if the toxins in the air released from the Earth didn't kill everyone, the heat probably would. An ice age could possibly follow the heating of the Earth. But as long as the oceans aren't completely destroyed, which I suppose could happen with a large enough impact, those organisms would live on, and evolve, repopulated the earth after a few billion years (assuming the sun hadn't already expanded and engulfed the Earth by that time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies