Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 10:55 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,968,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
... unless you can prove you got it legally.

Police confiscate millions of dollars from citizens not charged with any crimes, claim you MUST have got it illegally and are not required to give it back unless you can prove you acquired the money legally. Now go get a lawyer to get your money back.

Stop and seize | The Washington Post

"America, Land of the Free"
Theft by authorities was legitimized with the court packing that enabled Social Security.

Anyone who complains about it, but supports legalized theft by government has nothing to whine about, as they endorse theft by government in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 11:03 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
These SHAKE DOWNS don't just happen out in the country etc. A scam The Kansas City police Dept used to use was this as told to me by several old black men sitting across from a warehouse we had and right next to a Police maintenance garage.

The cops stops a guy from the inner city. Quite a few inner city residents have had some sort of interaction or seen what happens with cops. In other words they have been busted for something in the past. The cops search the guy and take his cash from him. They say come down to the station and prove it is yours and you can have it back. Joe the victim is definitely reluctant to walk into any police station. The Kansas City cops have 7 days to turn in their report on the situation. They wait 7days before they fill out the report and if JOE victim doesn't show up. then he just pockets the cash and never includes Joe the victim in his report.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:17 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Finally some justice has returned...

Eric Holder Keeps Chipping Away at 'War on Drugs'

Old 01-17-2015, 06:25 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it as doing anything about the problem. Seems to me, while good, all this is saying is that the federal government will no longer take a cut. That states can still do it.

I suppose that would make the legal battle a little less expensive.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:53 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
There is another thread on this. It doesn't appear to me that Holder's action is of much import. The NYT story on this says that the shared forfeiture system was put in place when states did not have forfeiture, but all 50 states now have it. Also the program remains in place for operations where state/local officers join forces with federal officers, and that seems to me increasingly common.

I don't claim to be an expert on the topic, so we'll have to see what people like Radly Balko have to say about this move. For now it looks to me like window dressing.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:31 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
But really...why should I have to justify it at all? Isn't "innocent until proven guilty" part of the basis for our laws?
Hasn't been for a long time, my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies