Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 11:48 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I didn't get a single scholarship. Again, my dad put me (and all of my siblings) through college.
What year were you born? I suspect you're twice my age. My dad paid for his own college in full on factory wages...back in the 60's.

Hasn't worked like that since the 90's. Few parents can afford to send one let alone multiple kids all the way through college anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 01:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
What year were you born? I suspect you're twice my age. My dad paid for his own college in full on factory wages...back in the 60's.

Hasn't worked like that since the 90's. Few parents can afford to send one let alone multiple kids all the way through college anymore.
I'm 49.

What difference does it make anyway? You were broke then and living in mommy's basement and that's still your situation.

Last edited by desertdetroiter; 09-16-2014 at 01:12 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Not their responsibility, so I never asked them to.

Thankful for it as well, spoiled children make useless adults.

Worked well for me. Them too since they were slowing down a bit even back then and needed the help around the house/property so it was a mutually beneficial arrangement.

I prefer a profit to a revenue neutral assessment. Again, I'm not from Detoilet so I value silly things like "profits".
Profit while you were living at home with mommy?

I didn't have to earn a profit while I was in school. There was no need to do so. You did what you had to do, I did what I WANTED to do.

And again, why are you telling me where you aren't from?

Old 09-16-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I'm 49.

What difference does it make anyway? You were broke then
Not broke, left the Army was 25k in cash. Chose to be responsible with it. I'm aware "responsibility" is an alien concept to a member of the EBT army, but there you have it.

Quote:
and living in mommy's basement
I wish that house had a basement, got hot in the summer there.

Quote:
and that's still your situation.
Nope. Homeowner, 2500 sq ft in a nice neighborhood. 50% down, got a killer low fixed rate.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I'm 49.

What difference does it make anyway?

It matters that you think you can brag your folks gave you a free ride when this was not a particularly great sacrifice back then. Things have changed a lot cost wise since your old ass was kicked into the local ghetto college to get you out of the house.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:46 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
It matters that you think you can brag your folks gave you a free ride when this was not a particularly great sacrifice back then. Things have changed a lot cost wise since your old ass was kicked into the local ghetto college to get you out of the house.
Kreutz, you make alot of stupid assumptions.

1) Do you even know what college/university desertdetroiter went to?
2) Do you know for a fact if it was in "a ghetto"?
3) And do you know for a fact that if his parents got him into college to get him out of the house or if it was his own choice to go to college?

And furthermore, if you cannot back up what you said in bold, answer this. Was that comment more or less a way of venting frustration and hatred towards Black people? Just do the honorable thing give straight answers to all of these questions.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Not broke, left the Army was 25k in cash. Chose to be responsible with it. I'm aware "responsibility" is an alien concept to a member of the EBT army, but there you have it.

I wish that house had a basement, got hot in the summer there.

Nope. Homeowner, 2500 sq ft in a nice neighborhood. 50% down, got a killer low fixed rate.
Lol...like 25k is REAL MONEY.

Please. You must be easily impressed.

And like 2500 sq ft is some sort of anomaly in house size!

That's nothing more than a typical home nowadays. That ain't baller status.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

3) And do you know for a fact that if his parents got him into college to get him out of the house or if it was his own choice to go to college?

And furthermore, if you cannot back up what you said in bold, answer this. Was that comment more or less a way of venting frustration and hatred towards Black people? Just do the honorable thing give straight answers to all of these questions.
Pay it no mind. It's no big deal...seriously.

Let folks live out their fantasies.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, can't spell "assume" without "ass" and "me" can we?

Quote:
To bundle these together he's from Detoilet and this would be circa 1980's since he is a few years younger than my father.

What educational facility could it possibly exist besides some burned down ghetto husk in 1980's Detoilet?

Quote:
There is a distinct impression based on his animosity towards returning to ones own childhood home for a brief period of time indicative of serious projection of a problematic home life where family cohesion wasn't valued much. I can't see parents eager enough to fork over 100% of the cost multiple times wanting their kids around.

But, midwest black family dynamics are alien to me. As Long Island jewish/Italian/whatever else got in there dynamics would be alien to him.

Quote:
And furthermore, if you cannot back up what you said in bold, answer this. Was that comment more or less a way of venting frustration and hatred towards Black people?
Just one crotchety old one.

Also, why would I hate black people as a whole? My own personal experiences with them are ~90% positive.

Quote:
Just do the honorable thing give straight answers to all of these questions.
What else could I give? Not much room for ambiguity in text.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:27 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
To bundle these together he's from Detoilet and this would be circa 1980's since he is a few years younger than my father.

What educational facility could it possibly exist besides some burned down ghetto husk in 1980's Detoilet?
Detroit city, or the suburbs of Detroit? Did you ever ask that?

I'm guessing you haven't heard of Cass Tech, or Wayne State. And he might have not gone to school in Detroit proper. You only know of Detroit in the 80s. You don't know anything about HIM.

And furthermore, do you even know if he went to college in Detroit or not? Last I checked, MICHIGAN as a state has alot of decent schools.

Quote:
There is a distinct impression based on his animosity towards returning to ones own childhood home for a brief period of time indicative of serious projection of a problematic home life where family cohesion wasn't valued much. I can't see parents eager enough to fork over 100% of the cost multiple times wanting their kids around.

But, midwest black family dynamics are alien to me. As Long Island jewish/Italian/whatever else got in there dynamics would be alien to him.
Really? Do you know anything about HIS family? Not Black Midwestern dynamics, but HIS family?

By the way, my father is Black and from the Midwest, born in the 1950s. He had BOTH parents. Both parents worked, both parents made sure he did what he was suppose to. His own father died on the job. So maybe I was right that you make alot of assumptions.

Quote:
Just one crotchety old one.

Also, why would I hate black people as a whole? My own personal experiences with them are ~90% positive.
Well, I've only seen you make negative comments about Black people, and then justify them. How else can I take that other than you have a strong resentment towards Blacks? Why else would someone make mainly negative comments towards Blacks other than out of resentment and hatred?

Quote:
What else could I give? Not much room for ambiguity in text.
My whole point. Straight answers. I was also trying to get you to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies