Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 05:21 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattoedDad View Post
My oldest is 8. She likes boys. My middle is 5. He has 2 girlfriends according to him. The youngest has yet to start school.Raise them in a traditional family with traditional roles aka not allowing the boy to dress in girls clothes and play with barbies etc and you have no problems. In another words I will be the MAN the wife will be the WOMAN and the kids will be whatever gender they were born with. Simple.
How you raise your kids has no influence on their sexuality.

Me and my sister and my two brothers were all raised in a "traditional" family with "traditional" roles. I'm gay, my brothers and sister are straight. And my gender is still male - that has nothing to do with my sexuality. In fact, of the 3 boys I'm the most masculine, most athletic, etc.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:34 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
I do not believe a 15 year old knows their sexuality.

A few gay experiences does not make you gay.

Just like a few straight experiences does not make you straight.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:40 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
My oldest is 8. She likes boys. My middle is 5. He has 2 girlfriends according to him. The youngest has yet to start school.Raise them in a traditional family with traditional roles aka not allowing the boy to dress in girls clothes and play with barbies etc and you have no problems. In another words I will be the MAN the wife will be the WOMAN and the kids will be whatever gender they were born with. Simple.
Um, no. As many parents could tell you, your method is not grounded in reality.

(Note - I have a younger cousin who loved to play with dolls when he was five. I know this worried my uncle, but they wisely decided not to make any kind of deal about it. My cousin grew up to marry a woman, be a dad, and build houses for a living.)

But, carry on.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

I think essentially every human being knows his or her sexuality by 15. I knew I was gay at 10 (becoming aware of my sexuality coincided with puberty).

And "gay experiences" don't make people gay just like "straight experiences" doesn't make people straight. Sex acts don't define sexuality (sexuality influences with whom you have sex acts). I was gay - and knew I was gay - at 10 even though I didn't have any type of sexual experience - gay or straight - until 8 yeas later.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:43 PM

430 posts, read 379,790 times
Well that's grand.I don't really listen to others on how to raise MY kids but thanks for the story.I knew I would catch flak for my view of it but its my view.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:46 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

This is true, and parents who get all bent the minute they suspect their kid is showing signs of homosexuality are reacting counter-productively.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:47 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Well that's grand.I don't really listen to others on how to raise MY kids but thanks for the story.I knew I would catch flak for my view of it but its my view.
Well then, perhaps you should bow out of the discussion, because by participating in this manner you certainly have invited criticism. That said, I hope it all works out for you.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:12 PM

542 posts, read 692,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Some recent information has indicated that around 25% of kids who come out to their parents as LGBT are homeless within a year.

Do you think it really is this high? If it is, then we have some serious problems with people not following the Bible on issues of hospitality and showing love to your enemies.

I wonder about this though, because these surveys also seem to indicate the average age of coming out is 15. Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that most people who come out don't do so fully until around 20-25.
There's a recent (Sept 3) article in Rolling Stone that discusses these heart-breaking situations: The Forsaken: A Rising Number of Homeless Gay Teens Are Being Cast Out by Religious Families.

They do state this about the age of coming out:

Quote:
The Center for American Progress has reported that there are between 320,000 and 400,000 homeless LGBT youths in the United States. Meanwhile, as societal advancements have made being gay less stigmatized and gay people more visible – and as the Internet now allows kids to reach beyond their circumscribed social groups for acceptance and support – the average coming-out age has dropped from post-college age in the 1990s to around 16 today, which means that more and more kids are coming out while they're still economically reliant on their families.
And this was really disturbing to me:

Quote:
"The summer that marriage equality passed in New York, we saw the number of homeless kids looking for shelter go up 40 percent," says Carl Siciliano, founder of the Ali Forney Center, the nation's largest organization dedicated to homeless LGBT youth.
I'm guessing the kids thought with relief, hey, it's legal now, we should be accepted, and then wham, mom and dad kick them out on the streets. Just awful.

I don't know why the parents aren't held accountable. Parents are supposed to be responsible for minors, right? I mean, in some states parents are hauled into court if their kid is truant enough times at school.

And if we can post the faces of johns in prostitution stings, why can't we post the faces and names of these parents? So we all know who these people are?

Old 09-08-2014, 06:22 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,811 times
I don't think being gay is a mental illness. But I do see a huge spike in these ultra gsy over the top fem 'guys.' I think that type of behavior borders on mental illness or is all an act.

I would support my son if he was gay. I would not support him if he decided to live his life acting like Jack from Will and Grace.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
I don't think being gay is a mental illness. But I do see a huge spike in these ultra gsy over the top fem 'guys.' I think that type of behavior borders on mental illness or is all an act.

I would support my son if he was gay. I would not support him if he decided to live his life acting like Jack from Will and Grace.
Um, a small minority of gay men act "fem", but then again so does about the same percentage of straight guys. Most of the feminine men I've known were/are straight (they gravitate towards sub-cultures like hipsters and goths).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies