Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 04:06 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,081,027 times

Advertisements

Some recent information has indicated that around 25% of kids who come out to their parents as LGBT are homeless within a year.

Do you think it really is this high? If it is, then we have some serious problems with people not following the Bible on issues of hospitality and showing love to your enemies.

I wonder about this though, because these surveys also seem to indicate the average age of coming out is 15. Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that most people who come out don't do so fully until around 20-25.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:15 PM

5,667 posts, read 5,100,446 times
What's wrong with showing love from a distance?

Old 09-08-2014, 04:18 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,688,964 times
Good topic, but I don't have much data to go around, and I don't want to put up false facts. I tend to agree most people come out I guess in their twenties, some do so in their teens, I bet more so now than in the past. And if the teens, later teen years 17-19.

Whatever the numbers are, it should go down to none. It's better to not come out until you are independent, just in case.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:25 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,157,905 times
Enemies? You think that a parent not only stops loving their child, but they actually classify them as an ENEMY just because they're gay?

Wow.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:29 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,402,779 times
I think in the past thirty years or so, it was typical for gay teens to come out to selected friends around age fifteen, but their parents/families in their twenties or even later; it may be dropping to the teen years for both groups now, especially in communities that are more accepting of gay people.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:32 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,122,446 times
It's a massive problem. Studies have shown that between 40-50% of homeless teenagers are LGBT. They've also show that about 33% of these homeless LGBT teenagers turn to prostitution and drugs within days of living on the street. It's a main reason why the gay community has a larger problem with substance abuse, mental health, and HIV/AIDS issues than society in general.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:04 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,795,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Enemies? You think that a parent not only stops loving their child, but they actually classify them as an ENEMY just because they're gay?

Wow.
Dunno how the parents feel, but it is indisputable that parents throw out teenagers who come out as gay. You wonder how that parent thinks an underage child can support her/him self. Many underage prostitutes are doing it so they can eat.

Just google "parents throw out gay teen".

I think it is obviously true that this is indicative of a family that is unhappy for plenty of reasons. I seriously doubt that parents who have a genuinely good relationship with their kid would throw him/her out just because of gayness, even though they might be deeply upset.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:05 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,081,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Wow.
I obviously don't think that, but rather I'm saying that if the Bible says not to repay evil for evil, and to show hospitality and love towards your enemies, how much more should parents show love to their LGBT children as opposed to disowning and violently assaulting them.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:06 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,122,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Dunno how the parents feel, but it is indisputable that parents throw out teenagers who come out as gay. You wonder how that parent thinks an underage child can support her/him self. Many underage prostitutes are doing it so they can eat.

Just google "parents throw out gay teen".

I think it is obviously true that this is indicative of a family that is unhappy for plenty of reasons. I seriously doubt that parents who have a genuinely good relationship with their kid would throw him/her out just because of gayness, even though they might be deeply upset.
I had a friend when I lived in Portland (my college years) whose parents walked in on him kissing another boy at age 14. His dad threw him out of the house at the barrel of a shotgun - didn't even give him time to pack a bag. He was addicted to meth and HIV positive by the time he was 16.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:12 PM

430 posts, read 380,446 times
My oldest is 8. She likes boys. My middle is 5. He has 2 girlfriends according to him. The youngest has yet to start school.Raise them in a traditional family with traditional roles aka not allowing the boy to dress in girls clothes and play with barbies etc and you have no problems. In another words I will be the MAN the wife will be the WOMAN and the kids will be whatever gender they were born with. Simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies