Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 09:10 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Anyone who is smart would send their kid off to a country where RWNJ's aren't running around like the wild-wild west.

If you ignore the rhetoric and propaganda from BOTH sides, and just look at pure data-driven stats, then your child is safer in a country that does not have legalized firearms. I'm not talking about isolated cases, I'm talking about statistics, with levels of certainty. I'm sorry, but you'll never convince me that you'll enhance the safety of a first-grader by letting anyone who chooses to wield a concealed firearm. There are far more instances of people getting killed by guns that were legally sold than there are of people being saved by them. (in fact, even most of the guns that are illegally in possession were legally sold first. If they were not available legally, then they'd be much more difficult (and expensive) to make it to the hands of those who don't abide by the law. Hence why countries like Japan have a much lower instance of gun violence and death than USA.)

That said, in America, it is our constitutional right to bear arms. While I think it's a mistake, I support the Constitution, so I don't begrudge it.
The fly in your soup is that the fact of the matter is there are Millions of guns already legally owned by citizens and the only way one can get to a gun free society one has to confiscate all the guns owned legally and illegally, even attempting to do so would result in a civil war. How about this, instead of attempting to take the guns away from responsible citizens first go take them away from those that actually commit the vast majority of gun involved crimes, criminals, when you have that accomplished get back to us and maybe some would be willing to give theirs up. Personally I will never give up mine, they are tools that can not only protect my family and property they are also capable of putting food on the table is needed and in todays world that may just become a reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 10:17 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
Do you feel safer knowing some potential nut job is packing around your kids?
I'd rather they had enough sense not to.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:44 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Do you feel safer knowing some potential nut job is packing around your kids?
I'd rather they had enough sense not to.
Maybe you should read what I posted on that part of the topic, let me help, I feel it is the right of any person, business or government agency to determine if guns are allowed to be carried on their property. Oh, learn to use the Quote function, it is located at the bottom right of every post and there is a general one at the bottom of the page.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:19 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,776 times
Since when do people have to apologize for exercising a civil right?

Old 04-23-2015, 12:00 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Since when do people have to apologize for exercising a civil right?
When statists are involved.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:03 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
There's an elementary school 3 blocks from my house. I've been thinking about doing some community service and looking out for the safety of those kids by grabbing my AR-15, heading down to the school, and patrolling the grounds. Pretty good idea, right?
Absolutely! That is if it's legal, you have the proper training, and everyone is aware that you'll be out there patrolling.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You can never be too careful some of those elementary school functions can turn ugly.

This is what you get with the guns everywhere laws in GA, paranoia reigns supreme. We know we can trust bringing guns into schools, no history of problems there.
Guns everywhere laws? Would you care to cite those laws, discuss them in depth, and provide some educated feedback? Right- I didn't think so.

In this deep blue state there are only four places where guns are prohibited by law. It looks like we must have some of those dang "guns everywhere" laws!

Old 04-23-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's just common sense not to go into an elementary school unarmed. Those kids can go nuts on you just as fast as any adult and if you don't have adequate firepower to defend yourself you are the next statistic waiting to happen.

Consider:

Consider:

Driving to and from the function

Getting into a car in a dark parking lot (in a known gun free zone)

This is not really as cut and dry as the anti gun nuts would like to make it out to be.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:18 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So you are for carrying guns on school property?
Well, this is a perfect example. If you are not armed you are a sitting duck for anybody who decides to take you out at any time.

This vic may have thought he was safe because he was in a gun free zone, but all it took was one incident to prove him wrong. Bad guys don't care about gun free zones and the perp could have dropped this man in his tracks over something as minor as a parking space.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:35 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Why are schools so special and fragile that the mere presence of a harmless piece of metal is to be forbidden?
It's about as harmless as a piece of Crystal Meth. Do you advocate for allowing crystal meth on campus? After all, crystal meth can't kill anyone, unless someone ingests it. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies