Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 06:22 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'm a baby boomer and if change were happening that was a positive to our society then I would accept that but it isn't.
That's only your perspective. You don't represent all boomers at all.
I, too, am a boomer and I disagree totally with you, and I don't represent all boomers, either.

This is what really represents the boomer generation. Half of us have not agreed with the other half since the 60s, and it's unlikely agreement will ever be more widespread among us.

This is not the case with the Gen X and Millennial generations, especially the Millennials. And both are rising political forces, not dwindling as the boomers are. Our parents and grandparents are now pretty much gone from politics now. We are the parents and grandparents.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:44 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I, too, am a boomer and I disagree totally with you, and I don't represent all boomers, either.

This is what really represents the boomer generation. Half of us have not agreed with the other half since the 60s, and it's unlikely agreement will ever be more widespread among us.

This is not the case with the Gen X and Millennial generations, especially the Millennials. And both are rising political forces, not dwindling as the boomers are. Our parents and grandparents are now pretty much gone from politics now. We are the parents and grandparents.
I'm an old Gen X and, we're a mixed bag too.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:33 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:

So are you saying that society is moving in the right direction? If so, you are among the minority among baby boomers.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:55 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
No.

America can't be ethnically homogeneous to begin with, because we brought over blacks hundreds of years ago. I am more "American" than most white people in this country.

The people who want a country to be ethnically homogeneous need to found their own country with a distinct set of laws. They must also mandate at least 2.1 children so that their population remains stable.

How is ethnically homogeneous Japan working out? (birth rate is 1.21)
It's working out fine. Japan is the third largest economy in the world and one of the most advanced. They are already overpopulated, so a population decrease won't be such a bad thing. And considering the advances in robotics, it's likely for the best that their population declines, as they'll be able to have a higher standard of living with less people to support.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:54 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So are you saying that society is moving in the right direction? If so, you are among the minority among baby boomers.
No. I'm not saying it moving in either the right or wrong direction. It is moving where it's going to go, just as everything does. The right direction is always what the majority of us say it is.

And I am not in a minority of boomers. That's only your perception alone. You get it from never associating with the boomers who disagree with you.

I, too, tend to run around with those who agree with my perceptions, so I'm no closer to being right than you are, but I admit to it and don't try to claim what I don't see myself.
What I see is the same old split I've seeing for the past 50 years, as permanent and petrified as ever, while other sands around us are constantly moving and shifting.

The fact is we remain very divided as a generation. At our age, I sincerely doubt you will ever have an epiphany and change your beliefs. I doubt I will, either. That's why I never bicker with you in the Illegal Immigration forum, or even go there.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
No. I'm not saying it moving in either the right or wrong direction. It is moving where it's going to go, just as everything does. The right direction is always what the majority of us say it is.

And I am not in a minority of boomers. That's only your perception alone. You get it from never associating with the boomers who disagree with you.

I, too, tend to run around with those who agree with my perceptions, so I'm no closer to being right than you are, but I admit to it and don't try to claim what I don't see myself.
What I see is the same old split I've seeing for the past 50 years, as permanent and petrified as ever, while other sands around us are constantly moving and shifting.

The fact is we remain very divided as a generation. At our age, I sincerely doubt you will ever have an epiphany and change your beliefs. I doubt I will, either. That's why I never bicker with you in the Illegal Immigration forum, or even go there.
No, the majority isn't always right and yes you are in the minority of boomers who like the direction that this country is moving in. Most boomers are not in favor of illegal immigration either. Most boomers are not flaming liberals they lean right. Only a few leftover from the hippie era are liberals. How does the saying go? "If you are young and not a liberal you have no heart, if you are older and not a conservative you have no brain"?

Old 10-07-2014, 07:08 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
- socially, culturally, etc. - it was more ethnically homogeneous?
I honestly believe if it wasn't for racial minorities in the country, if it was 100% Caucasian European then I would probably be considered a minority and lower class because I'm German ancestry. Someone always has to carry the brunt of ignorance in a society. Judging people by the color of their skin is pure ignorance.

So would there be less turmoil? I really don't know, but what I believe is that we really need to end all this nonsense of treating people different because they look different. Either you're an American or you're not. Act like one or go back where you came from. No more Affirmative Action, no more special rights. Just stop all the nonsense and help people learn skills so the country can compete.

I just read that 1 out of 3 jobs are going to be done by robots by 2025. People are going to have to wake up and learn some real skills to survive in this society.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:15 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Irrelevant to the discussion. You're talking about economics, I'm talking about the overall health of the community at large.

It doesn't address who they import (if they are importing immigrants) into their culture. America (and Europe) are importing alien peoples into our countries and it's only to our detriment. If we were importing Germans, Swedes, Italians, etc. I wouldn't have much of a problem with it as they would be sharing a common ethnic background with most of America. (For example).
I get tired of the endless ponzi scheme of humanity as well. What is wrong with a 1.21 birth rate? We have plenty of humans on this planet, we should be working towards getting the World's population back down to a sustainable level like it was for thousands of years before oil/energy development.

We should be working on developing the quality of life of people, not the endless population increase.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:20 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
We'd face less turmoil if we were culturally and intellectually homogeneous. Skin color is such a crude, blunt tool for measuring differences or assigning/measuring behavior/intellect. Thing is, given my education, intellect and culture, I have more in common with Dr. Thomas Sowell than I do with maybe 20 million white people who are on welfare.

I base my associations on a person's intellectual and personality value in my life, and I can't recall ever caring for even one minute about the skin color of any friend I've ever had. My father's best and oldest friend is black, and the reason they are each other's best and oldest friend is because of common interests, intellect, and personalities. Skin color is totally irrelevant.

And ponder the standard antagonisms between ethnicities. They are typically based on differences in perceived culture, behavior, and attitude (personality), which is to say they are typicaly based on ignorance of the individual and employing racial stereotypes to assign culture, behavior and personality.

If America was smarter as a whole, we'd have less conflict. But, we get dumber as a collective people every day, which is why our current trajectory has us landing in 2nd/3rd World status within the next 100 years.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I get tired of the endless ponzi scheme of humanity as well. What is wrong with a 1.21 birth rate? We have plenty of humans on this planet, we should be working towards getting the World's population back down to a sustainable level like it was for thousands of years before oil/energy development.

We should be working on developing the quality of life of people, not the endless population increase.
I so agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies