Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2014, 07:49 AM

62,934 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
We'd face less turmoil if we were culturally and intellectually homogeneous. Skin color is such a crude, blunt tool for measuring differences or assigning/measuring behavior/intellect. Thing is, given my education, intellect and culture, I have more in common with Dr. Thomas Sowell than I do with maybe 20 million white people who are on welfare.

I base my associations on a person's intellectual and personality value in my life, and I can't recall ever caring for even one minute about the skin color of any friend I've ever had. My father's best and oldest friend is black, and the reason they are each other's best and oldest friend is because of common interests, intellect, and personalities. Skin color is totally irrelevant.

And ponder the standard antagonisms between ethnicities. They are typically based on differences in perceived culture, behavior, and attitude (personality), which is to say they are typicaly based on ignorance of the individual and employing racial stereotypes to assign culture, behavior and personality.

If America was smarter as a whole, we'd have less conflict. But, we get dumber as a collective people every day, which is why our current trajectory has us landing in 2nd/3rd World status within the next 100 years.
This!!!

Old 10-07-2014, 09:17 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, the majority isn't always right and yes you are in the minority of boomers who like the direction that this country is moving in. Most boomers are not in favor of illegal immigration either. Most boomers are not flaming liberals they lean right. Only a few leftover from the hippie era are liberals. How does the saying go? "If you are young and not a liberal you have no heart, if you are older and not a conservative you have no brain"?
Agreed and it ain't just a "boomer" thing. IMHO the REAL reason we become more "conservative" as we get older is because our bodies are more fragile and, it's tougher on us to try to compete with people 25 years younger. Word is it ain't just us blue collar kind who have problems; many college educated dude and ladies are now being cut out because of outsourcing. I'm an old Gen X dude, almost a Boomer.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:36 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

If America was smarter as a whole, we'd have less conflict. But, we get dumber as a collective people every day, which is why our current trajectory has us landing in 2nd/3rd World status within the next 100 years.
In where, Detroit? New Orleans? lol. Minnesota is doing quite fine. But we are around 85 percent Anglo. We are testing the highest in the nation in testing.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:17 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
In where, Detroit? New Orleans? lol. Minnesota is doing quite fine. But we are around 85 percent Anglo. We are testing the highest in the nation in testing.
First Minnesota is hardly 85% Anglo. Minnesota is more like 85% German/Swedish/Norwegian, who just happen to speak English.

American ethnicity map shows melting pot of ethnicities that make up the USA today | Daily Mail Online

Secondly, does it really matter if you barely score higher than most other states in a country which comes in almost last place compared to other developed nations?

In this study, Minnesota seniors had an average math proficiency of 43%. Germany is at 45%, Finland is at 56%, and South Korea is at 58%.

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/pepg/PDF/...Challenged.pdf

For reference, California, which is objectively one the most successful states in America, has a math proficiency of only 24%.

Which leads us to the reality of the situation. Average rates of education have very little to do with the success of a country. Secondly, qualitative education rates have very little to with intelligence. Further, the average education received in government schools doesn't exactly explain anything about the world. Government educations are about teaching people basic skills and then the oft-repeated pro-government propaganda. Thereby enabling you to be "good employable citizens" for the benefit of "the collective".

I don't believe such a disregard for philosophy, history, and freedom, while turning a blind-eye to an inconvenient reality, can ever produce positive results. Educated to national standards or not, people certainly feel increasingly more ignorant over time. At least, they are ignorant about the things that actually matter.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
First Minnesota is hardly 85% Anglo. Minnesota is more like 85% German/Swedish/Norwegian, who just happen to speak English.

American ethnicity map shows melting pot of ethnicities that make up the USA today | Daily Mail Online

Secondly, does it really matter if you barely score higher than most other states in a country which comes in almost last place compared to other developed nations?

In this study, Minnesota seniors had an average math proficiency of 43%. Germany is at 45%, Finland is at 56%, and South Korea is at 58%.

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/pepg/PDF/...Challenged.pdf

For reference, California, which is objectively one the most successful states in America, has a math proficiency of only 24%.

Which leads us to the reality of the situation. Average rates of education have very little to do with the success of a country. Secondly, qualitative education rates have very little to with intelligence. Further, the average education received in government schools doesn't exactly explain anything about the world. Government educations are about teaching people basic skills and then the oft-repeated pro-government propaganda. Thereby enabling you to be "good employable citizens" for the benefit of "the collective".

I don't believe such a disregard for philosophy, history, and freedom, while turning a blind-eye to an inconvenient reality, can ever produce positive results. Educated to national standards or not, people certainly feel increasingly more ignorant over time. At least, they are ignorant about the things that actually matter.
Uh; "anglo white" at least here in Arizona means any white person who's NOT "Hispanic". So us Americans of Irish, German, Italian, and even Arab family here are counted as anglo.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:57 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; "anglo white" at least here in Arizona means any white person who's NOT "Hispanic". So us Americans of Irish, German, Italian, and even Arab family here are counted as anglo.
That must be an Arizona thing because I have never heard anyone call anyone else "Anglo-white" in my entire life. In fact, I have never personally heard anyone referred to as an "Anglo" in my entire life. In almost every case I have ever heard someone referred to as an "Anglo", it was something written on the internet about the historic tension between the "Francophones" and the "Anglophones" in regards to Quebec.

As a general rule in Oklahoma, we have like five racial/ethnic classifications, white, black, Mexican, Asian, and indian(which actually refers to the American-Indians). Oklahoma doesn't receive a lot of immigrants other than from Mexico and central America. In most cases, if you are Guatemalan or El Salvadorean or Colombian or whatever, you'll just be called a Mexican. If you are lucky, you'll be called Hispanic.

I don't recall anyone being called an "Anglo" when I lived in Florida or Georgia either. Though in Florida, you didn't want to call Cubans, Mexicans. They got pretty offended.

In most of the world, Anglo refers to people of English ancestry, or people who speak English. Never heard it used as a blanket term for "non-Hispanic white people".

Old 10-10-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
That must be an Arizona thing because I have never heard anyone call anyone else "Anglo-white" in my entire life. In fact, I have never personally heard anyone referred to as an "Anglo" in my entire life. In almost every case I have ever heard someone referred to as an "Anglo", it was something written on the internet about the historic tension between the "Francophones" and the "Anglophones" in regards to Quebec.

As a general rule in Oklahoma, we have like five racial/ethnic classifications, white, black, Mexican, Asian, and indian(which actually refers to the American-Indians). Oklahoma doesn't receive a lot of immigrants other than from Mexico and central America. In most cases, if you are Guatemalan or El Salvadorean or Colombian or whatever, you'll just be called a Mexican. If you are lucky, you'll be called Hispanic.

I don't recall anyone being called an "Anglo" when I lived in Florida or Georgia either. Though in Florida, you didn't want to call Cubans, Mexicans. They got pretty offended.

In most of the world, Anglo refers to people of English ancestry, or people who speak English. Never heard it used as a blanket term for "non-Hispanic white people".
That must like you described in Oklahoma. Maybe there ain't many "Hispanic" people there and most are either legal or US citizens; you know more about things there than me.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:19 PM

62,934 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
That must like you described in Oklahoma. Maybe there ain't many "Hispanic" people there and most are either legal or US citizens; you know more about things there than me.
Many Hispanics refer to any non-Hispanic whites as "Anglos".

Old 10-10-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Many Hispanics refer to any non-Hispanic whites as "Anglos".
Agreed and many Hispanic people HATE it when even a white "Hispanic" tries to walk away from the la raza BS and self ID as "anglo". Kinda like wanting to keep people in the "barrio".

Old 10-10-2014, 05:46 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times
Quote:

You're splitting hairs. It's an irrelevant, moot point. The reality is you can classify us as any number of terms - "white," "Caucasian," "Anglo," "European-American" and so on.

I just chose "Anglo" as the term in the former post.

Anglo-America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies