Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 01:25 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
"the recession ended in june2009...5 months into Obama's admin"

The "hero" keeps making this statement, but without explaining what it means or the point of repeating this declaration over and over. Another case of knowing a fact or two but not understanding them...

Just FYI, when the NBER declared the recession over in 2009, they did not mean to confuse or suggest our economy was recovered or that the threat of recession was over -- far from it. The "Great Recession" may have ended in 2009 according to strict economic definition, but the losses and impact of that recession that continued to weigh on Americans for years still to this day were profound and widespread.

To suggest that Obama or America could pop the champagne and simply move onto other things in 2009 or that maybe the work was done by then is more spinning of facts to shore up an all too obvious sad and misguided anti-Obama agenda, forever trying to subvert the truth with BS.

June 2009: stock equities were still recovering from an incredible plunge, not back to the before highs and a good deal lower than where they are today. Economic growth had decelerated to an animic rate of 1.6 percent. Our economy had shrunk by the biggest drop since the 1930s. Household spending, home equities, all in the tank. Foreclosures everywhere. 8 million jobs lost!

And yet there are nit wits who still deny the recession was all that bad and/or that all was well by 2009?

Hello?

Just arrived on the planet?

I could go on, but as explained before..., when an argument is so bad right from the start, why bother with the rest?

and yet you IGNORE the facts and definations

a recession: 2 consequative qtrs of decline

end of a recession: 2 consequative qtrs of gains
the fact is BY DEFINATION the recession had ended by 3rd qtr of fy09 ( june 09)...5 months after Obama was sworn in.... and NOT ONE OF HIS POLICIES helped end it

hasd it taken YEARS to recover...yes it has.... but that does not change the fact that the recession ended WITHOUT any of the 'new' admins help

so enough with the insults...drive on with your blinders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 01:43 PM

590 posts, read 714,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
What has been accomplished during it? Not much. Where you want to assign blame for that is up to you.. But.. There is/was a lot of talk.. Some pretty speeches with no followup.

There's good, there's bad.. Seems like a total wash.

Obama’s Numbers (July 2014 Update)

Good examples of things there.

S&P up 145%.. That.. Smells like a bubble that's gonna pop for whoever is next, much like the dot-com bubble did at the end of Clinton's presidency

Unemployment is down, but long term unemployment (and labor force participation, which isn't tracked there) are up

Jobs are up, but real pay is stagnant, while corporate profits are soaring (Obama has apparently been great for the 1%?)

Food stamp rolls are up.. But.. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have no problem with feeding people that need it. It's bad that it's up, but, it's up more because qualification has been loosened.

Crude production and alternative energies are way up while oil imports are way down.. Can't find a bad thing to say about that.. Someone will say it could be better.

New car MPG is up.. But.. Again, something not tracked there.. The cost of a new car is up about the same amount.

Debt numbers suck. Home ownership is down, but.. Not horribly.

For every good, there's a bad. And about in equal numbers.. So.. it seems like a total wash. And, that seems to be ticking people off.. His average approval ratings over the course of his presidency are lower than GWBs. I think that being seen as a 'do-nothing' is worse in the public perception than someone who does things that you totally disagree with. Obama's got some broken promises that aren't good for him politically.. Guantanamo being the biggest.. That sort of set the tone for this 'nothingness'.. Guantanamo, he was going to close that before 2010.. How's that going 4 years later? Same with immigration.. Now that he's delayed that until after the elections.. He's got the latino population ticked off at him, and lots of other people ticked because the reasoning is BS. Everyone knows he's doing it after the election to prevent it from hurting democrats.. Be honest about it.. That's why you're delaying it. People will respect honesty, even honesty they don't agree with more than pretty words.

History shall be the judge, though.. Hard to evaluate a moment when you're in the middle of it. After all, Truman was despised when he left office. So was Nixon.. Both of them are viewed as fairly successful presidencies overall now. Well, Nixon is still debateable.. In areas, it was VERY successful.. In areas it was VERY bad.. But, 100 and a 0 still averages out to a 50.
The OP said no big long answers....

Old 09-29-2015, 01:45 PM

659 posts, read 312,476 times
Well, well...

I was just asking what the point of repeating this factoid about June 2009 might be, after repeating the point so many times. You don't say...

End of recession by economic definition is one thing, as we can certainly agree.

What America and Obama were still dealing with as a country at that time is quite another.

I wish I had blinders to block out these facts like conservatives want to do for the sake of obvious political agenda, but the truth of these matters remains the truth regardless the agenda.

Reminds me a bit of when GW tried a similar tactic with the banner that read "Mission Accomplished" there behind him when he made that televised address to the country, about the end of operations in Iraq, remember that "end" as well?

Then there is that thing called reality that cannot be changed regardless what definitions you care to use...

Old 09-29-2015, 01:46 PM

"The OP said no big long answers...."

Yeah! And cool it with the big words too!

Old 09-29-2015, 01:49 PM

"but that does not change the fact that the recession ended WITHOUT any of the 'new' admins help"

Now there is a "fact" I would love to see proven as such!

Or perhaps we should feel free to lob whatever nonsense we wish, call it fact, and not expect insult?

To me that's a lot like cutting somebody off in traffic and not expecting to hear a horn!

Old 09-29-2015, 02:01 PM

The U.S. economy has made enormous progress since the dark days of early 2009. The global financial system was on the brink of collapse and the U.S. was suffering its worst economic downturn since the 1930s. Real GDP was falling at about a 6% annual rate, and monthly job losses averaged close to 750,000. The Great Recession gave way to recovery as quickly as it did largely because of the unprecedented responses by monetary and fiscal policymakers. A stunning range of initiatives was undertaken by the Federal Reserve, the Bush and Obama administrations, and Congress. While the effectiveness of any individual element certainly can be debated, there is little doubt that in total, the policy response was highly effective. If policymakers had not reacted as aggressively or as quickly as they did, the financial system might still be unsettled, the economy might still be shrinking, and the costs to U.S. taxpayers would have been vastly greater.

https://www.economy.com/mark-zandi/d...-Recession.pdf

As if the memories are not enough, there is so much easy reading about the realities of these times, hard to believe so many conservatives can still be so confused about what happened when.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:53 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Then it should be easy to cite support for your claim that the Obama Administration is anti-business.
Top 10 Obama anti-business, anti-job actions - Conservative News

Old 09-29-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
"but that does not change the fact that the recession ended WITHOUT any of the 'new' admins help"

Now there is a "fact" I would love to see proven as such!

Or perhaps we should feel free to lob whatever nonsense we wish, call it fact, and not expect insult?

To me that's a lot like cutting somebody off in traffic and not expecting to hear a horn!
First you admit the recession ended just 5 months after he took the oath of office, then you stand there denying that none of his policies were responsible.

ok, I'll bite.

What one of his policies were that effective to turn around the recession, but was such a dam failure that years later, we're still trying to recover?

Old 09-29-2015, 05:27 PM

Default Bite on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
First you admit the recession ended just 5 months after he took the oath of office, then you stand there denying that none of his policies were responsible.

ok, I'll bite.

What one of his policies were that effective to turn around the recession, but was such a dam failure that years later, we're still trying to recover?
Before biting, can you possibly explain what you wrote just beforehand?

Did I "admit" the recession ended June, 2009 as if somehow this was in question? I simply asked why this fact was being repeated.

Before "biting," why not read my comment #1040 to save everyone still more repetition.

Then you say I "stand there denying that none of his policies were responsible." Did a wheel come off the cart here?

Maybe "bite" on the information offered in comment #1046 as well.

There's plenty enough to chew on there, but careful not to choke on too much truth at once!

Old 09-29-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Before biting, can you possibly explain what you wrote just beforehand?

Did I "admit" the recession ended June, 2009 as if somehow this was in question? I simply asked why this fact was being repeated.

Before "biting," why not read my comment #1040 to save everyone still more repetition.

Then you say I "stand there denying that none of his policies were responsible." Did a wheel come off the cart here?

Maybe "bite" on the information offered in comment #1046 as well.

There's plenty enough to chew on there, but careful not to choke on too much truth at once!
Through all of this babble, you havent yet addressed what was said.

So the recession ended in June 2009, due to Obamas economic policies, but this jump start, is still not being felt YEARS later.. WHY NOT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies