Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 01:28 PM

659 posts, read 312,633 times

Advertisements

Take a breath pghquest!

I have only argued in favor of what Obama, Trump, Sanders, Buffett and all the others have advocated for some time now, to increase the net taxes on the most wealthy Americans, like the example made famous by Mitt Romney.

Is this what we are to assume I am right about? Need not assume, I am right about this!

Or are we to assume I am right about not being too hasty to pass rash judgement about the right or wrong of progressive taxes vs consumption taxes? No need to assume that either, because there again I think I am right to caution everyone, most certainly including you, to THINK before you keep spouting off.

Using labels like "kooks" is only serving to diminish your integrity further, so why not take it a little easier and try some critical thinking rather than spewing emotional garbage to make whatever point you are trying to make.

You ask, "If I give you money for things like welfare, and then you go and spend it on things like fuel, are you really paying it, or am I?"

I thought we were talking about all the Americans too poor to really afford to pay federal taxes. You seem to be assuming they are all on welfare and/or don't work. Not true!

Lots of assuming on your part, and of course we all know what happens when we assume..., right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 01:29 PM

"NO ONE pays income taxes on their purchases"

No kidding! We intent on just going from dumb to dumber here?

Old 09-04-2015, 01:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Most people have earned income. When they spend it, they are paying the taxes on fuel, excise, and sales.
Most taxes paid by these individuals go to the state, not the federal government.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
"NO ONE pays income taxes on their purchases"

No kidding! We intent on just going from dumb to dumber here?
oooh this should be good..

If i buy a $10 meal at a restaurant, whats the income tax paid to the federal government for this purchase..

Now think before you answer, dont want to look even dumber than you already do..

Old 09-04-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
Take a breath pghquest!

I have only argued in favor of what Obama, Trump, Sanders, Buffett and all the others have advocated for some time now, to increase the net taxes on the most wealthy Americans, like the example made famous by Mitt Romney.

Is this what we are to assume I am right about? Need not assume, I am right about this!

Or are we to assume I am right about not being too hasty to pass rash judgement about the right or wrong of progressive taxes vs consumption taxes? No need to assume that either, because there again I think I am right to caution everyone, most certainly including you, to THINK before you keep spouting off.

Using labels like "kooks" is only serving to diminish your integrity further, so why not take it a little easier and try some critical thinking rather than spewing emotional garbage to make whatever point you are trying to make.

You ask, "If I give you money for things like welfare, and then you go and spend it on things like fuel, are you really paying it, or am I?"

I thought we were talking about all the Americans too poor to really afford to pay federal taxes. You seem to be assuming they are all on welfare and/or don't work. Not true!

Lots of assuming on your part, and of course we all know what happens when we assume..., right?
Ahh right.. if we'd only just increase taxes on the most wealthy americans, everything will be fixed.

Oh wait.. we DONT TAX WEALTH...

Almost as dumb as your posting above..

Old 09-04-2015, 01:52 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
oooh this should be good..

If i buy a $10 meal at a restaurant, whats the income tax paid to the federal government for this purchase..

Now think before you answer, dont want to look even dumber than you already do..
Well, there is a corporate income and a capital gains tax on the proceeds of the sale, though indirect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ahh right.. if we'd only just increase taxes on the most wealthy americans, everything will be fixed.

Oh wait.. we DONT TAX WEALTH...

Almost as dumb as your posting above..
We could tax wealth, but it is not politically viable. A handful of countries currently tax wealth.

Of course, the poster you were responding to was not discussing a wealth tax, but rather higher taxes on the capital gains (or unusual financial income like carried interest) of wealthy Americans.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:01 PM

89,007 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
They do pay payroll taxes, which are federal taxes on income.
So does everyone else, with the higher income earners paying the most.

Quote:
Most people have earned income. When they spend it, they are paying the taxes on fuel, excise, and sales.
Those aren't the primary source of federal tax revenue in the U.S. Whereas in the social democracy countries with national healthcare and other social program goodies, regressive taxes such as those ARE the primary source of federal tax revenues.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:14 PM

Let's review.

But first, we must pause for yet another strawman coming through...

"Ahh right.. if we'd only just increase taxes on the most wealthy americans, everything will be fixed."

No one here made the above claim until just now. Check the record! Again, THINK before you spout!

"Oh wait.. we DONT TAX WEALTH..."

Very good! The argument all along has been about taxing the highest income earners, again like Romney was made an example, at a higher net federal tax rate. Sorry for any confusion by those who can't stay on track here, even as this is repeated over and over.

Now stay with me, because your last question is whether upon buying a meal for $10, what is the tax paid to the federal government for this purchase?

Well, none, directly. Is this a trick question?

If pointing out that the conservative claim that the poor don't pay "any taxes," brought this question on, well then yet again we are off the rails, because the fact, yet again, is that the poor pay taxes as well. Those taxes at a local level relieve some of the demand for taxes at a federal level, so there is that consideration as well.

Any more "great" questions like these I can help you with?

Or maybe we can get back to a more adult exchange about the main topics at hand? Possible?

Old 09-04-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Well, there is a corporate income and a capital gains tax on the proceeds of the sale, though indirect.
Both of those are a different transaction, and paid of profits, not on a sale.. Nice try but no cigar
Quote:
We could tax wealth, but it is not politically viable. A handful of countries currently tax wealth.
most people have no clue what their "wealth" is, since wealth is objective..
Quote:
Of course, the poster you were responding to was not discussing a wealth tax, but rather higher taxes on the capital gains (or unusual financial income like carried interest) of wealthy Americans.
Which doesnt increase revenues, despite what you'd think.. It encourages more hoarding of wealth, and not converting to income, and thus REDUCES revenues.. Since we once again, dont tax wealth.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
They do pay payroll taxes, which are federal taxes on income.

Payroll taxes is a tax used to fund social security, a welfare program by design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies