Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 12:42 PM

39,209 posts, read 27,582,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Hey!
Hey but U.S. Air Force is still THE BEST in the world!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 02:16 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
If you are an atheist the oath would mean nothing to you. So why does it have to be an issue?
The amazing thing to me in some of this conversation is the assumption that is you are an atheist that for some reason suddenly swearing a oath means nothing.

Does this mean the only reason some of the religious people keep their word, or their oaths is that they're afraid of what god might do? That the only reason they are good people is their fear of hell?

Most atheists I know value their oath very highly.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:32 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Hey but U.S. Air Force is still THE BEST in the world!

I dunno. My baby brother was in for 6 years. My stepson, too. They seem kinda desperate to me.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I dunno. My baby brother was in for 6 years. My stepson, too. They seem kinda desperate to me.
They? (Your brother and your stepson?)

Well, there are desperate (whatever that means)folks in every career field. Doesn't really prove anything.

The bottom line is that Air force has corrected the mistake. This is not a holy war.Regular folks gave up their constitutional right to join the armed forces to protect us. Pretty darn impressive to me.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:07 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,029 times
Quote:

The bottom line is that Air force has corrected the mistake.
Why do you keep spreading this falsehood?

Old 09-14-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
"And a Pentagon official said the issue is settled — and the Air Force is wrong.

"There is no legal requirement to say 'so help me God' in any federal oath or affirmation by a person taking the oath," said the official, who was not authorized to speak on the matter. "Saying 'so help me God' in any federal oath is optional at the discretion of the person taking the oath, not the person administering the oath."

""We're certainly more than willing to work with this airman," Cody said. "We are certainly more than willing to have him re-enlist. We don't hold any religious beliefs or nonbeliefs in any way, shape or form in context of that decision. We're not trying to not support this airman. We just have to make sure we're in compliance with the law."

Air Force alone in 'so help me God' requirement

Not good enough for you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Why do you keep spreading this falsehood?
Obviously for some of you who got offended easy, it is still not good enough for you. But guess what? World does not revolved around YOU or ME. Get over it.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Obviously for some of you who got offended easy, it is still not good enough for you. But guess what? World does not revolved around YOU or ME. Get over it.
An anonymous source at the Pentagon stating he believes the Air Force's legal interpretation is wrong doesn't mean the Air Force has changed its policy. The Air Force has not changed its policy. The Air Force had not corrected its mistake, and your quotes from Mr. Cody say just that.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
An anonymous source at the Pentagon stating he believes the Air Force's legal interpretation is wrong doesn't mean the Air Force has changed its policy. The Air Force has not changed its policy. The Air Force had not corrected its mistake, and your quotes from Mr. Cody say just that.
I won't lose my sleep over this. I trust Pentagon to make the right decision. If you want to worry about it, go ahead or stay tuned for the rest or the update of this "story."

Bottom line, Pentagon stated Air Force was wrong. If this is not good enough for you, oh well.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I won't lose my sleep over this. I trust Pentagon to make the right decision. If you want to worry about it, go ahead or stay tuned for the rest or the update of this "story."

Bottom line, Pentagon stated Air Force was wrong. If this is not good enough for you, oh well.
Damn straight it's not good enough. It will only be good enough when the Air Force no longer imposes an unconstitutional religious test in order to enlist.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:58 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It's only the Air Force. It appears it has been allowed to slip under the influence of a group of high-placed Evangelicals, who - as could be expected - just love to be able to proselytize to a captive audience.

Like preaching Atheism and homosexual propaganda to kids in the public schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies