Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 07:24 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I would wonder why he would care. Frankly it has never made sense to my why an atheist has any reservations about swearing to God or objecting to religious depictions such as nativity scenes since they think it is all fantasy.

So if I were an atheist and needed to swear allegiance to what I would consider as real as Mickey Mouse, how does that harm me?
Evidently you think that not believing in God means you have no integrity? That an atheist's oaths and promises don't matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 07:32 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I would wonder why he would care. Frankly it has never made sense to my why an atheist has any reservations about swearing to God or objecting to religious depictions such as nativity scenes since they think it is all fantasy.

So if I were an atheist and needed to swear allegiance to what I would consider as real as Mickey Mouse, how does that harm me?
I can understand it.

Think of it this way, I won't say "So help me Allah." Muslim perhaps will never say "So help me Jesus Christ". I would be more than happy to say "So help me God" or nothing at all.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I can understand it.

Think of it this way, I won't say "So help me Allah." Muslim perhaps will never say "So help me Jesus Christ". I would be more than happy to say "So help me God" or nothing at all.
Allah is God.

Le crayon is pencil.

Senor is mister.

You wouldn't say "So help me God" in French. "Aidez le moi, mon Dieu". Dieu is God. Allah is God. Just foreign language words for God.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:40 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Allah is God.

Le crayon is pencil.

Senor is mister.

You wouldn't say "So help me God" in French. "Aidez le moi, mon Dieu". Dieu is God. Allah is God. Just foreign language words for God.
I know that. (the bolded)

But I still won't say it. Is it okay with you?

Old 09-11-2014, 09:30 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
Everyone/Every nation live by certain rules of a country, good or bad. US airforce did not ask him to join. If someone has joined, then that person has joined knowing the rules in the beginning.

Atheist must swear to God -- or leave US Air Force
the Air Force is in the wrong here. 1st Amendment violation.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-11-2014 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 09-11-2014, 10:03 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Evidently you think that not believing in God means you have no integrity? That an atheist's oaths and promises don't matter?
Let's look at one sentence from the oath:
"...the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the
Uniform Code of Military Justice."

hmmm... He is taking an oath to obey regulations. Isn't he disobeying a regulation by refusing to say the oath as spelled out in the regulation?
I still don't see the issue. he does NOT believe that God is real, any more than he believes John Carter Of Mars is real, or Tarzan, or Hari Seldon, or Captain Nemo, or...
Saying a completely meaningless (to him) phrase has no bearing on whether or not he plans to abide by the rest of the oath.
It is worthy of note that the oath does NOT require anybody to "swear" the oath. Those who do not "swear" can merely "affirm".

Old 09-11-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Let's look at one sentence from the oath:
"...the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the
Uniform Code of Military Justice."

hmmm... He is taking an oath to obey regulations. Isn't he disobeying a regulation by refusing to say the oath as spelled out in the regulation?
I still don't see the issue. he does NOT believe that God is real, any more than he believes John Carter Of Mars is real, or Tarzan, or Hari Seldon, or Captain Nemo, or...
Saying a completely meaningless (to him) phrase has no bearing on whether or not he plans to abide by the rest of the oath.
It is worthy of note that the oath does NOT require anybody to "swear" the oath. Those who do not "swear" can merely "affirm".
Maybe your integrity is so lacking that you are fine taking solemn oaths that affirm your values and beliefs, and invoking in those oaths values and beliefs that you don't share. Integrity is about being whole, intact. Asking someone to invoke a belief system when they don't believe is saying that their beliefs are lesser and not worth keeping intact. It's an insult and an assault on a person's integrity. Going along with that, rather than refusing, is to diminish one's self, and one's belief system. You're advocating hypocrisy because you believe it's no big deal for atheists. When in fact, atheists have often given a great deal of thought to what they believe and don't believe, have invested much introspection, and have suffered consequences because of what they believe. It's a big deal for most atheists.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:29 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2PPenn View Post
Cry baby who cares... If he does not believe in God the words are worthless anyway. I hate when one person is destroying for everybody else
So - what is being destroyed?

The Air Force's ancient tradition reaching all the way back to the fall of 2013? Or the Air Force brass' chance to to turn a branch of the US military into their little evangelical fiefdom on your dome and mine?

Old 09-11-2014, 11:55 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Maybe your integrity is so lacking that you are fine taking solemn oaths that affirm your values and beliefs, and invoking in those oaths values and beliefs that you don't share. Integrity is about being whole, intact. Asking someone to invoke a belief system when they don't believe is saying that their beliefs are lesser and not worth keeping intact. It's an insult and an assault on a person's integrity. Going along with that, rather than refusing, is to diminish one's self, and one's belief system. You're advocating hypocrisy because you believe it's no big deal for atheists. When in fact, atheists have often given a great deal of thought to what they believe and don't believe, have invested much introspection, and have suffered consequences because of what they believe. It's a big deal for most atheists.
So, when an atheist appears in court, and is asked to place his hand on the Bible to "swear to tell the truth...etc.", does he sort of go with the flow and perform a meaningless ritual, or does he make an issue of it and demand the judge release him from that ritual, or does he perform a pagan oath by grabbing his crotch and raising his right hand? (that IS where the word "TESTIFY" comes from, y'know)
I took that oath enough times to rack up a total of 34 years of military service. NOT ONCE did I ever encounter anybody who had a problem with that phrase.
I guess this atheist is somehow SPECIAL!

Old 09-11-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
So, when an atheist appears in court, and is asked to place his hand on the Bible to "swear to tell the truth...etc.", does he sort of go with the flow and perform a meaningless ritual, or does he make an issue of it and demand the judge release him from that ritual, or does he perform a pagan oath by grabbing his crotch and raising his right hand? (that IS where the word "TESTIFY" comes from, y'know)
I took that oath enough times to rack up a total of 34 years of military service. NOT ONCE did I ever encounter anybody who had a problem with that phrase.
I guess this atheist is somehow SPECIAL!
Grabbing his crotch????

I was on jury duty last year, and nary a Bible was proffered for someone to place their hands on. People are simply asked to raise their hand and swear to tell the truth.

And the ritual isn't meaningless. It shouldn't be meaningless to you, and when I take an oath it means a great deal to me.

You clearly don't think atheists have integrity. I'm telling you they do. This airman is telling you they do. And it shouldn't bother you that people possess integrity. I don't know why you are being so insulting of people who are simply trying to maintain their integrity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies