Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 07:56 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Defense is over half of the discretionary spending budget. Defense 640 billion. Education 72 billion. Transportation 26 billion. It looks like an issue to me. Our priorities are out of whack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
I'm sorry, it's totally disingenuous to distinguish between "discretionary" and non-discretionary.
Lets add in another 180 billion of VA spending and military sales to foreign countries. That brings Defense up to $820 billion. Throw in the recent VA supplemental bill and you can raise it to $836 billion. Which one is discretionary and which one is an entitlement, Education, VA, Defenese, Transportations, etc? This is an easy question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 07:58 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's the magnitude of which "workin_hard" believes in one side that's so scary.
I've never said people, any people, should not have access to the best healthcare. I'm just not willing to be part of paying for it for anyone other than my own family. Everyone should have it to the extent to which they can afford it. It's not a societal obligation and certainly not a "right". I expect no more of others than I expect of myself.

Personal responsibility. You should try it sometime.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:03 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I've never said people, any people, should not have access to the best healthcare. I'm just not willing to be part of paying for it for anyone other than my own family. Everyone should have it to the extent to which they can afford it. It's not a societal obligation and certainly not a "right". I expect no more of others than I expect of myself.

I am personally responsible. You're not.

Let me ask you this: do you think a doctor should be required to be licensed?

Old 09-10-2014, 08:04 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,136,004 times
Quote:

“The True Measure of Any Society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members†– Ghandi

Old 09-10-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I am personally responsible. You're not.

Let me ask you this: do you think a doctor should be required to be licensed?
If you advocate a lack of personal responsibility for others, then you do not value it in yourself.

On your question: Yes, if done to establish professional accountability and his continued competency at his craft and nothing more. If licensed in regard to his providing service at the discretion of the politicos, then no.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
“The True Measure of Any Society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members†– Ghandi
Nice. Was that in a fortune cookie? As a member of our "great society", what have you personally done directly for one or more of the vulnerable members? Without being at the extreme, I do tend to lean more toward the principal of social Darwinism. But that doesn't surprise you, does it?

Old 09-10-2014, 08:15 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,048,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Canada has a Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) that is a combination of federal and provincial sales taxes. In Ontario this is 13% (8 provincial + 5% federal). This is a general revenue sales tax not targeted for healthcare. In Ontario healthcare is paid for from general tax revenues and from a payroll tax on individuals and businesses. Employers pay 1 to 2% of payroll. Employees pay a health tax on a sliding scale from $0 on $20,000 income to $900/year on $200,000 income. Everyone in the province has healthcare coverage, with no deductibles or co-pays, whether or not they they work.
Thank you,it's been a couple of years since I was in Canada and I had had a conversation with some locals about the tax rate and I couldn't remember exactly how it was done. I thought that the sales taxes were high but I wasn't sure what they went for. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:15 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
Our income tax is larger than Canada's and about the same as the UK if you live in New York City; Why do I have to pay for health insurance when it should be 95-100% subsidized by the federal government with the amount of tax I, and pretty much everyone else pays?
Does anyone have any sympothy for the OP? Lets say the OP is a typical American and he pays $8,000 in income taxes, another $7,000 in SS and Medicare, and $4,000 towards his family medical. Thats $19,000 then he sees a whole lot of people filing for SS, Medicare, VA and Medicaid disabilities. The average $$$
$artier is on one of these programs and opposes any handout for the OP. The Tea Party has a message for the OP "#### you and the horse you rode in on...pay your taxes."

Old 09-10-2014, 08:16 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
If you advocate a lack of personal responsibility for others, then you do not value it in yourself.

On your question: Yes, if done to establish professional accountability and his continued competency at his craft and nothing more. If licensed in regard to his providing service at the discretion of the politicos, then no.
I don't advocate for anything. Unlike you, I'm not a statist.

Why can't people decide which doctor they want to go to? Why does he/she have to be licensed?

Old 09-10-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Why can't people decide which doctor they want to go to? Why does he/she have to be licensed?
1) If they're paying in whole for the service they can seek treatment from whomever they please. The unlicensed may be operating under the radar and are unlikely to be eligible for participation in any external funding.

Remember seeing stories like this? Death After Butt-Injection Prompts Warnings From Plastic Surgeons - ABC News

2) I've already answered that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies