Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 06:48 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
Which countries allow the sale of contraceptives over-the-counter?
The vast majority of them.

http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/20...r-the-counter/
Unlike The U.S., Most Countries Offer Birth Control Pills Over The Counter | ThinkProgress
Over-the-Counter Birth Control Pills? Not In America. - Reason.com
Over-the-Counter Access to Oral Contraceptives - ACOG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 07:01 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i am against the war on women. i also equally against the war on babies. i saw my twin nephews at 7 months premature. those were kids not fetuses. squishing their heads and tossing them in a glad bag does not set well with me, even if done in the name of women's rights.
Seven months premature? Really? That would put them at ten weeks post-conception. Methinks you might be exaggerating a teensy bit. Did you perhaps mean that they were born at seven months of gestation, two or so months premature?

Last edited by randomparent; 09-10-2014 at 07:11 PM..

Old 09-10-2014, 07:11 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,069 times
I dont have any problem with birth control going OTC but the four Republicans running for congress are offering this as a "peace offering" of sort when they get rid of the ACA. There is also no guarantee that birth control pills will go over the counter. The FDA usually makes those decisions. Typically when drugs go OTC they become much cheaper. Go over the border sometime to Mexico and check out the prices of prescription drugs that are OTC here in the US. I doubt if anytime soon any elected official especially Republicans are interested in lowering the cost of drugs. The Republican position is this...you lose your $1200 annual ACA subsidy but in return we will save you $100 or less in birth control prescriptions. You wont have health care but you will have cheaper birth control...is that a deal or what?

Old 09-10-2014, 07:16 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Where's the outrage from all those anti Hobby Lobby feminists?

Planned Parenthood Wants to Limit Women's Access to Birth Control to Save Obamacare
Colorado Republican Congressman and U.S. Senate Candidate Cory Gardner has suggested birth control pills should be over-the-counter as part of his campaign platform and stance on women's health. Instead of applauding Gardner's approach, which would greatly expand women's access to birth control, Planned Parenthood has come out against him. The justification? Obamacare and government dependence for women is better.
Related-
HHS Hands Out $500K To Planned Parenthood To Boost ObamaCare Enrollment

Proof that Planned Parenthood is a paid mouthpiece for ObamaCare propaganda
[love the 1950s fear mongering ]-

Don't fall for birth control plan that would push women back to 1950s
Cecile Richards is president of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund.
War on the women who are waging war on the unborn women? This should be good.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:19 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
this proves that men know NOTHING about women's health.

the pill is not aspirin. it's a tremendous dose of hormones which is unsafe for some women to take. no woman should EVER take the pill without being under the care of a Gynecologist.

Men, please stick to beer and football.
That's basically the equivalent of saying "women, please stick to being housewives and watching the lifetime network". Generalize much?

Old 09-10-2014, 08:17 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
If a woman has any history of menstruation problems, her doctor needs to know this. I had very heavy prolonged periods at 12 years old (1960) and they put me on "hormones" to correct it. It got better as I got older and I stopped taking them.

When I was in my 20's and needed BC, I did not tell my doctor about this. How would I even know what I took as a pre-teen? I had MAJOR problems taking the Combination Pill; breakthrough bleeding, and again, very heavy periods. My doctor put me on the Mini Pill (Progesterone only) and things were fine after that.

I know that many people think it should and can be sold over the counter, BUT an individual woman's medical history MUST be taken into consideration. It can have severe consequences for some women.

No, it isn't candy, and it not like a condom which very rarely will have any adverse reactions for a male.
I do not know enough medically to have a position here right now but I do know that birth control pills have improved and became far safer than they were in the 70's.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:21 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,456,262 times
I had a wonderful friend back when I lived in Los Angeles. She was bright, bubbly, funny, and dreamed of breaking into show business--she was working as a gofer at some little tv station and knew she's soon be a famous producer.

She was advised not to use birth control pills because of elevated blood pressure, but really--"everybody" used them, they were safe, right? So she shopped doctors and finally got some from Planned Parenthood.

She was 26 when she was shipped home to Michigan on a medical flight after having a near-deadly massive stroke. The last time I spoke to her she was "making progress" and hoping to be able to walk again. Her dreams of the big time in Los Angeles were over.

Anyone who thinks of OTC birth control pills as a woman's "right" probably also thinks that a woman should have a "right" to have an abortion in an unlicensed, uninspected, unsanitary clinic. Because yes, women can and do die from both.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:32 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I like the idea of OTC BC and have posted about it several times over the years. I've also heard all the health concerns from the opponents. I'm torn on the issue. there are currently other OTC drugs that can cause problems for people too so I'm not convinced we should single out BC "for the safety of the woman" or let the woman weigh the risks and make her own choice. It's not like the info isn't out there about possible side effects, it's on EVERYTHING.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:33 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I had a wonderful friend back when I lived in Los Angeles. She was bright, bubbly, funny, and dreamed of breaking into show business--she was working as a gofer at some little tv station and knew she's soon be a famous producer.

She was advised not to use birth control pills because of elevated blood pressure, but really--"everybody" used them, they were safe, right? So she shopped doctors and finally got some from Planned Parenthood.

She was 26 when she was shipped home to Michigan on a medical flight after having a near-deadly massive stroke. The last time I spoke to her she was "making progress" and hoping to be able to walk again. Her dreams of the big time in Los Angeles were over.

Anyone who thinks of OTC birth control pills as a woman's "right" probably also thinks that a woman should have a "right" to have an abortion in an unlicensed, uninspected, unsanitary clinic. Because yes, women can and do die from both.
Just a year ago liberals were pushing for OTC BC.

Time to Demand All Birth Control Pills Be Sold Over-the-Counter

Quote:
So why can’t we have this, when the public and the medical establishment both think it’s a great idea? Part of it is no doubt the politics of it. As the furor over emergency contraception—which you only take in emergencies (and don’t need if you’re consistent with your birth control pills)—demonstrates, the idea of women being able to prevent pregnancy easily sets off all sorts of irrational reactions in this country. You should have to struggle for it to prove you deserve to be not-pregnant, because … mmmph that’s why. The religious right already believes that contraception is too easy to get, which is why they’ve been attacking it with so much vigor lately. Trying to make birth control pills available OTC would set off a political firestorm that would make the emergency contraception wars look like mere skirmishes.

Still, for women’s health, I believe that’s a fight that pro-choicers would be happy to have (though maybe not the folks in the Obama administration trying to maintain the ruse that they better understand medical risk than researchers and doctors). The problem here, however, is that there’s still a widespread belief that birth control pills need to be prescription-only in order to make sure women go to their doctors. Unlike many of the other countries that have the pill available OTC, the United States doesn’t have universal health care (yet, though in 2014, we may see this shift dramatically due to Obamacare), which means that doctors have a uniquely difficult time in this country encouraging women to go to the doctor regularly. The argument is that we need to use the pill as bait to make sure women are going to their doctor—or to a local Planned Parenthood—to get their check-ups.

It’s a tempting argument, but something that needs to be tossed out for a number of reasons. First and foremost, as pro-choicers we need to adhere closely to the principle of supporting a woman’s right to the ultimate authority over her own health care. If birth control pills are safe enough to be sold OTC, then it’s up to a woman to decide if she wants a doctor’s supervision to take them, just as we allow individuals to make that determination with other drugs, like allergy medications or pain killers.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:19 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,746 times
Can you name some for me? Because I am positive that in all of the civilized world you need a prescription for birth control pills. Please don't say it's countries like Somalia or morocco. Lol

This is so funny, "educated ignorance"

"A study published in the journal Contraception recently looked at birth control access in 147 countries. It found oral contraceptives were informally available or legally available without a prescription or screening in 62 percent, while legally available without a prescription but with a screening in 8 percent. They required a prescription in only about one-third of the countries, including Canada and the United States."

Who cares about 147 countries? Should the fact that contraceptives in Somalia or Afghanistan are sold over the counter have any bearing on our health policies? Shouldnt we just focus on other developed nations?

I can do this, too:
... the study also found that out of 147 countries, only a in third of them, women see gynecologist between pregnancies and only in a quarter of them people wash hands before meals.

Statistics is a game we can all play.

Last edited by random_thoughts; 09-10-2014 at 09:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies