Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:01 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The GAO said Obama broke the law when he traded the Gitmo prisoners. The House has not yet begun impeachment proceedings. The argument put forth (on here) is that the DOJ will refuse to prosecute so there is no reason to go forward with impeachment.

GAO: Taliban prisoner swap violated law - Jeremy Herb - POLITICO.com
There are two ways to resolve the issue. Win in court, if you can establish standing, or impeach the President.

Otherwise you are peeing into the wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 10:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The GAO said Obama broke the law when he traded the Gitmo prisoners. The House has not yet begun impeachment proceedings. The argument put forth (on here) is that the DOJ will refuse to prosecute so there is no reason to go forward with impeachment.

GAO: Taliban prisoner swap violated law - Jeremy Herb - POLITICO.com
Impeachment is a separate process from a court trial resulting in legal penalties.

If the basic reason why Congressional Rs have not initiated impeachment is because the DOJ will not press criminal charges - well, that sounds like a (rather lame) excuse to me, frankly.

After all, the GAO has just opined that Obama broke the law. Isn't this the smoking gun that Rs have been waiting for? Shouldn't the Rs go for it, regardless of the DOJ?

Old 09-10-2014, 10:38 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,430,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Well, he *did* admit breaking the law.

What do you think should happen to him? Should "famous" lawbreakers get break that less-famous lawbreakers don't?
It's not that he's famous, it's that he's a conservative. Cons think they're above the law and shouldn't be held to it

Old 09-10-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
So the people defending this bullying corrupt administration, you honestly don't think they targeted D'Souza based on his political views and criticism of this president?

(Esp after what we have learned regarding the targeting of conservatives through the IRS)
No I do not and you just proved what I said earlier about cons thinking they're above the law. You think that just because he's a conservative then holding him accountable for breaking the law is automatically a targeting of his political views and criticism of the President.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:44 PM

If a Republican wins in 2016 will us liberals be able to attack the President and then break the law and when the DOJ comes after us claim that they're targeting us for our political views?

Old 09-10-2014, 10:54 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Impeachment is a separate process from a court trial resulting in legal penalties.
Yes, but I don't know if the broken law has criminal penalties attached. Impeachment has a rather vague threshold of "high crimes and misdemeanors" and I don't think a sitting POTUS can be tried before he is impeached.

Quote:
If the basic reason why Congressional Rs have not initiated impeachment is because the DOJ will not press criminal charges -
I think it's just a cop out, but conservatives (on here) have said the DOJ won't prosecute. I'm not too familiar with impeachment, but they said the DOJ needs to appoint the special prosecutor and that Eric Holder won't appoint because he is protecting Obama.

Quote:
well, that sounds like a (rather lame) excuse to me, frankly.
I agree.

Quote:
After all, the GAO has just opined that Obama broke the law. Isn't this the smoking gun that Rs have been waiting for? Shouldn't the Rs go for it, regardless of the DOJ?
Yes, unless the Congressional R's don't really believe he committed any crimes, in which case conservatives need to stop complaining.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:34 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
No, he plead guilty as he didn't wish to be b ankrupted by having the entire might of the US government taking vengeance on him for opposing Obama.
Seeing as he has at no point denied breaking the law - willingly - it appears you may have to consider the possibility that he plead guilty because he was, y'know, guilty.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:00 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Prison would do him some good anyway. He's arrogant...He'll learn to be more meek and empathetic in the can.

Or else...

Old 09-11-2014, 02:14 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Is D'Souza's sentence outside the norm for the crime he committed? If not, I'm not sure what the fuss is about.

Repukes always love to say "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time" until it happens to one of them.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:31 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,472 times
Quote:
Is D'Souza's sentence outside the norm for the crime he committed? If not, I'm not sure what the fuss is about.
Fair question... and I would be lying if I told you I knew the answer.
I would be interested to know what the average sentence is for a similar infraction. I would THINK a fine.

Lets put it in perspective with a quick comparison...
D'Souza compensated two persons to give checks (of 4,999 ea or maybe 9,999, $1 under the max so a 10-20K infraction) to his friend from college running for office. 16 months (1.33 yrs)

Jesse Jackson Jr "misused" (ie. stole) 750K in campaign contributions for personal use (vacations, etc). 2.5 yrs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies