Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:27 AM

921 posts, read 1,132,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You don't see anything wrong with it?

Ok.

I have an assignment for the readers. I want you to compare imalert to the stupidest person you've ever met. Note their similarities and then report your findings here.

Now I'm not saying that you're stupid, imalert, but certainly you've done some stupid things in your life, so because this assignment is based on facts and figures, I don't see anything wrong with it.
Where, might I ask, have you gotten proof of such actions by me?

Old 09-11-2014, 11:31 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If it's simply an exercise in analytical thinking, why did she choose a PAST president? Wouldn't using the CURRENT president make more sense? And if you're going to use a past president, why would you choose that one? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to compare Hitler to FDR, since they were both in power at the same time?

If you honestly believe that the teacher wasn't demonstrating bias by picking the president she did, then you're not as smart as I thought you were, Casper.
Why does it matter which President they used? I would have picked Ronald Ragan, now that would have been more interesting.
Me thinks some are waaaay too sensitive.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:34 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Rather a stupid assignment for 6th grade students no matter what.No wander DC schools are rated so bad as their teachers are.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:37 AM

847 posts, read 766,922 times
in our culture people really have to refrain making Hitler analogies.

an American President could be compared to Hitler only if he chose to Attack, China, Russia and perhaps Brazil all at once.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:16 PM

921 posts, read 1,132,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Rather a stupid assignment for 6th grade students no matter what.No wander DC schools are rated so bad as their teachers are.
This level of judgment has been present in DC Public Schools for years. Now that DC has been gentrified, we'll see more & more parents stepping forward with complaints about certain curriculums & judgments of DC teachers.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:15 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
You are making a false assumption that the motive it to show similarities vs a contrast. Without knowing the teachers position there is no reason to assume the worst. If it had been Hitler and Clinton would you not assume a contrast? perhaps you are saying they are too similar and there is no contrast?

I have no problems with kids being challenged to think, they do too little of it.
They aren't being challenged to think. They are being told that Bush was like Hitler.

Get your head out of the sand.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:15 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
No public school teacher will EVER have kids do an assignment to compare Obama to Hitler anyone honest would admit that. This is just another blatant example of bias and pushing a specific political agenda by a public school teacher.
No American president should be compared to Hitler, zero, zip, zilch. I was not a fan Dubya, a lot of people weren't, but that doesn't mean we should compare him to Hitler. Its a useless assignment that my children would of never completed. Just like what was written above, it was a political agenda.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:12 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Good to know someone here actually got the point, it is exactly what I was thinking. Me thinks had the teacher said to do it with Hitler and Obama some here would see no issue with it, nor would there have been an article devoted to it. Talk about missing the entire point of the exercise, looks like some here could use a refresher course in Analytical Thinking themselves.
Me thinks that if a teacher said to do it with Obama and Hitler, the full force of the NEA and AFT would have come crushing down on said teach, and she would have been put on paid administrative leave and sent to re-education camp until she saw the error of her ways. She would have been called a racist and hounded without end. But this is all moot, because no teacher would have done this comparison. The comparison between Bush and Hitler is possible, but the comparison between Obama and Hitler is impossible under the current political climate in public ed.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:08 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Why does it matter which President they used? I would have picked Ronald Ragan, now that would have been more interesting.
Me thinks some are waaaay too sensitive.
Come on now, you aren't fooling anybody....if it had been Obama and Hitler you'd be complaining.

Sincerely,
A real non-partisan.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:03 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
No public school teacher will EVER have kids do an assignment to compare Obama to Hitler anyone honest would admit that. This is just another blatant example of bias and pushing a specific political agenda by a public school teacher.
You seem to be quite the prognosticator. Can you tell me who will win the World Series? I'd like to get some bets down in Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies