Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 09:14 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,609,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
And yet, I have no doubt that Cruz is more than satisfied with the outcome. Here we are, talking about him. Had he stuck to the script, no one would be today. He accomplished what he set out to do. He could not possibly care less about the Christians in the Middle East except as a means to his end.

Cruz thinks first, last, and everything in between about Cruz. Period.
I agree completely.

These weasels always seem to manufacture situations in which they can later make themselves out to be the victims and their supporters eat it up.
Absolutely shameful.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:54 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,862,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
In Israel's defense, they have to be very careful about military operations beyond their claimed borders. They cannot afford to be the spark that sets off a conflagration.
True to a degree, but does that excuse them for ignore about every request the US ever asks of them? But you would think 3 BILLION DOLLARS PLUS A YEAR would buy some compliance with our wishes at least every once in a while to keep the rich Uncle Sam happy, eh.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:09 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,745,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
True to a degree, but does that excuse them for ignore about every request the US ever asks of them? But you would think 3 BILLION DOLLARS PLUS A YEAR would buy some compliance with our wishes at least every once in a while to keep the rich Uncle Sam happy, eh.
The world is not black and white.

I support Israel and their right to exist. I support religious freedom. I support the Christians who struggle as a minority in the Middle East. I don't think that any of this support means that I've forfeited the right to criticize when people act in the name of these things in ways I disagree with. Israel uses it's resources sometimes to do things which I think are provocative in that environment. On the other hand, Israel's mere existence is provocative to some Islamists. And I think the US is not buying obedience with the billions of dollars we've poured into Israel, and into the surrounding areas. Overall, I think we're trying to buy stability, and a working diplomatic base. It's an investment in an area where our cultural sensibilities, our principles, our values, receive short shrift. So we have to frame that investment in such a way that it seems that it's serving our principles. But the fact is, the money we give Israel, or Egypt, or Afghanistan, or Kuwait, is not going to these places to serve our ideals, the money is going for pragmatic purposes, mainly economic, to foster at least some stability in the region.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:21 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,174,179 times
Quote:

I support Israel and their right to exist. I support religious freedom. I support the Christians who struggle as a minority in the Middle East. I don't think that any of this support means that I've forfeited the right to criticize when people act in the name of these things in ways I disagree with. Israel uses it's resources sometimes to do things which I think are provocative in that environment. On the other hand, Israel's mere existence is provocative to some Islamists. And I think the US is not buying obedience with the billions of dollars we've poured into Israel, and into the surrounding areas. Overall, I think we're trying to buy stability, and a working diplomatic base. It's an investment in an area where our cultural sensibilities, our principles, our values, receive short shrift. So we have to frame that investment in such a way that it seems that it's serving our principles. But the fact is, the money we give Israel, or Egypt, or Afghanistan, or Kuwait, is not going to these places to serve our ideals, the money is going for pragmatic purposes, mainly economic, to foster at least some stability in the region.
Please expand on that. Why shouldn't we get some QUID PRO QUO for our 3 billion?

Old 09-12-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Please expand on that. Why shouldn't we get some QUID PRO QUO for our 3 billion?
We do. The American public is not privy to quid pro quo negotiations. And Israel, nor any of the other countries in the Middle East, is not our puppet because we give moral, diplomatic, and financial support. These are sovereign nations, and they have to pursue their own interests. But instead of pursuing their own interests without regard for ours, our support buys us some consideration of our interests. It doesn't buy obedience.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:45 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,604,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I stand with Ted Cruz on this. Hatred of Israel and of Jews should not be tolerated by Christians, and it is not Christ like. Christians, after all, are "Jews by adoption," according to scripture. Anyone who claims to be Christian, and would not stand with Israel and the Jews, shows their faith is not genuine. They are frauds.

Good for Ted Cruz for his comment, and he did the right thing to politely excuse himself.
Oh please. First of all, hatred shouldn't be tolerated period. Secondly, you could stand with Jews but not stand by many of Israel's actions (you do recall Israel has spied on America and taken in a few Jewish Americans wanted for crimes in the US? I doubt you stand by that). Finally, explain why Christians must stand with Israel?

Old 09-12-2014, 11:52 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,862,202 times
Quote:

I have a better idea, cut them all off the money cow we have become, we cannot afford to be and it gains us nothing.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:55 AM

11,999 posts, read 12,861,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Agreed.

It was grand-standing of the highest order. He was completely off-topic and deserved to be treated as he was.

I think that this sums it up the best:

""I support Israel, but what Senator Cruz did was outrageous and incendiary," Dent said. "He showed a true lack of sensitivity for the people he was speaking to, especially the religious leaders who were there. It was a political speech, inappropriate and, overall, an uncomfortable moment.""

GOP congressman calls Cruz remarks to Christian group

Agreed-Christians in the Middle East perhaps have their existence threatened moreso than anyone else (and that's no easy feat there)-but Israel has done nothing for them so it is so odd to bring that country into the conversation.

Obviously it was for political points and attention-whoring but it proves that he does not understand the plight of the people he was speaking to-and doesn't want to.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:00 PM

15,579 posts, read 10,296,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Interesting the Christians who live the closet to Israel don't like them, and some American Christians feel like Heaven depends on Israel's survival......interesting indeed!
Anti-Semitism isn't a new or rare bigotry, 3, thus the need for the nation of Israel.

What is surprising is Arab Christians side with their persecutors and murders against Israel, the only place in the ME that is safe for Christians to practice their religion.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I have a better idea, cut them all off the money cow we have become, we cannot afford to be and it gains us nothing.
When you take away something that someone has become dependent upon, it's a form of aggression. We have to consider what we lose by following your suggested course of action. But I definitely think it should be on the table, and that our partners in that part of the world should understand that it's on the table. We call Putin a bully, but we've forgotten that bullies have a diplomatic role in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies