Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 01:57 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Depends what happened after someone started saying a child molester lived there etc.

During the Trayvon Martin trial Spike Lee tweeted Zimmermans address and some comments about taking care of business. Turns out it was an old couple with the same name. Now what happens if some crackpot had driven over there and set the house on fire killing them?
Now you are into the realm of someone committing murder which really has nothing to do with any of this. We don't arrest people over what might happen.

The guy speeding along doing 110 might hit someone and kill them but if stopped they are only charged with what they actually did. Speeding. We don't charge them with attempted murder.

Quote:
That's pretty much the core argument to the whole thread.

You can tweet, talk, post messages, send letters, go on the radio and say "I wish someone would shoot George Zimmerman".....but if you say we should shoot GZ living at 123 elm street because he's the molester responsible for missing girls in town and somebody goes over there and does it? That's what we are talking about.
There is no proof anyone did anything based upon this guys posts. When a crime against someone takes place, it becomes something different, but that did not happen here.

Manson would not have been arrested if he would have said "hey, lets go up into the hills and kill a few people" if no one had actually done it.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:58 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattoedDad View Post
More so than Canada...sure I can find some European country worth living in.
That's right, you can say anything you want in Russia -- as long as it agrees with Putin and his ruling party.

Otherwise, not so much.

Russia Cracks Down on Internet Free Speech, Except When It’s ISIS · Global Voices

Reports: Russia clamping down on free speech - CNN.com

Russia's free speech crackdown aims to stifle bloggers, censor Putin's political rivals | ZDNet

Russian Internet Censorship, Social Media Crackdown Make It Easy For Putin To Stay Popular

Russia Moves Toward China-Style Internet Censorship - Businessweek

Reminds me of an old Soviet joke: An American went to the Soviet Union and started talking to a Russian about freedom of speech. He told the Russian, "In my country, we can say whatever we want about the government. I can stand in Times Square and shout 'Down with Reagan!' and no one will arrest me."

The Russian replied, "We have freedom of speech too! I can stand in Red Square and shout 'Down with Reagan!' and no one will arrest me either!"

Old 09-11-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
"More so than Canada" and this bullcrap after I've posted a couple of examples of the U.S prosecuting similar or even less obvious and egregious examples.

The U.S. has examples of similar prosecutions dating back decades (1941) and as recent as last year in Texas. What say you about that?
If you would have read the entire story of the cross burning's you would have got to the part where they explain that the Supreme Court threw out the charges.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:03 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If you would have read the entire story of the cross burning's you would have got to the part where they explain that the Supreme Court threw out the charges.
Oh I did; BUT was it not still prosecuted? Now about those other cases.....?

and while we're at it what about this little tid bit:

Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue | The Smoking Gun

Not even a prosecutable offense in Gulag Canada.

Morons!

Old 09-11-2014, 02:03 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
He was on probation and broke the terms of his probation. Terms which had agreed to in writing in order to get probation. No matter where one stands on the Canadian Human Rights Act it should have been obvious to him that he needed to follow the court's directives until he was off probation.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:04 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Now you are into the realm of someone committing murder which really has nothing to do with any of this. We don't arrest people over what might happen..
Actually it's a key part of the discussion because it shows the results than can occur from specifically inciting violence which is the reason that inciting violence is illegal even if nothing actually happened. (Kinda like how solicitation of murder is also illegal)

General rabble rousing isn't enough, that's still protected free speech....otherwise Sharpton would have gotten 20 years for what went down at Freddies Fashion Mart.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh I did; BUT was it not still prosecuted? Now about those other cases.....?

and while we're at it what about this little tid bit:

Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue | The Smoking Gun

Not even a prosecutable offense in Gulag Canada.

Morons!
I stated my opinion on that law. I said I did not agree with it and it likely would not stand up to a challenge.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:08 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
Quote:
Your rights end at the tip of my nose.
My rights end when I need to initiate force upon another to exercise them, because I, nor anyone else, has a right to initiate force upon another. Any thought, speech, action that is not an initiation of force against anyone else is well within a human's natural rights.

Any initiation of force, aggression, by a person, group, or government against any person, group, or government is immoral, evil, and anti-human. Only retaliatory force is "just". Initiation of force is never "just".

Old 09-11-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Actually it's a key part of the discussion because it shows the results than can occur from specifically inciting violence which is the reason that inciting violence is illegal even if nothing actually happened. (Kinda like how solicitation of murder is also illegal)
Solicitation of murder requires more than someone spouting off they want someone dead.

Quote:
General rabble rousing isn't enough, that's still protected free speech....otherwise Sharpton would have gotten 20 years for what went down at Freddies Fashion Mart.
Which is all this guy was doing.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:15 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
I stated my opinion on that law. I said I did not agree with it and it likely would not stand up to a challenge.
But yet it's still going to be prosecuted isn't it?

How about these ones which the O/P has yet to comment upon:

Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Justin Carter
Teen in jail for months over 'sarcastic' Facebook threat - CNN.com

Josh Pillault
Second teen spends months in jail for video game threat | The Daily Caller
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies