Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:52 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Good point. The war mongers want to go back to boots on the ground, but the fact is--we cannot afford it. They would then go around complaining about the debt. I think they forget where the Iraq War funds came from--we still owe China. What country is going to give us the funds for another war?? Want to borrow from Russia? How about Saudi Arabia--all that oil money? Will Cheney and McCain pay for it? Does anyone believe Congress would approve the financing? This is what happens when a war is initiated with no strategy or plan whatsoever--other than knocking off Saddam.
Can we "afford" all the stimulus and unfunded future entitlements? No, but that doesn't stop people from spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 11:56 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,249,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I don't think there are so many on the dole that the Republicans have no chance. I'm from Appalachia, where most people are on the dole, and it's reliably Republican.
Republicans and they are mostly on the dole? Would you mind repeating that the next time an extremist conservative recklessly claims they're all Dems?

Old 09-11-2014, 11:58 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Can we "afford" all the stimulus and unfunded future entitlements? No, but that doesn't stop people from spending.
Of course we can, it just requires the will to do so. Our country goes from one threat to another, cold war to terrorism. How about we spend the money on our infrastructure and reforming entitlements?

Old 09-11-2014, 11:58 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
From the link:

"The poll finds that 55 percent of adults think Republicans will do a better job protecting the country from terrorism and military threats, while 32 percent think Democrats will. "

Regardless of which party the 1000 polled people think will do a better job, is the question of how are we going to pay for it .

No one knows what it's going to cost. Projections are worthless in war. The initial projections back when were in the range of $60 billion along with the skewed idea that the entire effort would conclude in a matter of weeks-months, dependent on source, Rumsfeld or the CBO. Reality is closer to $6 Trillion which includes the protraction, actual and future benefits, actual and future interest on the debt that was accumulated, training and rebuilding.

I think McCain's sense that US involvement could ( should ?) be a 100 year effort is likely closer to reality than anything else, unless, of course, we simply decline to engage.

Rather than incurring new debt, how bout we immediately create a new tax and call it what it is, a War Tax. Doing so would significantly reduce the cost of war because the cost of financing the war would be a non issue with a pay as we war approach. The US could remain engaged as long as the people are willing to pay the War Tax. No more of this irresponsible deficit spending.

" We spent 10 years training the Iraqi military. When the enemy came, they put down their weapons, shed their uniforms and hid" - Rand Paul

(Before Rand Pal changed his mind)

Old 09-11-2014, 11:59 AM

430 posts, read 379,586 times
Keeping the country prosperous? LMAO who voted? The rich?

Old 09-11-2014, 12:01 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
I just don't understand how providing stimulus (IF DONE RIGHT) to create jobs for fellow Americans, could possibly be on par with spending money with little regard for the safety of our nation and its borders or long term care of our soldiers, spent in far away places instead. War is unproductive, costly, and last resort.
America has forgotten that. Corporations remember the cost, as it benefits THEM.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:03 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,249,351 times
Quote:
It is not going to match the expense of the war. And the cost of the war was hidden.

"The U.S. war in Iraq has cost $1.7 trillion with an additional $490 billion in benefits owed to war veterans, expenses that could grow to more than $6 trillion over the next four decades counting interest, a study released on Thursday said."

Iraq war costs U.S. more than $2 trillion: study | Reuters

How Americans were swindled by the hidden cost of the Iraq war

Iraq war hikes true cost of oil to US$300

Old 09-11-2014, 12:15 PM

939 posts, read 794,872 times
Quote:
I don't think there are so many on the dole that the Republicans have no chance. I'm from Appalachia, where most people are on the dole, and it's reliably Republican.
How else do you explain Obama getting re-elected after such a terrible first four years? I'm not trying to put you on the defensive, I just believe our Nation has turned a corner it will never go back to because the majority of people now appear apathetic and willfully ignorant. I hope I'm wrong.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:17 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I just don't understand how providing stimulus (IF DONE RIGHT) to create jobs for fellow Americans, could possibly be on par with spending money with little regard for the safety of our nation and its borders or long term care of our soldiers, spent in far away places instead. War is unproductive, costly, and last resort.
America has forgotten that. Corporations remember the cost, as it benefits THEM.
I worked at a defense contractor for two years. An expansion of the wars created jobs there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies