Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 12:43 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Citizen United had NOTHING to do with how campaigns are financed. NOTHING.
Except change WHO can fund it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They disallowed the law that tried to exclude free speech rights to those that always had it before.

Does the 4th state that corporations are covered?

Can the government search a corporation without a warrant?
The 4th amendment states nothing about corporations.... It's up to us to adapt and interpret vagueness of the constitution....obviously I disagree with the supreme court with the United case I'm surprised conservatives feel this way about this issue...

Old 09-15-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
They did no such thing. Why the spin and lies?
Guessing you didn't read the dissent on the case because the implications are pretty spelled out.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:58 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Sad you believe big business and wealthy donors should have a little more "free speech" than the average American voter
Under what pretex should we establish limits on 'free speech'? Wealth?

Its YOU who want to restrict someones rights.. its sad

Even more ironic is the same morons who applauded Obamas $1B campaign spending as a sign of the people have spoken, now want to limit the people speaking.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
The 4th amendment states nothing about corporations.... It's up to us to adapt and interpret vagueness of the constitution....obviously I disagree with the supreme court with the United case I'm surprised conservatives feel this way about this issue...
I bet you have no problem with corporations paying taxes though..

tell me, how can someone who is liable to pay taxes, give up other rights like freedom of speech, and you have no problem with it?

4th amendment doesnt need to specifically state corporations since corporations being people go back far before the establishment of america.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

Free speech on who.... Or WHAT in this case. If you want multinational corporations with the same freedoms as American citizens then you're crazy.... It doesn't bother you that a foreign based company now has the same freedom of speech as you when it comes to elections and campaigning....?

Old 09-15-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Free speech on who.... Or WHAT in this case. If you want multinational corporations with the same freedoms as American citizens then you're crazy.... It doesn't bother you that a foreign based company now has the same freedom of speech as you when it comes to elections and campaigning....?
You guys on the left had no problem with obama taking funding from credit cards overseas to fund his campaign just a few years ago...

Again, do you think corporations should be taxed?

taxation without representation cant take place without the representation part.. Do you need to be reminded of this?

Old 09-15-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I bet you have no problem with corporations paying taxes though..

tell me, how can someone who is liable to pay taxes, give up other rights like freedom of speech, and you have no problem with it?

4th amendment doesnt need to specifically state corporations since corporations being people go back far before the establishment of america.
Because our taxes don't go to the election of people. A business owner, as an individual, has not lost any right..... I repeat, as an individual.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:07 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
They redefined what a person is.... I'd say that is a major reform.
Nowhere in the majority opinion do corporations or people get redefined. In fact, the majority opinion lists all the various decisions going back over 70 years that support the simple fact that speech does not lose it's 1st Amendment protections simply because the source of the speech is a corporation or other association.

People do not get redefined.
Corporations are not redefined as people.
No new rights get extended to corporations.

Read the entire majority opinion. Nothing gets defined or redefined.

The 1st Amendment was abridged by McCain-Feingold, and that abridgement was overturned by Citizens United. period.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:07 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:

Even more ironic is the same morons who applauded Obamas $1B campaign spending as a sign of the people have spoken, now want to limit the people speaking.
Personhood, you know a walking talking breathing person that is a Citizen of the United States of America. That is how I would limit Free Speech you know like the Founders envisioned.

You do know Lies are only the refuge of losers, don't ya.

What is even more moronic is to make such statements in a post to someone that has never done any such thing, but then again that brings us back to your issue with truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies