Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2014, 09:02 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times

Advertisements

Holy crap... I couldn't get through the video. They needed a ball or something to pass around. Like in elementary school, when you have the ball you can speak. This was mess.

As a whole, I respect Maher's argument. There is a slight problem though, the Muslim world is a broad term. Turkey, Pakistan, Indonesia, and Saudi Arabia are all part of the 'Muslim world' but they are all very different. Saudi Arabia runs rampant for sexism, while Indonesian women are completely equal to men. So to put a blanket statement over the entire population of Islam as being of hate is unfair. The only relevant point Affleck made during his various 'interrupt Sam Harris' moments was that not all Muslims agree with the fundamentalist view. Which is undeniably true. Just like not all Christians hate homosexuals or think the Earth was literally created in 6 days.

As for my view of Islam, it's a religion. And to me, the world is better off without it. Should people have the right to chose their religion? Since it's there, yeah. However, many religions struggle with the concept of choice. Growing up thinking this way of life is the only way isn't really a choice. Islam has a much darker version of this than Christianity. The Koran is more violent than the Bible (though to pretend the Bible is entirely peaceful is idiotic) and Islam, at this point in history, has more violent members than that of other religions. The need to defend Islam by the left is silly. They don't need defending. We need to be clear on our views. You believe what you want and I'll believe what I want and none of us will kill each other. It's that simple.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:03 PM
Jza

259 posts, read 379,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
I really could not care less what Affleck has to say and I wish he would have stopped interrupting Sam Harris every time he tried to speak.
Who wants to hear what Sam Harris has to say anyway. All Sam's got going for him is being an extremely well articulated neuroscientist and author. Ben's got Gigli and he's in a corny music video rubbing tan oil on the ever failing at relationships JLo, much more credibility.

/sarcasm

Old 10-04-2014, 09:18 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,053 times
"It's racist and it's gross." Ben Affleck really summed up the Left's stance on criticizing Islam. That's the level of discourse we usually get.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:40 PM
Jza

259 posts, read 379,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
"It's racist and it's gross." Ben Affleck really summed up the Left's stance on criticizing Islam. That's the level of discourse we usually get.
Funny you take that quote from Ben. I was thinking after watching, does he really think they are racists? He just classified what they were saying as racist and gross, but I'm not sure he believes what he's saying. How does anything Sam or Bill are saying equate to racism at all? Ben had a big toothy grin when Bill Maher approved of his talent in film direction so I think they are on good terms. I'm sure I'm over thinking it, but Ben was riding on such a high horse I think the air was too thin for him.

Where's Hitch when you need him. He would have verbally disemboweled Ben.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:47 PM

268 posts, read 241,165 times
Celebrities have to make sure they don't offend anyone so they'll see their movies.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:04 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times
I couldn't get through much of the video but I will say the same thing about the views of Ben Affleck that I would say about any other movie star, TV star, pop star, professional athlete etc. They are allowed to hold their views. They are citizens of the United States and are as entitled as any other citizen to their opinions.

Having said that, I don't care what entertainers have to say about politics any more than I care what my plumber has to say about politics. I pay them to provide me with a service (cleaning out my pipes or entertaining me with one of their movies). That's it.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:12 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Ben Affleck is clueless because he lives in a bubble, like most of the entertainment industry brain trust.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:24 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza View Post
Funny you take that quote from Ben. I was thinking after watching, does he really think they are racists? He just classified what they were saying as racist and gross, but I'm not sure he believes what he's saying. How does anything Sam or Bill are saying equate to racism at all? Ben had a big toothy grin when Bill Maher approved of his talent in film direction so I think they are on good terms. I'm sure I'm over thinking it, but Ben was riding on such a high horse I think the air was too thin for him.

Where's Hitch when you need him. He would have verbally disemboweled Ben.
I think he completely failed to understand the point that was being made.

He was too busy trying to get in his angry knee jerk response to actually comprehend what was being said. He came off looking like an unhinged idiot.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:27 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
racist is the wrong word but gross is the right one.

You guys are generalizing 1.5 billion people based on the actions of 30,000.

how much sense does that make ?

heck, never mind the fact that Turkey is a NATO member and 99.8% muslim.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:28 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,312 times
Default UK imams condemn Isis in online video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XduMMteTEbc#t=418 (From 6.57 - 7.27 mins in)
The BBC rightfully covered it:
BBC News - UK imams condemn Isis in online video
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies