Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 09:19 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
You are one ignorant uneducated arrogant person, the UK's poor are nowhere near as poor and disadvantaged like the USA's poor I'm not bragging about getting "handouts" I'm in full time education I'm not exactly a leech on the economy.

This is how it works when you're unemployed or in education the government will help you to pay for essentials but when you find work you will put back what you fit via taxes.

The US is a much more unequal society than the UK (note Europe is not a country but a continent) that's blatantly obvious. I'm not going to converse with you because I can hint a undertone of racism in your post regarding "immigrants"
Take a deep breath and calm down. No need for name calling or temper tantrums just because you can't form a tenable argument.

According to the OECD and the United Nations you are incorrect. I certainly hope that we can continue a civilized discussion without the need for classless mud-slinging.

Britain Is The Most Unequal Country In The West

"The poorest fifth of Britons have an average per capita income 32 per cent lower than their equivalents in the US and 44 per cent lower than in the Netherlands."

Quote:
I wonder why so many Americans are moving to Canada.. I wonder
In a given year, 2-3 times the Canadians move to the US as vice versa, despite having 1/10 the population. Feel free to compare official immigration figures of the two countries for the last decade.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:31 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
I posted an article not all calculations by United n
ations and such are correct.

Quote:

Before accounting for taxes and transfers, the U.S. ranked 10th in income
inequality; among the countries with more unequal income distributions were
France, the U.K. and Ireland. But after taking taxes and transfers into account,
the U.S. had the second-highest level of inequality, behind only Chile. (Mexico
and Brazil had higher after-tax/transfer Gini scores, but no “before” scores
with which to compare them; including them would push the U.S. down to fourth
place.)
So after taxes etc the US falls below France, the UK etc maybe because there's little structure to support the poor there.

Here's another article showing child poverty is higher in the US than the UK.

Another thing you need to bare in mind is that different countries are well, different cost of living isn't the same everywhere so its all relative.

For example Londoners earn more on average than the rest of the UK but rent is much higher so there's less money left over for "fun"

Old 09-13-2014, 09:31 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Take a deep breath and calm down. No need for name calling or temper tantrums just because you can't form a tenable argument.

According to the OECD and the United Nations you are incorrect. I certainly hope that we can continue a civilized discussion without the need for classless mud-slinging.

Britain Is The Most Unequal Country In The West

"The poorest fifth of Britons have an average per capita income 32 per cent lower than their equivalents in the US and 44 per cent lower than in the Netherlands."

In a given year, 2-3 times the Canadians move to the US as vice versa, despite having 1/10 the population. Feel free to compare official immigration figures of the two countries for the last decade.
It's too late for that. You have already resorted to cliched stereotypes about the appearance of Britons and proclaim to know more about it than the people who live here. You slung the mud already - don't be upset if people treat your posts with the contempt they deserve.

Oh, and are we still focusing on per capita income? In any case, the OECD's figures are notoriously volatile.

Here, have a look at this:

It appears to show the bottom decile of income earners in the US earn a lot less than most other developed countries. Hm. I suppose this is a case of anything can be proven correct depending on your source.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here - what vendetta do you have against the UK, that makes you so insistent on proving how awful it is?

Old 09-13-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I posted an article not all calculations by United n
ations and such are correct.

So after taxes etc the US falls below France, the UK etc maybe because there's little structure to support the poor there.
Thanks for the response. So it's a close run between the very poorest Britons and the very poorest Americans, but the rest of Americans are much richer than Britons. Sounds like a good deal to me. This is more evidence that the US would be better off without tens of millions more poor whites who are utterly dependent on the government dole.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the response. So it's a close run between the very poorest Britons and the very poorest Americans, but the rest of Americans are much richer than Britons. Sounds like a good deal to me. This is more evidence that the US would be better off without tens of millions more poor whites who are utterly dependent on the government dole.
It really isn't a "close run" can you retrain from saying "whites" and "immigrants" please?

Ok as you find it hard to grasp benefits are in place to help support people who are in education, disabled or looking for work its not for people that "don't want to work" yes a small minority take advantage but its a small amount of money that is given to people on the dole so the possibility that they like being unemployed when they can work is ridiculous.

Another twist is that when people do work they get less than or only a little more than what they would if they're on benefits especially if they haven't got any skills. So in a way the people that have no skills are trapped in poverty by the fault of themselves AND the government.

American middle class (exclude British upper class they're probably filthy rich) and British middle class differ, the culture of materialism is much greater in the US but middle class people here are more into status and holidays.

If the USA and the UK joined to form one country than the poor people in the UK who can't find work would swarm to the US for work. Business in the US would have a new market so the many people that are on benefits trying to find work or people like me in education on benefits would find work more easily. So your judgement is very wrong I can't imagine the same for the US considering..

Old 09-13-2014, 09:58 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,205,426 times
Quote:
Its clear the US is the most unequal country in the developed world it may be "richer" but the poorer are poorer, more likely to go starving and give up with life...Global inequality: How the U.S. compares | Pew Research Center

Face facts...

And its all because of this attitude of "its my money why should the government take it away from me"

There's nothing in the UK that compares to the ghettos of the US, I wonder why so many Americans are moving to Canada.. I wonder
So true.

Rural parts of America are terrible.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
It really isn't a "close run" can you retrain from saying "whites" and "immigrants" please?

Ok as you find it hard to grasp benefits are in place to help support people who are in education, disabled or looking for work its not for people that "don't want to work" yes a small minority take advantage but its a small amount of money that is given to people on the dole so the possibility that they like being unemployed when they can work is ridiculous.

Another twist is that when people do work they get less than or only a little more than what they would if they're on benefits especially if they haven't got any skills. So in a way the people that have no skills are trapped in poverty by the fault of themselves AND the government.

American middle class (exclude British upper class they're probably filthy rich) and British middle class differ, the culture of materialism is much greater in the US but middle class people here are more into status and holidays.

If the USA and the UK joined to form one country than the poor people in the UK who can't find work would swarm to the US for work. Business in the US would have a new market so the many people that are on benefits trying to find work or people like me in education on benefits would find work more easily. So your judgement is very wrong I can't imagine the same for the US considering..
I am flattered you want to be annexed but there isn't anything in it for us. Like you say the British would flood America looking for work. Why? Because the needy benefit from jobs and opportunity rather than becoming dependent on the gocernment. We have the same thing in the US and don't need even more people who dont give but only take overwhelming the system. This is why the UK has sky high taxes, few jobs, low standard of living, yet people want more and more. Look at the rabble in Scotland, willing to destroy the country in order to get more handouts when they already get plenty. Instead of attracting high tech industry they just want to raise taxes. We don't need that burden.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:29 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
Wouldnt happen. Few countries would be prepared to accept such nonsense.
I didn't say it WOULD happen. I said HOW it would take place.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I am flattered you want to be annexed but there isn't anything in it for us. Like you say the British would flood America looking for work. Why? Because the needy benefit from jobs and opportunity rather than becoming dependent on the gocernment. We have the same thing in the US and don't need even more people who dont give but only take overwhelming the system. This is why the UK has sky high taxes, few jobs, low standard of living, yet people want more and more. Look at the rabble in Scotland, willing to destroy the country in order to get more handouts when they already get plenty. Instead of attracting high tech industry they just want to raise taxes. We don't need that burden.
The ignorance is astonishing are you even reading my posts or reading a couple words and jumping to conclusions?

The US would BENEFIT if people from the UK came to the US to work, in the uk the opposite would happen the US poor would flood the UK for free healthcare and handouts. Get it? Do you understand that??

Because of the DEMONIZATION of poor people in the US, lack of resources that the US government chose not to give to the needy they lag behind and lose determination to find work so when a state like the UK joins that are more accomodating to people who are unemployed the UK would get a mass of US underclass people at UK borders. While our present UK working class people that are not in work will find jobs they would be replaced by US poor immigrants which have a different mentality...

The UK would be worse off not the USA.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:46 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Its clear the US is the most unequal country in the developed world it may be "richer" but the poorer are poorer, more likely to go starving and give up with life...Global inequality: How the U.S. compares | Pew Research Center

Face facts...

And its all because of this attitude of "its my money why should the government take it away from me"

There's nothing in the UK that compares to the ghettos of the US, I wonder why so many Americans are moving to Canada.. I wonder
I'd move to Canada if I could. The fact that the gap between rich and poor in this country has reached Grand Canyon levels is obvious to any adult who hasn't lived under a rock. to say America's poor are better off is little more than a display of a complete lack of knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies