Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 09:44 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
This child came nowhere close to death so obviously that is not what we're dealing with here.

All I'm disagreeing with is how he is being painted as this cruel and hateful father when we have no reason to determine such a thing.
Don't you think that those people who abused their children to death started out intending to do so...or didn't start with lesser physical punishments? Shall we only be outraged when some kid dies at the hands of his father or mother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 09:44 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
hello he is a cruel and hateful father. how bad is a 4 year old that the parent needs a spanking room? this abuse can not be tolerated. just because the man was brought up with this type of abuse doesn't mean he should continue it. when something is wrong it is wrong. he has taught his child nothing but fear and hate.
Yep, that is going to be an angry young man growing up. At the very least, Peterson needs to lose his parenting rights to that child, and maybe all his children (he has multiple children/multiple baby momma's).

Old 09-14-2014, 09:46 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Three positives of this incident.

1) The child won't have to suffer a life of physical abuse in anonymity.

2) Adrian can get the help he needs to change and really improve the quailty of his relationship with his child.

3)Just talking about the abuse and exposing it to sunlight fades it that much more.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:56 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Don't you think that those people who abused their children to death started out intending to do so...or didn't start with lesser physical punishments? Shall we only be outraged when some kid dies at the hands of his father or mother?
Right here in this thread you have several people talking about how they received the switch or some similar punishment as a child. None of us have made mention of our parents being cruel, abusive or placing us in danger. Of all the parents in the world that spank their kids, the ones who recklessly put their child in any real danger are no doubt a small minority.

Peterson made a mistake. He's a big dude who likely underestimated his own strength behind that switch.

The American public is just soft.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:05 AM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Yeah I said I got switched. My Dad also beat my mother, my sisters.. He was an angry drunk. He shot at me and my mom with a broadhead arrow one day, came at my mom with a butcher knife, destroyed the house.. My mother also lost her temper fast and resorted to open palm smacking across the face. I can't count how many times my older sister got whacked by those bony fingers.

My parents were rough. It was a lesson on how NOT to raise kids.

My wife's parents were the opposite- cool, calm, logical. Both my wife and bro-in-law were stellar kids in school, whereas I had problems. That was a lesson how to raise kids.

If you have to 'beat' a 4 year old- you certainly are not from the latter camp. Peterson has issues- bad issues. Switching to the point of cuts, bruises and marks (as shown) is not discipline. It's not spanking. It's abuse.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Yeah I said I got switched. My Dad also beat my mother, my sisters.. He was an angry drunk. He shot at me and my mom with a broadhead arrow one day, came at my mom with a butcher knife, destroyed the house.. My mother also lost her temper fast and resorted to open palm smacking across the face. I can't count how many times my older sister got whacked by those bony fingers.

My parents were rough. It was a lesson on how NOT to raise kids.

My wife's parents were the opposite- cool, calm, logical. Both my wife and bro-in-law were stellar kids in school, whereas I had problems. That was a lesson how to raise kids.

If you have to 'beat' a 4 year old- you certainly are not from the latter camp. Peterson has issues- bad issues. Switching to the point of cuts, bruises and marks (as shown) is not discipline. It's not spanking. It's abuse.
I was spanked too. Most often with a belt, extension cord or the hand. My mom didn't even drink wine with dinner, worked overtime at a crummy job just to give us things we didn't even need, and to this very day would lay down her life for us. I'd bet Peterson's kids will be able to say the same thing about him one day, and I'm sure he feels the same way about his own parents.

I grew up in a neighborhood where other black boys received little to no discipline from their parents. As a result their futures were less than bright.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:40 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,993 times
I've been spanked with all manner of things including a switch. In fact a switch was always lying around my grandmother's house. Yet I never had marks like those. Welts yes, but broken skin? No way. I'm not against spanking. I have a lot of family members who still spank their kids. I believe it should be up to the parents.

However, I don't think what he did was an average 'whooping'. The kid is Four years old. Four. I wholeheartedly disagree with the idea that pushing another kid off a game, at four, warrants the kind of whooping he doled out. The kid's age versus what he was given? Yeah, it crossed into abuse.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:42 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
[quote=mega man;36491338]I was spanked too. Most often with a belt, extension cord or the hand. My mom didn't even drink wine with dinner, worked overtime at a crummy job just to give us things we didn't even need, and to this very day would lay down her life for us. I'd bet Peterson's kids will be able to say the same thing about him one day, and I'm sure he feels the same way about his own parents.

I grew up in a neighborhood where other black boys received little to no discipline from their parents. As a result their futures were less than bright.[/QUOTE]

This!

My father spanked me with a piece of thin hardwood flooring that was laying everywhere while he was building our house in 1950. I committed the sin of calling our mother a "f***ing b****" within his earshot and needed to be taught the severity of the punishment suiting the severity of the infraction. Did it leave welts, yep, that was the whole intent. Did it emotionally scar me for life? Nope, leastwise not that I'm aware of. Being sent to my room without any evening TV would not have impressed me with needing to fear the commission of a repeat offense.

People need to understand that corporal punishment used sparingly and effectively without anger did nothing more than imbue the receiver with an awareness they had ignored responsibility and crossed an important line that would garner terrible results.

Both my older brother and I received that particular punishment only once for similar offenses related to disrespect of either of our parents. Did we repeat the offense towards ANYONE after that? NOPE!

Did we, or do we now, consider ourselves as having been abused children? Most emphatically not! We consider ourselves as having been nurtured by parents who cared enough to teach us responsibility for our behaviour is required as a basic moral imperative.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:46 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
[quote=BruSan;36491648]
Quote:
I was spanked too. Most often with a belt, extension cord or the hand. My mom didn't even drink wine with dinner, worked overtime at a crummy job just to give us things we didn't even need, and to this very day would lay down her life for us. I'd bet Peterson's kids will be able to say the same thing about him one day, and I'm sure he feels the same way about his own parents.

I grew up in a neighborhood where other black boys received little to no discipline from their parents. As a result their futures were less than bright.[/QUOTE]
Quote:
This!

My father spanked me with a piece of thin hardwood flooring that was laying everywhere while he was building our house in 1950. I committed the sin of calling our mother a "f***ing b****" within his earshot and needed to be taught the severity of the punishment suiting the severity of the infraction. Did it leave welts, yep, that was the whole intent. Did it emotionally scar me for life? Nope, leastwise not that I'm aware of. Being sent to my room without any evening TV would not have impressed me with needing to fear the commission of a repeat offense.

People need to understand that corporal punishment used sparingly and effectively without anger did nothing more than imbue the receiver with an awareness they had ignored responsibility and crossed an important line that would garner terrible results.

Both my older brother and I received that particular punishment only once for similar offenses related to disrespect of either of our parents. Did we repeat the offense towards ANYONE after that? NOPE!

Did we, or do we now, consider ourselves as having been abused children? Most emphatically not! We consider ourselves as having been nurtured by parents who cared enough to teach us responsibility for our behaviour is required as a basic moral imperative.

That should never be tolerated....but back then was normal. We can progress as a nation. I strongly believe in discipline but not hitting.....you are the adult and should set the standard for maturity but in my opinion stooping to a violent level is a reactionary response not based on love but retribution.

What if your mom called your dad something...would you think it is right for him to do the same to your mom, to teach her a lesson in respect? I would hope not. If not in that case, why would some think it is ok to that to a little child. To me as a father of 3 boys under 10, it is exactly the same thing, if not worse.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
I've been spanked with all manner of things including a switch. In fact a switch was always lying around my grandmother's house. Yet I never had marks like those. Welts yes, but broken skin? No way. I'm not against spanking. I have a lot of family members who still spank their kids. I believe it should be up to the parents.

However, I don't think what he did was an average 'whooping'. The kid is Four years old. Four. I wholeheartedly disagree with the idea that pushing another kid off a game, at four, warrants the kind of whooping he doled out. The kid's age versus what he was given? Yeah, it crossed into abuse.
But you admit to being hit with a switch, and you are confident that it is not abuse, correct? So let's compare your grandmother to a muscle bound running back. In my mind, that translates to him simply underestimating his own strength. The result is an accident that resulted from the use of some poor judgment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies