Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 02:44 PM

19,590 posts, read 22,462,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I'm not calling your family members weak, but as physically powerful as an NFL player? Come on. The man's arms are ostrich eggs.

That much I agree with. That type of butt whooping doesn't seem appropriate for any offense that a 4 year old would commit.
That "type of butt whopping" ain't appropriate for anyone, regardless of age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 02:55 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,415,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
can you enlighten us on what you think IS child physical abuse if this is not?
Hold on here; where should anyone have to list all of the symptoms they think constitute abuse to satisfy anyone else's personal agenda.

It is enough that what constitutes child abuse has legal definitions and for some reason, diametrically opposed camps have needlessly been struck with neither camp ever suggesting a beat down leaving a kid bleeding is acceptable punishment protocol.

There is no need for bellicose posturing with faux outrage when absolutely no one has suggested they would spank to the point of drawing blood or breaking bones.

Some calm deliberation needs to be applied here before getting all up in each others headlights over reading between lines not presented.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:02 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,415,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
Heh. Not quite. My grandmother had worked on a farm all her life. She was not a weak woman. She was also not the only one to grab for it. My grandfather and uncles would do the same. It was just a normal thing. None of them were weak in the slightest and none ever left the kind of marks this child had. Do I think what they did was abuse? No.

Do I think what he did was different? Oh yes. I wouldn't blink half as much if the kid was older but that one detail is pretty important.
There ya go. A bit of applied cognitive reasoning coloured slightly grey without arriving at a black versus white conclusion.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:03 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,758,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
That "type of butt whopping" ain't appropriate for anyone, regardless of age.
I'm referring to the use of a switch with that many lashings, not the breaking of skin. I should have specified.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:07 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,710,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
On the contrary, where I come from, those kids that were not spanked were the ones who stayed in trouble at school and grew up to stay in trouble with the law.

I was spanked. I have never been violent and I am certainly not angry.
I'm sure you went around and asked every kid in your school if they were beaten...and then came back five or ten years later to determine outcomes.

Justice Study: Prior Abuse Reported by Inmates - National CASA - CASA for Children

Old 09-14-2014, 04:11 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,962,748 times
Peterson will have the opportunity to explain to a jury of his peers why he is just a loving parent and not some out of control psychopath. I'd be happy to serve on the jury.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:44 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,758,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
I'm sure you went around and asked every kid in your school if they were beaten...and then came back five or ten years later to determine outcomes.
Every kid? No, but I come from a very small and very tight knit community. It was very easy to know what went on the houses of most of the kids I hung around. So, yes, generally speaking, we did know which kids were spanked and we also know who grew up to get in a lot of trouble.

In order for your link to be effective in this argument, you have to be able to determine whether or not each of these inmates considered spanking to be abuse. Obviously, there is no way for you to find that out, so that issue is moot, as far as my point is concerned. I do not think spanking and abuse are the same thing. You may disagree.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:35 PM

31,934 posts, read 14,928,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
My old man backhanded me across the mouth one time when I said something I shouldn't have to my Mom. It never happened again.

The old man was tough, so tough just a look from him was all it took. But at the same time he had a huge heart. To me that meant a lot, more than any fear of him.

Using something like a branch to hit your child? Just tells me you have no clue of parenting or communication.
My husband had the same experience with his dad. Backhand across the face for disrespecting his mother and it never happened again. It was a lesson taught and learned. My husband never feared him and they were always extremely close.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:18 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,517,293 times
Judging from the photos, this particular case looks like child abuse to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
A bit? As far as I'm concerned ALL spanking is child abuse, but this there is no defense for.
Nope. Not all spankings are child abuse, the majority are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Paddles in high school? What third world country did you grow up in?
Our school sends home a form that you can sign and allow swats after a phone call to the parents to explain the situation and get verbal permission. I signed it this year, and will consider it each year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
I believe in spanking you children, this is not a case of spanking. This is a clear case of child abuse. You never hit your child so hard you leave open wounds.
Exactly.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:24 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,951,998 times
I support spanking, because sometimes you just have to break one off to get the point across. However; this was overkill. There is no need to whip a 4 year old with a switch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies