Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 03:17 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,469,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Adrian Peterson of Minnesota Vikings faced previous child-abuse accusation - ESPN

I believe that he truly loves his son, and as long as that love is present, there isn't a judge or jury in America that can destroy the relationship between him and his kid.
No. I know of no definition of true love that involves beatings with foreign objects. If A.P. truly loved his children he would have dedicated himself to being educated on proper parenting skills. He would never use a foreign object to administer beatings. A.P. is an abusive, ignorant, and lazy parent. What is sad is that it will take a court to get that point through his head. I hope he educates himself and changes his ways. For his own sake and especially for the sake of his children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 04:04 PM

31,077 posts, read 22,134,821 times
I find it odd that the people here who were beaten with sticks and razor thin belts until welts and bruises were formed think that it was somehow justified. All it proves is your parent's were out of control.

I was beat a couple of times when I was a kid, and it was the result of a frusterated parent, not some balanced and fair use of corporal punishment for a lesson. You can tell from the expression on a beaters face that it is typically not love driving the punishment.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:05 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,800,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The judge can revoke his parental rights and forbid him to come within 500 feet of the boy.
He can't forbid communication with the boy (not that I know of) nor can he stop his son from continuing a relationship with his father once he is of age.

So like I was saying, the court has limited power over this situation. The Peterson family must know that.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I find it odd that the people here who were beaten with sticks and razor thin belts until welts and bruises were formed think that it was somehow justified. All it proves is your parent's were out of control.

I was beat a couple of times when I was a kid, and it was the result of a frusterated parent, not some balanced and fair use of corporal punishment for a lesson. You can tell from the expression on a beaters face that it is typically not love driving the punishment.
Well you need to speak for yourself and stop trying to speak for others. My mother was neither frustrated nor angry when she was administering these disciplines. As a matter of fact she made it a point to never spank us when she was angry.

I have first hand experience with abuse and I have first hand experience with discipline. I'm wise enough to know the difference between the two and could care less who disagrees with that.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:18 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,116,750 times
Quote:
He can't forbid communication with the boy (not that I know of)
A judge most certainly could issue a CPO (Child Protective Order) against Adrian Peterson - and CPOs can cover all forms of communication.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:21 PM

33,567 posts, read 37,182,394 times
Quote:
Well you need to speak for yourself and stop trying to speak for others. My mother was neither frustrated nor angry when she was administering these disciplines. As a matter of fact she made it a point to never spank us when she was angry.

I have first hand experience with abuse and I have first hand experience with discipline. I'm wise enough to know the difference between the two and could care less who disagrees with that.
In my opinion you are deluding yourself....Any and all corporal punishment is abuse....All it teaches the child is that it is ok for the strong to beat the weak.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:24 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,116,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
In my opinion you are deluding yourself....Any and all corporal punishment is abuse....All it teaches the child is that it is ok for the strong to beat the weak.
And study after study shows that kids who were subjected to corporal punishment are more likely to be bullies and as adults are more likely to commit domestic violence assaults.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:24 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,701,078 times
Looks like he is back on the team practicing and expected to play this coming week....

My mom would whoop me when I got home from school and then when my dad got home from the AF base, she would tell him what I did and he would wait(so he must not have been too mad) until I got in the tub.... Naked as a J-bird. Talk about whelps.

I didn't like moms whoopins, but I feared dads!
I never did that again!

Old 09-16-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
A judge most certainly could issue a CPO (Child Protective Order) against Adrian Peterson - and CPOs can cover all forms of communication.
Including telephone/internet conversation? That sounds like a measure that would be used only in the most extreme cases of child abuse and endangerment. Not at all appropriate for Peterson's situation.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:27 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,701,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
And study after study shows that kids who were subjected to corporal punishment are more likely to be bullies and as adults are more likely to commit domestic violence assaults.

That study didn't include me, or it would have swayed your results.
Got a link to the study you made?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies