Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 04:42 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

The Next Chapter of Obamacare

To say this fall's 2015 Obamacare open-enrollment has the potential to be problematic is an understatement.

Apparently the backroom website for HealthCare.gov is not built and is a year behind schedule. This means no official census and no official accounting system. Could be chaotic for the coming year.

While the administration tells Obamacare policyholders their automatic renewal will go smoothly, the fact is every one of these subsidy-eligible people needs to go to the exchange website and re-enroll.

The need to re-enroll in order to keep track of the subsidy changes. In other words, out of pocket premiums may go up... taxes may changes.

Five to ten million people all trying to get through exchange websites between November 15 and December 15?

I think this speaks for itself.

------------------------------------------------

Healthcare Expert: Obamacare's 'Quiet Summer' is About to End in a Big Way

Good article with plenty of references to what's coming down the road and the promises broken with this legislation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 04:46 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
I'm hoping that the renewal notices, with the corresponding rate increases that we all know are coming, will be hitting mailboxes by November 1st. I want the voters to REMEMBER who caused them that pain, and vote accordingly.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:52 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm hoping that the renewal notices, with the corresponding rate increases that we all know are coming, will be hitting mailboxes by November 1st. I want the voters to REMEMBER who caused them that pain, and vote accordingly.
Minimizing the pain is why the enrollment starts Nov. 15th this year. Obama moved it back to avoid the bad press right before the election.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:02 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Minimizing the pain is why the enrollment starts Nov. 15th this year. Obama moved it back to avoid the bad press right before the election.
Naturally.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:07 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Quote:
Darn tootin', I'm going to remember who gave me affordable healthcare and who fought tooth and nail against it.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:11 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Five to ten million people all trying to get through exchange websites between November 15 and December 15?
November 15, 2014–February 15, 2015.

"Unless HealthCare.gov customers select new coverage in November, nearly all will be automatically reenrolled, CMS officials said yesterday in a long-awaited rule for the health law’s second sign-up season. They said they’re trying to make it as easy as possible for consumers to stay covered. The only people who will have to update their information on the website to reflect life changes such as marriage or a new job are those who didn’t authorize CMS to renew their subsidy. The rule and other guidance documents: http://go.cms.gov/TBXzVh

Old 09-12-2014, 05:17 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Darn tootin', I'm going to remember who gave me affordable healthcare and who fought tooth and nail against it.
Glad to hear you are getting a deal. Are you getting a subsidy ?

Mine went up about 50% to pay for this great coverage that I already had unless I get pregnant at 60 (and male)

Old 09-12-2014, 05:21 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Quote:
Why do you think the Obummerman delayed open enrollment until Nov 15?

Old 09-12-2014, 05:22 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Premium increase announcements so far seem to show that states where Medicaid was enacted are getting cuts on at least some of the plans while states that did not enact Medicaid are getting increases. This is apparently a reflection of insurers and providers loss experience on uninsured individuals in those states.

The "Blues" rate increases are significant if not out of line with past years in the 10% range, but the co-ops and other plans often have substantial decreases. Shopping around for rates will be wise rather than just accepting the same carrier you had last year. Much like auto and home owners. It's a new world.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:47 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Through the ACA I was able to get health insurance coverage this year that saved me from bankruptcy. I won't be enrolling again this year as I expect to have employer provided insurance, but I will always remember the good things this law did for me and for millions of others with pre-existing conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies