Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 04:01 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times

Advertisements

I'm going by what was reported in the OP not glassdoor whatever the hell that is? Sounds like you need to find a new job. Oh woe is you right. Better to scream and cry and expect everybody else to do what you want. Just amazing how people have become so lazy they can't do anything on their own anymore and if something isn't handed to em they will then get all wound out playing the "not fair" game. Sad actually.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:05 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I'm going by what was reported in the OP not glassdoor whatever the hell that is? Sounds like you need to find a new job. Oh woe is you right. Better to scream and cry and expect everybody else to do what you want. Just amazing how people have become so lazy they can't do anything on their own anymore and if something isn't handed to em they will then get all wound out playing the "not fair" game. Sad actually.
How about if you do something, instead of having it handed to you. Investigate for yourself what the wages are at Walmart instead of having the OP do it for you.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:16 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
This one is simple. You don't like the dress code or you having to buy a friggen shirt then quit and go find another job. Walla issue solved. .
I think it's spelled voila.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:21 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
10% discount is pretty chintzy though.
For a company with a single digit profit margin?

Seriously?

Old 09-15-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Get their sales back??? They have the top revenue of any company in the WORLD.

List of largest companies by revenue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

edit* Although they are ONLY the 3rd most profitable business in the world...oil companies are the most efficient at making profits...
Revenue != Profit

Old 09-15-2014, 04:26 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
I worked at Target in 1989. Work required red polo shirt and khaki pants. My starting pay was far less than them. I bought one uniform and washed it daily until I could afford to buy another uniform. Within a few weeks had three uniforms. The khaki pants have the advantage of looking nicer and more professional than jeans, especially when applying for a job.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
That Walmart chose to offer their employees a 10% discount created the backlash. They could have offered at cost plus handling and broke even.
Cost plus handling could easily be more expensive than retail minus ten percent.

Walmart operates at a profit margin of 3.37%.

The employees should be grateful that they're getting any discount. I know it's typical for retail stores to give their employees discounts, but they have no obligation to do so.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:58 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Wal-Mart is an example of what's wrong with this country.

I'll admit I still shop there too to save money, but we really have to start doing things to hold them more accountable. They're driving down the quality of living in this country.
Aren't you the one who is driving down the quality of living for Wal-Mart workers? if you weren't saving money maybe they could make more.

Or maybe that's the whole point of Wal-Mart. They are actually improving the quality of living in America by allowing millions of people, like you for example, to save money there and have it to spend on something else.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:45 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,861 times
Well I work at Walmart, I didn't read this thread but can add a few things.
There are a lot of unhappy employees there, I seem to be one of the few (sane people) that has no problem with it. Polos and pants aren't expensive. Go anywhere at night thats open, go to Mcdonalds or a Gas station and they all have a dress code they need to follow. I work overnights and we got people wearing batman and chicago bulls hoodies, beanies, vikings hats, shirts in every color of the rainbow. The purpose of the dress code is so we look more professional. I don't see people at Mcdonalds or the gas station wearing a Chicago bulls hoodie in the middle of the night.

We've known about the dress code for months, it was suppose to happen in August but got pushed back to September. They told us the specifics of it just a week or two ago, so we have plenty of time by the end of September to get the right stuff. But yeah, when I work there, I always think "What are these people going to do if they ever leave Walmart and get a different job?" They didn't just tell us randomly one day "Effective tomorrow we have a new dress code"

I work nights, and one of the biggest complaint is no more jeans for the overnight stockers. Khakis will get quite filthy.
One other big complaint I see is that no more sweatshirts or anything, it has to be a cardigan. The store temperature is controlled out of the headquarters in Arkansas (Yes, I am serious. A LOT of things are controlled out of Arkansas and the individual stores can't do anything about it, you'd be surprised) and one side of our store is always way colder then the other. And in Minnesota, it's get cold extremely cold in the winter, and as a result the inside of the store is a lot colder, especially for say the door greeter.

And the 10% discount was not given to us for this new dress code, all employees get a discount card in the mail after they've been with the company for 6 months.

Last edited by Radical_Car; 09-16-2014 at 07:54 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 08:03 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Cost plus handling could easily be more expensive than retail minus ten percent.

Walmart operates at a profit margin of 3.37%.

The employees should be grateful that they're getting any discount. I know it's typical for retail stores to give their employees discounts, but they have no obligation to do so.
They kind of have to if they want to compete. I worked retail once and our discount was 50%. We basically got everything at cost. Now with WMT, though they operate at 3.37% net profit, the COGS represents 76% of their cost. You have to take out SG&A, interest, and taxes to get to the 3.37%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies