Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 04:23 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,226,552 times

Advertisements

I'm okay with you taking my statement out of context...

All it does is show your sympathy for Isis and hatred for our country. Kudos to you boxus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 06:23 AM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
If you read all of the articles, they say they were threatened against paying the ransom, told not to contact the media, and that they just needed to trust the Obama admin. They were assured that the Obama admin was going to get their son back.
Then when he was killed, the Obama admin didn't even contact them to tell them, they found out by a reporter calling them and telling them to turn on the tv.

Josh Earnest said yesterday that the Obama admin didn't threaten anyone, prompting the other beheaded journalist's family to come out last night and confirm that both families were indeed threatened, by both White House and State Dept. officials.

So the Obama White House has once again been proven to be big fat liars:

Sotloff's parents told they could be prosecuted for paying ransom to IS
And to top it off.....

John Kerry found out about the family being told they would be prosecuted if they paid the ransom.....wait for it.....

.....through the media.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:32 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGjCXHFhicI

"
"It was an utterly idiotic thing to do that came across as if [the U.S. official] had the compassion of an anvil," said a former official who has advised the family."

'So Little Compassion': James Foley's Parents Say Officials Threatened Family Over Ransom - ABC News

Do you think the country let him and his family down?
People dealing with grief say many things to try to cope with the fact.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:42 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Listening to the government and not considering the state department as idiots or at best uncaring doofuses was their first mistake. But there wasn't much that could be done on their end. Coming up with the ransom and trying to meet with the terrorists was risky even if they had gotten outside help.
But our government was useless here, they didn't care or didn't want him released. The family should have told any government officials they met with to get bent if they didn't want to help.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:06 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Don't get me wrong I have no more empathy for the reporters above what I would give a soldier dying at the hands of an enemy combatant.
I have no empathy for the reporter. He was not ordered there by the government. He went on his own at the request of his employer. The company he works for should be sued by family if they have issues.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:08 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Did his family haven $100 million? If he was freed he would go right back to Syria and get captured again...

Old 09-14-2014, 07:36 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
What part of "Obama pays ransom when he feels like paying ransom and when it suits his agenda .... don't you apologists NOT understand?
We don't provide ransoms to terror organizations that kill Americans and others (unless you count Iran-Contra) that is never a good idea. Bergdahl was a soldier and part of a prisoner exchange, been done many times. Sam LaHood and other foreign workers were imprisoned in Egypt for tampering in their elections, they should have served their time if convicted.

These people were never raising $100M and even if they did the money would have been used to kill and imprison more people. I feel sorry for the parents and don't blame them for trying but this is not a solution and would have just made the problem worse.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:40 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We don't provide ransoms to terror organizations that kill Americans and others (unless you count Iran-Contra) that is never a good idea. Bergdahl was a soldier and part of a prisoner exchange, been done many times. Sam LaHood and other foreign workers were imprisoned in Egypt for tampering in their elections, they should have served their time if convicted.

These people were never raising $100M and even if they did the money would have been used to kill and imprison more people. I feel sorry for the parents and don't blame them for trying but this is not a solution and would have just made the problem worse.
I agree with you that you should never negotiate with the terrorists. But if bolded is not negotiation, I don't know what is.

The problem I have with SOME of your left is that it doesn't matter what Democratic president did, you would always find an excuse for him including bending the truth. It is really sad.

You know admitting the truth every once in a while only makes a person stronger, not weaker.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Sadly we did already with LaHood's son in Egypt and Bergdahl.
Berghahl deserted his post.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:16 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,746,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Did his family haven $100 million? If he was freed he would go right back to Syria and get captured again...
That's actually a very good (and sobering) point.

I had a friend that was a journalist in a "like-minded" area. She was sexually abused one night and very traumatized by it. She came home for a bit, and then when right back to the same area.

Fool me once...

When she went back there, I stopped feeling sorry for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies