Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 03:11 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,579,997 times

Advertisements

Sure in America and many other "democratic" countries people are given the right to vote, but really does it matter? It seems even with people being able to vote it doesn't change the fact that just as in the past before people had the right to vote, ultimately the most mean, hateful, evil person can will end up on top. So really is there a point? I am 43 and I haven't voted since I was 20; I don't think I or anyone else's vote really matters.

I just wish our politicians would stop acting like they really care about the average person and just went ahead and crowned themselves kings/emperors/what have you, since that IS how they view themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 03:14 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Sure in America and many other "democratic" countries people are given the right to vote, but really does it matter? It seems even with people being able to vote it doesn't change the fact that just as in the past before people had the right to vote, ultimately the most mean, hateful, evil person can will end up on top. So really is there a point? I am 43 and I haven't voted since I was 20; I don't think I or anyone else's vote really matters.

I just wish our politicians would stop acting like they really care about the average person and just went ahead and crowned themselves kings/emperors/what have you, since that IS how they view themselves.
There is a point and that is that the people that end up in office are put there by the voters. They can be removed at the next election. If they remain, then voters need to look in the mirror - and voters really need to look in the mirror.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:24 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,686 times
No, there is no point in voting. "Representatives" have no obligation to represent those that elected them, essentially once in they vote how they want. And they are made even more useless because "our" government is nothing but a tool of the Central Bank at this point, so government employees or representatives actually can only do what the Central Bank allows them to do anyway.

In everything but name, our "representatives" are as much slaves to the Financiers as we are. For without the approval and financing of debt by the Money Cartel, the nation would cease to exist.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:25 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
It matters less than I'd like, but yes, it still matters. Our elected folks have many sophisticated tools to manipulate our opinions to be favorable to their remaining in office, but guess what - we have access to a lot of those same tools.

If it didn't matter who was elected, would so much effort be spent on vilifying presidents?

Old 09-15-2014, 03:26 PM

Smoke and mirrors....smoke and mirrors...none are so helplessly enslaved than those who believe themselves free...

Old 09-15-2014, 03:28 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,409,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post

If you don't feel it doesn't matter, continue to not vote. We don't need this sentiment in our political process.

Yes, voting matters. People died in this country for the ability to vote. Many blacks and women outlasted centuries of oppression for the right to vote. If you aren't happy with the political candidates, register and vote in the primaries. Most people bitching about candidates won't go vote in the primary. That is where your guy is chosen.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:33 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,463,584 times
People that think their vote doesn't matter at all either have absolved themselves of personal responsibility for their governing, think the government is a huge conspiracy, or are too extreme to ever have a chance probably shouldn't be voting in the first place.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:34 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Being a permanent resident, I can't vote, and this sort of defeatist attitude gets right up my nose. It's not a principled stance, it's surrender.

The Greeks had a word for those who refused to take part in governing the city-state, and that was "ἰδιώτης". Google it.

I'll donate time and money to see to it that there is a chance of a good man representing me. You can turn your nose up, or you can join. The "financiers" much prefer you stay out of it, though.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:38 PM

I haven't surrendered by not voting, I just don't play the stupid game of giving an institution of force my support. I am an Agorist, I am trying to change my country in a way that has a CHANCE of making something different. Voting for puppets that are accountable to none below them and having no power not given them by their financiers above them is just silly.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:44 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
I haven't surrendered by not voting, I just don't play the stupid game of giving an institution of force my support. I am an Agorist, I am trying to change my country in a way that has a CHANCE of making something different. Voting for puppets that are accountable to none below them and having no power not given them by their financiers above them is just silly.
You're right on the cusp...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies