Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 03:10 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times

Advertisements

It’s been a busy year for climate scientists, who have been trying to explain why there has been no global warming for nearly two decades.
There Are Now 52 Explanations For Pause In Global Warming | The Daily Caller
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 05:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Look how many billions of tax payer & borrowed dollars, have been spent on this scam, to line the pockets of the already rich.
*cough* Al Gore *cough*

Old 09-13-2014, 05:39 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
The globe is taking a breather.........

Old 09-13-2014, 05:46 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
It’s been a busy year for climate scientists, who have been trying to explain why there has been no global warming for nearly two decades.
There Are Now 52 Explanations For Pause In Global Warming | The Daily Caller
The fact of the matter is the oceans are HUGE heat sinks. If they are absorbing the extra energy, we can expect changes in ocean currents, salinity and oxygen content. Heat being transferred to the lower layers of the ocean is kind of scary but it is a way the planet can spread the increased heat. The question is what changes will this bring?

Time will tell if global warming has stopped or has simply been paused by some process of storing the energy. It would be nice to find out it has stopped but deeper ocean currents absorbing the heat is entirely possible. Water has a very high specific heat. If we're lucky, this will result in the ice caps growing and more heat will be reflected back into space. I just hope it doesn't change the ocean currents to our disliking.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:02 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The fact of the matter is the oceans are HUGE heat sinks. If they are absorbing the extra energy, we can expect changes in ocean currents, salinity and oxygen content. Heat being transferred to the lower layers of the ocean is kind of scary but it is a way the planet can spread the increased heat. The question is what changes will this bring?

Time will tell if global warming has stopped or has simply been paused by some process of storing the energy. It would be nice to find out it has stopped but deeper ocean currents absorbing the heat is entirely possible. Water has a very high specific heat. If we're lucky, this will result in the ice caps growing and more heat will be reflected back into space. I just hope it doesn't change the ocean currents to our disliking.

We know more about the moon, than we do the oceans.
Nice spin though.

The earth has been hotter & colder than it is now, without man made crap.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:06 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,703,406 times
Quote:

So your contention is that the rules of nature have changed? Heat rises, it doesn't sink. The heat is being transferred to lower layers.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:25 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,287 times
I'm no climatologist, but here's how I see it.

Certain natural disasters are deceptive in nature. Ever heard of the calm before the storm? The best and most obvious example is tsunami. A tsunami doesn't just come in all at once. Usually, a giant wave would come in. Then all the water would pull out just as quickly as it came in. At this point, most people would think the worst has passed. Children would run out to the beaches to see all the fish left behind. People are pouring outside to look at the devastation. Alarms would shut down. For most people, things would go back to normal. And just as no one suspects, the ocean comes in with little warning and sweeps through everything, including people.

I'm sure during the calm period, there are always doubters pointing out how calm everything is even though all the signs are there.

Anyway, regardless, I think it's already too late. The killer is in the methane gas trapped in the arctic regions. Once enough of that gas escapes it will be a spiraling effect. No point really to think about it.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:25 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,534,555 times
LOL, The Daily Caller is a tabloid magazine. To use it as proof that Global warming is not happening shows you have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:31 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
So your contention is that the rules of nature have changed? Heat rises, it doesn't sink. The heat is being transferred to lower layers.
Things aren't always as clear cut as simpletons would like to think. I'm no oceanographer or whatever, so I can't speak on this issue. I'm an engineer, and I can tell you there are things in engineering that defy common sense. And this is why we don't allow Joe Shmoe to design our bridges.

It seems like in our time more people than ever think a couple internet searches make them experts in the issue.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:40 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,507,958 times
Quote:
Time won't tell anything, only scientifically illiterate people believe that climate change is not happening.

To the thinking majority, climate change is not only scientifically proven, it is as obvious as the nose on your face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies