Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 06:36 PM

316 posts, read 435,427 times

Advertisements

Personally, as far as this whole debate is concerned, I really don't care that much. Whether or not it's legalized isn't gonna have any impact on whether or not I smoke. If it's legalized, I may have access to some strains of better quality, but quite frankly I'm happy with what I get now, since the pot smoking community isn't comprised of a bunch of gun-toting Scarface types, as most misinformed anti-pot folks would like to believe.

I never really worry about the fact that I'm breaking the law by smoking, since I almost never do it outside of the privacy of my own home. I also never have enough in my possession to constitute anything more than a summary fine if I were to be caught. During my 20's I went several years without smoking at all, and developed debilitating migraine headaches with auras. They are hereditary, and with me they became so frequent that I started questioning whether or not I should drive anymore. When the auras occur, I'm essentially blinded for about 30 minutes, as a flashing C-shaped arc of lightning slowly makes it's way across my entire field of vision. During this time, I also would experience speech disturbances, confusion, loss of motor function and numbness in my body on par with many symptoms of a stroke. Once the aura passes, the pain sets in, which feels like a hot metal spike being driven into my skull for about 8 hours. This was happening to me 3-4 times a week. I started regularly smoking again (nearly nightly, with breaks here and there) two years ago, and I haven't had an aura or the accompanying headache since. That's not to say I won't have one again, but two years without one is one hell of a track record, and the only change I made to my lifestyle was consistently having cannabanoids in my system.

So regardless of whether I'm a criminal or not because of the way I medicate myself, I'm still gonna do it. There's no way in hell that I'm gonna go back to having those auras. There are no other medicinal alternatives to prevent migraine auras, and marijuana only seems to help some sufferers. It my case, it has totally cured them for these past couple of years, so I feel incredibly lucky because I know that it doesn't work that way for everyone. I could've lived with the pain that came afterward, but the auras that preceded the pain were terrifying and debilitating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 06:44 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,368,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Believe me, I'd want nothing more than to be able to grow my own for my use, and to be done with it without the government getting involved. However; that isn't going to happen.
It could happen, if you moved to Alaska.

Quote:
Not to mention I'm sick of Americans being criminalized for consuming a plant.
If you are sick of Americans being criminalized for consuming a plant, then why do you support legalization? With the new marijuana laws that legalization requires, even more Americans will be put into prison over a stupid plant.

Quote:
You sound like a friend of mine in my neighborhood. He claims he is a republican, and is quite the pot head.
I am a constitutional conservative. The last Republican presidential candidate that I voted for was Bush 41 in 1992. I have not voted for a Republican presidential candidate since.

Quote:
He said if it was legal he'd never touch it again, as he doesn't believe the government should tax it. He said this as he had a beer in one hand, and a Marlboro in another. I politely pointed it out, and said those items are taxed, and yet here you are.
It does not matter what you do with the law, people are going to continue to grow and consume marijuana without paying taxes. It is impossible to stop every "closet grower" of marijuana in the nation, and we should not even try. Decriminalize marijuana, do not enact any new laws unless you want to see even more Americans in prison because of a weed.

I labeled both alcohol and tobacco as mistakes because a moral government should not be taxing and profiting from any of its citizen's vices. Government would then have a vested interest to see that those vices continue and increase.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:00 PM

30,175 posts, read 23,571,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Drink your stupid alcohol and laugh like a moron or your addictive sugar or your heart disease french frys. I don't care. Kill yourself slowly, I don't care. But do not affect me or anyone else with your stupidity.
I don't drink. You fail. I don't eat french fries or sugar much at all. You fail again. Don't affect people with your stupidity by using a red herring.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:51 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,693,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I am not surprised. The vast majority of the black market money on cigarettes that Hamas made came from the east coast. Asia is rife with counterfeiters of all kinds. This is the consequence of enacting laws. There will always be someone willing to violate the law. Which means that more money will have to be spent on law enforcement if any new marijuana law is enacted, and more people will end up in prison.

Incorrect. Black markets exist only to sell illegal goods. It is illegal to sell cigarettes without a federal and State tax stamp (unless you are on an Indian reservation). It is illegal to sell counterfeit goods. It is illegal to violate copyright laws. Depending on the item, you could pay a great deal more for it at a black market than it would otherwise cost, particularly if you cannot obtain the item legally. For example, a convicted felon may end up paying more for a firearm at a black market than it would normally cost someone not convicted of a felony to purchase the same firearm legally.

If it is not illegal, then there would be no need for black markets.

Caveat emptor.

my point is it doesn't matter whether something is legal or illegal, its about the price and making a profit, if a product is sold at a low price, basically lower than a black market could make a profit their will be no black market for that product.. so it doesn't matter if weed is legal or illegal their will always be room for the black market as long as the price is to high.. if the price of weed is so cheap the black market will fade away as the price drops..

I don't see a black market for coca cola, at 25 cents a can their is no room for a black market to make a profit making said product, and that goes for most products... decriminalizing weed is the making of a total black market.. its better than the status quo but still sucks as a solution, at least with legal weed it creates legitimate jobs and revenue with less crime and corruption.. I would rather everybody to be able to grow as much as they need for what ever purpose but that would never happen, the gov wants its share and that's that..

Old 09-17-2014, 08:55 PM

31,288 posts, read 20,652,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Wow. Another "small government conservative" who is against freedom and personal responsibility.
Some of us conservatives think all drugs should be legal.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:57 PM

31,288 posts, read 20,652,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So have I. My brother lived in Holland. But of course, a trip to Holland does not make you an expert of their laws, you'd have to read about them, or have someone tell you. If you rented a car there, they would have told you to never leave any valuables in your car. Theft and break ins in Amsterdam are out of control.
Lies, lies and dam lies.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:06 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,693,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Lies, lies and dam lies.

if you left valuables visibly down here in the usvi in your car they would disappear mighty quickly and that goes for most places.. anybody leaving valuables in plain sight is a moron no matter where you live..

Old 09-17-2014, 09:15 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,906,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
a large portion of cigarettes sold in new York are from the black now, and what about all the counterfeit merchandise sold around the world from cd's watches, guitars, clothing, jewelry etc.. the list is endless...

its all about price not whether something is legal or not.. if the price of a particular product is to high the black market will step in. period...

I bought a pair of levis jeans that looked real in every way, but when I went to use them a year later they were falling a part, I mean totally disintegrating!! and I never wore them not once ,they were from a black market. actually its a good thing I didn't wear them? who the hell knows what kind of toxic chemicals were used in the making of those jeans..

its all about price..
The market issues are part of it, however, decriminalization versus legalization is also an important part of the discussion. Up until recently it is my understanding that most places have decriminalized.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:28 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,906,838 times
Quote:
What mistakes? Decriminalization is a band aid, and does not mean it's legal. Furthermore it still keeps the black market in play, as they would be the primary source of distribution. When prohibition of alcohol ended, so did the organized crime surrounding it. If you have no issues cannabis use, and people having it, then why oppose legalization?
Understanding the implications is important it would seem. Most places to date have decriminalized, it is my understanding, not legalized. Seems important to think about. Cannabis seems unique because it is being referenced as a drug or substance, when in actuality it is a naturally growing plant. Monsanto appears to be looking into this area. Also keep in mind that the government currently holds patents on cannibinoids. IP is tremendously important.

Cannabidiol
quote:
Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of at least 60 active cannabinoids identified in cannabis.[4] It is a major phytocannabinoid, accounting for up to 40% of the plant's extract.

U.S. Government owns the patent on cannabis cures

Marijuana News -- ScienceDaily

legalize marijuana | REALITY BLOG
quote:
If a drug is legal, that means it is only available with a prescription. So what this really means is that a legal drug available by prescription only, is actually illegal without a prescription.
In fact, by making marijuana a legalized (or controlled) substance, you are taking all of the power of manufacturing and distribution away from the people, and giving the government and pharmaceutical corporations complete control over the growth and sale of this beautiful plant.
Is a sunflower plant legal or illegal? How about a rose? A maple tree? A dandelion? A garden full of nutritious fruits and vegetables?

Old 09-17-2014, 09:47 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,223,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
In fact, by making marijuana a legalized (or controlled) substance, you are taking all of the power of manufacturing and distribution away from the people, and giving the government and pharmaceutical corporations complete control over the growth and sale of this beautiful plant.
Is a sunflower plant legal or illegal? How about a rose? A maple tree? A dandelion? A garden full of nutritious fruits and vegetables?
Those are all legal. I can go to a nursery and buy all of those. I can buy cigars, cigarettes, and alcohol too. Soon I will have the option to buy MJ since my state legalized it. However, MJ still remains illegal at the federal level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies