Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:02 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
^^^^^ Hey finn, care to answer this?

At any rate, is your ex that vindictive that she would try pull that? Hey, if your kids are safe, and well cared for, then who cares if you toke?
I don't think she is, but one thing I learned from the art of war, learn your own weaknesses, and eliminate them before any potential enemy may use them against you.

The judge can care, per my lawyer, it is really up to the discretion of the judge in the case in my state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 07:04 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
That is true. Arresting and prosecuting someone for possessing marijuana is as stupid and inane as arresting and prosecuting someone for possessing dandelions, crab grass, or a head of lettuce.

I agree. But it is an easy pay day for LE and keeps the profits rolling to the Prison Industrial Complex.

If you would rather not have the government involved then stop advocating for the legalization of marijuana. The only way to get government out of criminalizing marijuana is by advocating for decriminalization.

Like in Alaska, the State legislature or the State courts should decide what constitutes "personal use" and decriminalize it. Allow those who want to grow, possess, and use a limited amount (for example, 25 growing plants should be more than sufficient for any individual) without penalty or taxation. "Personal use" would also mean that selling or buying marijuana, or growing and possessing more than the allotted number of plants would still be illegal, because that would constitute "commercial use."

I wish it really was that simple.

If you live anywhere near any of the Great Lakes, then your winters are far colder and your summers are far hotter than mine.

Close to Cleveland. This past winter was the coldest it's been in 20 years, and this summer absolutely sucked. We've been stuck in spring, and heading toward fall. I've been hearing that this winter is supposed to be another bad one. So much for global warming, huh? (I know... a whole 'nother topic).

When I attended the University of Minnesota in St. Paul I recall winters that would regularly drop to -20°F for weeks at a time and summers with 90°F and 90% humidity. Winters where I live in Alaska are between +10°F and +30°F, with only a few days where it drops below 0°F. Summers where I live in Alaska range from 60°F to 80°F, with very little humidity.

I don't mind the humidity and the warmth. Not one bit.

Overall, I would place the Matanuska-Susitna Valley in Alaska in the same winter temperature range as Omaha, Nebraska. With slightly more snow during the winter.

I think you are forgetting just how big Alaska is. The climate varies considerably, depending on your location.
Yeah, I've heard places around Juneau are a bit more moderated due to proximity to the ocean.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:15 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Being healthy in America is already impossible. They might as well lift all bans on consumption of all drugs, they've already lifted those bans on the crap we eat. You can put what ever you want in our food and sell it, regardless of known negative side effects.
Which is why I, and others like me, hunt and fish and grow gardens or harvest wild plants and berries.

I know what is in the ptarmigan or caribou I shoot because I know what they eat. I know the fiddle-head ferns and wild raspberries I pick have not been sprayed by some Monsanto manufactured chemical. I cannot say the same thing about the food I buy at grocery stores.

It has less to do with health and more to do with trust, or rather the lack of it. I do not trust corporations or the government to tell me the truth about the contents of the food I buy. Therefore, I seek non-corporate means to obtain my food whenever possible.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I've heard places around Juneau are a bit more moderated due to proximity to the ocean.
Alaska is proof that it could be that simple. If Alaska can decriminalize marijuana for personal use 40 years ago, then it is certainly possible for other States to follow suit today.

Juneau's winter and summer temperatures are not much different from Seattle, WA, slightly cooler. However, Juneau is also in a temperate rainforest. Which means that you can expect 50+ inches of precipitation per year. If you get more than one sunny day per month in Juneau count yourself fortunate. The Mat-Su Valley averages about 13 inches of precipitation per year, half of that in the form of snow. I would rather be cold and dry than warm and wet.

Fairbanks gets really warm summers, like Minnesota. They range from 75°F to 95°F during the summer, with lots of humidity. The Interior of Alaska also has the most extreme cold weather during the winter, regularly dropping from -40°F to -60°F. A -20°F day during a Fairbanks winter could feel like a short-sleeve day. That is too extreme for my tastes.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Alaska is proof that it could be that simple. If Alaska can decriminalize marijuana for personal use 40 years ago, then it is certainly possible for other States to follow suit today.

It should be, but maybe differences in population fall into play. For example, Alaska's population is a shade of 735,000, and ranks 47th, whereas Ohio's population stands just over 11.5 million, and ranks 7th in population. Heck the county seat for Cleveland.. Cuyahoga County alone has over 1.3 million people. Perhaps it works in Alaska, because the feds think "eh what the hell, nobody lives up there anyway, let them have their weed if they can grow it up there, LOL!" I mean, I understand how simple it could be, and I for one hate a ton of bureacracy and red tape be it in government or in the workforce. But, the goverment especially in a state as large as Ohio, and other largely populated states is going to want a cut of that revenue, because there is a lot of money to be made. Is it wrong? Absolutely. We're overtaxed, and overregulated in this country as it is!

Juneau's winter and summer temperatures are not much different from Seattle, WA, slightly cooler. However, Juneau is also in a temperate rainforest. Which means that you can expect 50+ inches of precipitation per year. If you get more than one sunny day per month in Juneau count yourself fortunate. The Mat-Su Valley averages about 13 inches of precipitation per year, half of that in the form of snow. I would rather be cold and dry than warm and wet.

I'm the opposite. I'd rather have warm and muggy, than cold and dry. On the other hand, cold and dry is better than cold and damp!

Fairbanks gets really warm summers, like Minnesota. They range from 75°F to 95°F during the summer, with lots of humidity. The Interior of Alaska also has the most extreme cold weather during the winter, regularly dropping from -40°F to -60°F. A -20°F day during a Fairbanks winter could feel like a short-sleeve day. That is too extreme for my tastes.
50 degrees here in January is t-shirt weather. We had a couple of neighbors across the way that had moved here from Montana. As cold as it was this past winter, he was always wearing short. He said that this was nothing compared to the cold they got in Montana.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:06 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
If a drug is legal, that means it is only available with a prescription. So what this really means is that a legal drug available by prescription only, is actually illegal without a prescription.
In fact, by making marijuana a legalized (or controlled) substance, you are taking all of the power of manufacturing and distribution away from the people, and giving the government and pharmaceutical corporations complete control over the growth and sale of this beautiful plant.
Is a sunflower plant legal or illegal? How about a rose? A maple tree? A dandelion? A garden full of nutritious fruits and vegetables?
So let's not get hung up on semantics. The government should have no control over pot. So yes, it should be just like a rose or a tomato plant.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:17 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
and this is coming from someone who was initially pro legalization, but was unaware of what was going on in washington.

my mom was there a few weeks ago(sister getting married) and she told me they advertise it constantly on television.

she said my cousins would sit inside the bathroom all day and smoke pot, and that even at the wedding there was an area for them to smoke.

she even took a hit herself(i think the first time in her life) and didn't like it, made her feel sick.

i think in the end this is going to come back and bite us.

We have the freedom to be drunks and drink all day and night
The freedom to smoke pot all day and all night is another way to entertain themselves.

If your stupid and think getting high all day and etc is now the thing to do because its legal its a FAD. Soon it will be not as exciting and once its not. They will come back to reality.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
50 degrees here in January is t-shirt weather. We had a couple of neighbors across the way that had moved here from Montana. As cold as it was this past winter, he was always wearing short. He said that this was nothing compared to the cold they got in Montana.
You got us beat. It only reached +48°F in Anchorage this past January.

Anchorage January Weather 2014 - AccuWeather Forecast for AK 99501

You gotta love that Global Warming.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:50 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,829 times
I am starting to think that marijuana will be legal before this thread fades away... LOL

Old 09-18-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
You got us beat. It only reached +48°F in Anchorage this past January.

Anchorage January Weather 2014 - AccuWeather Forecast for AK 99501

You gotta love that Global Warming.

I don't believe we sniffed 50 degrees until March this year. I'm telling ya, it was cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies