Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 02:46 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times

Advertisements

Shouldn't be a surprise. Interesting maps.
Ebola and West Africa’s Offshore Oil

quote:
Now, the attention is shifting to East Africa. Recent discoveries in Mozambique, Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda have turned the focus on the region. Massive investments have followed the discoveries in the region too.
Oil and Gas independent companies have spent US$200 million over the past 4 years acquiring assets in some of West Africa’s less explored countries, notably, The Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Liberia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 02:53 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,391 times
In the long term it would be better to build 10-20 massive coal fired power plants throughout the region. Give them cheap power and many of these type of problems will go away.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:47 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
In the long term it would be better to build 10-20 massive coal fired power plants throughout the region. Give them cheap power and many of these type of problems will go away.
We can't just build 20 Massive Coal Plants in a region with little to no infastrucre to build that up would take a while and add that is region is in the middle of a massive Ebola pandemic

Old 10-15-2014, 12:14 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
I know this is an older thread but this is near and dear to my heart and I have been away from my computer for several days. I am incensed (sp) about using the military for this ebola outbreak and going it alone. We now know that it is easier to catch ebola than what was thought, re two nurses in Dallas. Other doctors are saying there is a good chance it can mutate into becoming an airborne virus and you are contagious before symtoms show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
...snipped.... If I were in the military, I would resign immediately until this buffoon is out of office.
You can't just resign, can you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah..sort of like sending them to find non-existent WMD and 4500 of them end up dead.
Haven't they now found or it is coming out more prominently that soldiers were exposed to chemical warfare in Iraq ? They (DOD) admitted it in I think 2006 (?) and then covered it up. Sarin gas, I think was one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I agree, but this is just a drop in the bucket. Any president will use the military not for America's interests but for Israel's. In our political system you cannot get far without the support of AIPAC.
Why, oh why, does it always have to be about Israel ? You would think humans could evolve past some of this tribal racism through education and higher intelligience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
.....snipped....
Since the ebola virus is passed only through human contact, just building field showers and providing soap could really help.
Not now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
3K possible more vectors for bringing Ebola to the US.
....snipped....
This is what I am really worried about. It's insane to send the military over there in sthe midst of germs everywhere and then send them back to the US. How are they going to monitor all of them should symtoms start showing up ? It's crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Of all the wastes of the use of the US military, this has to be near the top. Why in the hell is this the responsibility of the US in any way or form? This is Africa's problem, we should stay the hell out. Members of the US military sign up to protect and defend their country, not to be nursemaids. Worse, we are putting them in a position to catch a horrible disease that usually leads to a particularly horrific death. Even more so we put the citizens of this country at risk when these soldiers come home after being exposed to the disease.

....snipped....

Hell, if we for some stupid reason send Americans there, why don't we use the Peace Corps? We spend millions supporting them and they signed up to "help people", not to defend their country. Seems much more appropriate.
Pretty well sums it up in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Really? I thought it was an excuse for Obama to get other crises out of the news cycle, and to appear to be on top of things. I don't understand how the smartest president evah figures military troops can fight a virus.
I had wondered about this too. He is just too slick for words.

Clinton refused to go over there and get involved in the Rwanda crisis, that it was their problem. It was a bloodbath and a horrible situation. Now, I have mixed emotions with what is happening with the Kurds so, I dont know what the answer may be. I may need to rethink my feelings and hidden biases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I nominate Sgt. Bergdahl to lead this public relations stunt by Obama. And may Bergdahl be front and center in the American Ebola troop's efforts.
Best post of all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
ISIS actually poses a threat to the US, however overstated it is. Ebola? The worst threat it poses is by us being there, exposing Americans to it and bringing it home. ...snipped.....
Again, this is it. And, I have a son and many other relatives who are military.

Has there been any other news about this ? I can't find any. I am going to email every commentator that I can find the name for and ask aabout this.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:38 PM

5,340 posts, read 4,428,220 times
Just a reminder:

Please stay on topic here. Any discussion about ebola other than the military getting involved will be deleted and the thread will be closed.

Thank you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:06 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I know this is an older thread but this is near and dear to my heart and I have been away from my computer for several days. I am incensed (sp) about using the military for this ebola outbreak and going it alone. We now know that it is easier to catch ebola than what was thought, re two nurses in Dallas. Other doctors are saying there is a good chance it can mutate into becoming an airborne virus and you are contagious before symtoms show up.
My eyes....the red...

Why are you incensed? What exactly do you think the military will be doing? The OP indicates that the military's ability to coordinate and bring in supplies is the primary thing.

Quote:
You can't just resign, can you ?
LOL. No. Well yes, but you will most likely go to prison first.....
Quote:
This is what I am really worried about. It's insane to send the military over there in sthe midst of germs everywhere and then send them back to the US. How are they going to monitor all of them should symtoms start showing up ? It's crazy.
Our military are not idiots. Most likely anyone coming back will be stuck in a camp in the middle of nowhere for a month or so.
Quote:
Again, this is it. And, I have a son and many other relatives who are military.
Dont you ever talk to your son? How could you even ask if people could just resign if your son is in the military? Why do you assume that people like your son will foolishly expose others to Ebola? You're worrying far too much.

Quote:
Has there been any other news about this ? I can't find any. I am going to email every commentator that I can find the name for and ask aabout this.
Why? Im sure everyone you will email is familiar with this.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:40 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
More "delivering pizza" instead of killing our enemies. If I were in the military, I would resign immediately until this buffoon is out of office.
What the heck are you talking about? Outside of resigning your commission as an officer (once your commitment is over) you cannot resign in the military, especially immediately.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:44 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
My eyes....the red...

1)Why are you incensed? What exactly do you think the military will be doing? The OP indicates that the military's ability to coordinate and bring in supplies is the primary thing.

2)LOL. No. Well yes, but you will most likely go to prison first.....
Our military are not idiots. Most likely anyone coming back will be stuck in a camp in the middle of nowhere for a month or so.

3)Dont you ever talk to your son? How could you even ask if people could just resign if your son is in the military? Why do you assume that people like your son will foolishly expose others to Ebola? You're worrying far too much.

4)Why? Im sure everyone you will email is familiar with this.
Originally we were told they would be exposed to the virus then they backed down from that. But I think it would be obvious they can't completely control that many people.

I am very familiar with the military in general. My son is a warrant officer and I have 2 dead brothers that were retired military. But I also know that the military does what it is told to do.

Yes, I do occasionally talk to my 52 year old son, the warrant officer, who doesn't live close to me, travels a lot in his military duties and has, getting close to, 30 years in the military. Additionally, we are not particularly close.

I will not email commentators to make them aware of the military action but to ask why we are not hearing more about it, what it entails, the parameters of their duties, etc. ? I am not an idiot either.

I just think we are taking a big risk with the lives of those young men and women serving their country and the lives of the American people if they are not thoroughly vetted (if that is the proper word) before reentering the USA, for the sake of the publics health. I understand the epidemic should be stopped at the source and I agree but, why so many of our military and why not a joint task force with other countries equally sending their young men and women and $'s.

We were assured everything was under control at Dallas and points prior to his hospitalization. Agreed ?

(Numbering was mine)

Old 10-15-2014, 07:00 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Joining the military is not a risk free occupation. If your son travels there I hope he comes back safe and sound.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:26 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
STAY OUT of Africa, let the intelligent and resourceful people of that continent deal with the problem.

And keep a ban on ALL travel from Africa, into the USA, until the Ebola outbreak is under control. If you go to Africa.....you do a mandatory 30 days in quarantine when you come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies