Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 06:42 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,639,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post

You can rehabilitate someone but you can not cure this disease.
You're not going to rehabilitate anyone by helping them continue their drug habit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Thats weird, I know that some of you are for legalization of marijuana but you don't support needle exchange to prevent transmission of diseases? Its sounds a little hypocritical, would you guys explain why and why not? Would not a decrease in crime (legalization of marijuana) and a decrease in health care costs (needle exchange) be a good thing? Personally, I don't really care that much about either issue, but I find it odd that you are for one thing and against another which seems very similar to me...
Sure, I'd back legalization and decriminalization of drugs. The difference is, I'm not funding anyone's habit if drugs are legalized. It's their choice. I don't care if my neighbor smokes weed, but I'm not about to spend my tax dollars on roach clips and bongs for him.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I think people who drink and drive should be given crash helmets.
Exactly! That's how asinine this whole idea is!

Let's use tax dollars to give smokers those little plastic tips for their cigarettes, since they help filter out the tar. Or hand out free drinking glasses to alcoholics, so they don't have to drink after someone else who may be infectious. I am just beyond stupefied that anyone thinks this is a good idea, let alone a moral one. You want to help these people, and stop the spread of disease? Get them into a rehab program. THAT, I'll gladly pay for. But to enable their drug habit? Well, I'll let my favorite American have the final word:

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-28-2007, 11:51 AM

8,438 posts, read 12,113,860 times
I think the families of Ryan White and Arthur Ashe would favor free needle exchanges. This is not about supporting druggies or their lifestyle -- it is about protecting our nation's national health from an indiscriminate killer.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:18 PM

2,434 posts, read 6,658,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Better to actually treat them than to enable their habit. I mean, is that going to be the rationale here? We should give them needles because it's cheaper to let them continue their drug habit? Wow, talk about compassion ...
Putting aside the enabling angle for a second, and the fact that a needle exchange program can save money, reduce the spread of AIDS, hepatitis, and a number of other diseases that can be spread by blood, what about the innocent family members that are affected?

What happens when a drug addict uses an infected needle, catches AIDS, then spreads the disease to his pregnant wife through sex? Keep in mind, many victims of AIDS never use IV drugs. They just had sex with someone who had sex with someone who did use a dirty needle. We all have friends or relatives who are active in the bar scene. It's part of being young in this country. Bars are a good place to meet members of the opposite sex and frequently when alcohol is being used better judgment sometimes goes out the window. That means every time a prophylactic breaks or isn't used properly someone has unprotected sex someone's innocent friend or relative can get AIDS and pass it on then die.

I say just give them the ten cent needle. It can save a lot of innocent people a lot of pain and suffering.

Economics alone makes it imperative that we use needle exchange programs. If one person who's infected spreads the disease to only a few people, the result will be at least a million dollars in medical bills. This expense is passed on to the rest of us in the form of higher medical costs and premiums.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,540 times
Agreed!
Late post to an old topic, but the problem is the spread of diseases!!
You can buy a bong at a store, glasses to drink beer at a store, etc...
You cannot, however, go to a pharmacy and buy clean syringes w/out a
prescription. I agree people with the disease of active drug addiction and alcoholism
are classified as people who are unmanagiable and therefore make bad choices.
Rehabilitation is a must but until those that want help actually get an availiable bed;
needle exchange is a good idea!

Old 10-21-2008, 09:56 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
I have no problem buying needles over the counter in Michigan and Texas. They cost 15-cents each at WalMart 1-cc 31-gauge. Nobody asks for a prescription, nor do they ask what they are for. (I require cyanocobalamin every two weeks.)

Old 10-21-2008, 10:31 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,895,453 times
I'd support a needle exchange as long as each one came with enough heroin (or whatever) to overdose the user. :P

Old 04-29-2009, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,255 times
WOWWWWW sushi-biotch thats soooo rediculous, most people who do drugs that involve needles dont exactly go around telling people, therefor im POSITIVE there are at least 3 people you talk to frequently that do drugs (whether it calls for tinfoil, a syringe, a pizo, or just a glass of water to chase down their kids ADHD medicine) so maybe you should bite the big one and shove that smiley up your ass because if it were up to you hundreds of thousands of good loving people would be DEAD- gah get a clue

Old 04-30-2009, 12:41 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,506,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiter View Post
WOWWWWW sushi-biotch thats soooo rediculous, most people who do drugs that involve needles dont exactly go around telling people, therefor im POSITIVE there are at least 3 people you talk to frequently that do drugs (whether it calls for tinfoil, a syringe, a pizo, or just a glass of water to chase down their kids ADHD medicine) so maybe you should bite the big one and shove that smiley up your ass because if it were up to you hundreds of thousands of good loving people would be DEAD- gah get a clue
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sushi-Nazi needs to move into the twenty-first century.

First, let's kill off all the druggies. Then maybe we can start working on gays, dems, libs, Californians, those sandal wearing hippie treehuggers in the Northwest. Then maybe we ought to start on people of color, the poor, the disabled, the elderly.

Disgusting. Sushi, are you a Bilderberger, by any chance? Anyone for a bit of New World Order here? If you aren't invincible, beware, because they're eventually going to start looking in your direction.

Sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies