Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 02:38 PM

101 posts, read 254,483 times

Advertisements

Very bad news. I'm sorry for the lady and her family.

What does it mean for us in America? I think we will see more instability in Pakistan, and it will lead to Musharraf being overthrown. I am sure he already has a numbered account set up in the Cayman islands, he will take the next flight out when needed. Then, there will be two possibilities:

The army takes over: The guy who took over from Musharraf, is a hardliner and known to be close to Islamists. He is also a known India hater. To divert attention from internal problems, he will probably declare war on India. This makes the situation very volatile as both countries have nukes.

Islamists take over: Since those guys don't have a central command like the army, they will get Balkanised (or should I say Talibanised) very soon. Expect a taliban-like structure of government with Sharia law. They will probably declare war on the west but start with India. They will not have complete control over the country, the army (or what is left of it) will control the rest.

In either case, it is bad news as Pakistan is the only Islamic country in the world with Nukes. There is a possibility that the Indians will land flash troops to take over the nukes if Pakistan disintegrates, or that China will intervene, but if outsiders leave Pakistan alone, it will probably become the most dangerous state on earth.

Sigh, just when I was starting to look forward to Ron Paul abolishing the military, the federal reserve, the IRS and the Jehovah's witness Sunday patrol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 02:54 PM

68,297 posts, read 54,124,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normalguy View Post

In either case, it is bad news as Pakistan is the only Islamic country in the world with Nukes. There is a possibility that the Indians will land flash troops to take over the nukes if Pakistan disintegrates, or that China will intervene, but if outsiders leave Pakistan alone, it will probably become the most dangerous state on earth.

I know they have nukes but that's only half the equation. Do we have good intel on what they have for a delivery system(s)?

Old 12-27-2007, 02:58 PM

Location: I live in Ronan, MT but am stationed in Virginia Beach
290 posts, read 688,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I wonder if Pakistanis are finally going to wake up to the threat that al-Qaeda poses?
You have to realize that al-Qaaeda only grew when we went after them.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:07 PM

101 posts, read 254,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I know they have nukes but that's only half the equation. Do we have good intel on what they have for a delivery system(s)?
Here is a link to what they have that can fall into rogue hands:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakista...ss_destruction

I think for a country of that size, delivery equals delivery to India which would only require a short range ballistic missile. I am more worried about the local pizza style delivery of nukes in case they fall in the wrong hands.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:18 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,070,632 times
I was watching the news bulletins and I guess,being an American, some of the mentality here escapes me. Why are her supporters BURNING gov't buildings, hospitals, etc? Would she have wanted that?

As for how scary this is, I have three words:

They have nukes.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:42 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,054,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
I was watching the news bulletins and I guess,being an American, some of the mentality here escapes me. Why are her supporters BURNING gov't buildings, hospitals, etc? Would she have wanted that?
After Martin Luther King was assinated in the US, there were alot of riots all over the US, including one severe one in DC that crippled the economy there for a long time.

It is a similar situation, I'm sure people in Pakistan are angry. The current government in Pakistan isn't exactly a friend to extremists but it also isn't exactly democratic (it is quite repressive) and I'm sure some people wil blame them for Bhutto's death. CNN just releaed a note left by Bhutto which blames Musharraf for security failures.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:03 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,689,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Ghauri-1 &2 1100-2000 km range 700 kg payload
Shaheen-2 2400-2500 km 1000 kg
Ghauri-3 3000km payload unknown

They can rock anywhere in the midesat includeing Isreal!!!!!!!!
http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Paki...akArsenal.html

Old 12-27-2007, 07:06 PM

68,297 posts, read 54,124,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Ghauri-1 &2 1100-2000 km range 700 kg payload
Shaheen-2 2400-2500 km 1000 kg
Ghauri-3 3000km payload unknown

They can rock anywhere in the midesat includeing Isreal!!!!!!!!
http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Paki...akArsenal.html

Makes me wish I had a little more faith in our foreign-policy makers

Old 12-27-2007, 07:29 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,276,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Taliban and Al queda

no doubt
Oh sure, it was the men in the caves. so convenient....

Old 12-27-2007, 08:29 PM

1,409 posts, read 4,853,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I wonder if Pakistanis are finally going to wake up to the threat that al-Qaeda poses?
Let's hope so! Better late than never...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies