Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 09:03 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Is it not Christians that got the schools to open their doors to religion being allowed, on what grounds could the protest, a Double Standard perhaps? Your comments on turning the other cheek have nothing to do with the situation. No one is attacking Christians they are simply using the rules the Christians got put in place. One cannot whine about what comes out of Pandora's box when they were warned before hand what could happen if they open it.
Were they warned? Or do Christians think they were to be the only 'true' religion in America? I think until our President said, " we are not just a Christian nation" this is what opened the doors to other faiths. Until then, most people did believe we were a Christian nation.

Christians tend to stand aside or get angry when confronted in schools. The best thing they can do is be right beside this group and present their side. I see why schools really don't need more religion.....of any kind.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:10 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Actually man is more spirit than flesh.. we have a soul .. we make choices... the spirit of God brings forth good fruit, the spirit of Satan bad fruit... one reaps what they sow.. the Bible is about man and his relationship with God and satan.. all good things come from God, Satan comes to kill , steal and destroy mankind.

We have a choice of who we follow. To know the spiritual realm is wisdom. To not know it is death. We have a choice today. Who we will follow. We are not just flesh beings. To walk without the wisdom of God , man is opened to the destroyer . God is the protector of man and Satan the destroyer.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:37 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Actually man is more spirit than flesh.. we have a soul .. we make choices... the spirit of God brings forth good fruit, the spirit of Satan bad fruit... one reaps what they sow.. the Bible is about man and his relationship with God and satan.. all good things come from God, Satan comes to kill , steal and destroy mankind.

We have a choice of who we follow. To know the spiritual realm is wisdom. To not know it is death. We have a choice today. Who we will follow. We are not just flesh beings. To walk without the wisdom of God , man is opened to the destroyer . God is the protector of man and Satan the destroyer.
Really? A thread about the the legal status of proselytizing in schools, and the legal status of one religion over another, has descended into an opportunity for Christians to proselytize, push their brand of religion on this forum, and accuse non believers of being vile scum of the earth. Some Christians sure are pushy. Good thing most jurisdictions have laws to prevent their intrusions.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:50 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Quote:

What wisdom of God? Is he curing cancer?

Old 09-17-2014, 10:07 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
What wisdom of God? Is he curing cancer?
Some posters here are confused on the topic. It's not whether their religion is right or wrong but whether religious groups should be allowed to hand out religious materials in public schools, and if that right should only apply to their religion. The more they post their bible verses, and call non believing posters evil, the more they damage their cause.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:11 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Were they warned? Or do Christians think they were to be the only 'true' religion in America? I think until our President said, " we are not just a Christian nation" this is what opened the doors to other faiths. Until then, most people did believe we were a Christian nation.

Christians tend to stand aside or get angry when confronted in schools. The best thing they can do is be right beside this group and present their side. I see why schools really don't need more religion.....of any kind.
Yes, people have warned Christians that want religion allowed in the schools that to allow one would require that ALL religions would have to be allowed, these has been repeated so many times one would have to have been living in a cave all their life to not have heard the warning. Some Christians believe such, even though each religion seems to make the claim they are the only true religion and, yes, some take that a step further and make the claim that since the majority of those that originally colonized the Americas were Christians then some how that equates to this being a Christian Nation. I do not buy that other than in the generalization that since most Americans consider themselves to be Christians one could refer to this Nation as a Christian Nation, BUT unlike some Nations that are theocracies such as Iran are Nations Government is considered a Secular Government meaning they do not and cannot favor one religion over any others. The President does not have to state that we are not a Christian Nation, the Founders saw to that by separating the Government from any specific religion.

I want the public schools to do what they are intended to do educate our children, in my opinion and the laws of the land religion should be taught in the places of worship of the religion they practice and in the home. I have no issue with a child expressing their faith through prayer or the wearing of religious symbols so long as they are not disruptive or violate other school rules. What I do have a major issue with is the school conducting prayers of any kind, teaching religion unless it is in the context of studying religions of the world and they impact on society, teachers bringing their own beliefs into the classroom and attempting to sway other peoples children to their faith or people of a faith trying to convert other children on schools grounds. Meaning I am a firm believer in separation of church and state, if someone wants their child taught religious beliefs, in specific their beliefs, then they need to send their children to a religious school where that is acceptable.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:12 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:

Has zero to do with the topic of the thread. Thanks for participating

Old 09-17-2014, 12:21 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post

So you will argue that it is your viewpoint and only your viewpoint that should be presented in the public sphere?

Old 09-17-2014, 01:45 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:

The bottom line that you wanna ignore is that YOUR religion created Satan and gave him the powers of a deity.

Supposedly, Jesus is God...and he was able to offer Jesus "all the kingdoms of the world"....that makes him a deity if your own God can be offered HIS OWN CREATION by someone he created himself. (most ridiculous logic ever)

Again, do you folks even know what you believe in?

Old 09-17-2014, 02:26 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
We had the GIDEONS come to our school in Texas, in about the 6th grade, and hand out Bibles. They did preface the presentation by saying that "If anyone does not want one, or if you think your parents would not want you to have one, then do not feel pressured to take one."
If they can come in and offer Bibles, then the local Muslim group can offer free Korans and the Satanists can offer free literature. Although Anton LeVay's book would not count as anything of literary significance, and probably won't find a place on the syllabus of any great literature class. Freedom of religion in America does extend to everyone.

I have a Buddha statue out in my garden. Some Fundies I know do not like it, but in America, we have the right to display whatever religious statues we choose. Especially on our own private property.
If schools are going to allow this, and I personally wish they would focus on academics instead, then it has to be fair to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies