Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:53 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Even though I am a very serious Christian, I will agree with the OP on their basic premise. Years ago there was more push from Christians to allow prayer in public schools. I was totally against it and still am. Who then controls who is prayed to and what is said in the prayer. We have far to diverse a population to allow any religious influences in the public school anymore.
That is the problem.. God has been kicked out of the schools..

When I was a child we were allowed to read scripture each day in early grade public school. The teacher would pick someone each day to pick a verse that was typed on file cards to read out loud.

It harmed no one but did much good. It was the only reference to God that many of us had.. It was the right thing to do. Today there is the spirit of anti-Christ in the world as the bible said there would be.

Many children feed on the wrong things in this life as moral decay is everywhere. Today the tv is spewing raunchy entertainment , taking about sexual materials in the name of educating the public.. as if that makes it right. There are no moral standards today because the kids are morally deprived.

Once God destroyed man because their thoughts were continuously evil with no moral standards at all. We are headed there today. Man has set themselves up as God , just as satan did.. wanting to be higher than God.. this world is corrupt and it looks like it will continue to get worse.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:07 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Well if it's more corrupt, why not destroy it now?
Man will destroy themselves . Revelation speaks of the end days when man will destroy each other on a great scale unlike any other time in history. It is called the Great Tribulation.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:04 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Man will destroy themselves . Revelation speaks of the end days when man will destroy each other on a great scale unlike any other time in history. It is called the Great Tribulation.
Yeup, well almost, there will be survivors, just not many.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:11 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:

When I was a child we were allowed to read scripture each day in early grade public school. The teacher would pick someone each day to pick a verse that was typed on file cards to read out loud.

It harmed no one but did much good. It was the only reference to God that many of us had.. It was the right thing to do. Today there is the spirit of anti-Christ in the world as the bible said there would be.

Many children feed on the wrong things in this life as moral decay is everywhere. Today the tv is spewing raunchy entertainment , taking about sexual materials in the name of educating the public.. as if that makes it right. There are no moral standards today because the kids are morally deprived.

Once God destroyed man because their thoughts were continuously evil with no moral standards at all. We are headed there today. Man has set themselves up as God , just as satan did.. wanting to be higher than God.. this world is corrupt and it looks like it will continue to get worse.
And how would you feel if those verses were not from YOUR religious book?

Now, how do you think those students and parents that are not from your religion feel when they have to read from YOUR religious book?

If you want your religion taught, teach it to your kids at home and let other parents teach their kids what they want. OR open the doors to all religions being taught in your kids school.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:47 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
Quote:
Your bible does not mean anything to me and to many people, it does not belong in school unless it is bible school or a church run school. It does not belong in public school. And as others have said, why your bible and your beliefs and not others? Are you that arrogant and brainwashed that you believe your bible and beliefs alone are valid? If you cannot leave your bible and beliefs out of this and do not stop the quoting of scriptures, then this thread will be SHUT DOWN.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:33 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:

In this melting pot known as America, there are too many different belief systems.

When I was in school, we never did this. However; we had moments of silence, as well as references to God from time to time. Nobody was ever offended by mentioning of God. At least not like today.

I'm with you in the sense that there is nothing wrong with having a little God in your life. The problem is that His word tends to get twisted, as Man is not perfect, and therefore tends to twist His words to suit his agenda in using it as an excuse to discriminate against people, and kill in His name. That is what turns a lot of people off from religion.

It is up to the parents to filter what their children watch, and explain what is right and wrong. The tv should not play the role as parent. I tell my son do not believe everything you see or hear on tv or on the radio, because it isn't real. Yes even the news. Why? Because as well all know even the media has a spin.

A lot of the corruption is coming from those who run the world. Unfortunately, a lot of us get sucked in by it. Do I believe in Revelations? Yep. I just don't know when it's going to happen. Christ even said that we wouldn't know the day or the hour. At any rate, all you can do is live your life by your own morals, and get your own self right with the man upstairs.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:35 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And how would you feel if those verses were not from YOUR religious book?

Now, how do you think those students and parents that are not from your religion feel when they have to read from YOUR religious book?

If you want your religion taught, teach it to your kids at home and let other parents teach their kids what they want. OR open the doors to all religions being taught in your kids school.

I honestly have no issue with this. Don't preach it, but teach it from a historical perspective. It may shed some light as to why different cultures have different beliefs, and we may in fact learn a little more about ourselves.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:41 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
no, god has not been kicked out of the schools. (Side note - if god really is omnipotent, etc, it is absurd to imagine that god could be kicked out of anywhere. It's an odd thing for a self-proclaimed believer in the christian god to contend. But I digress...)

Quote:
And children can still read bible verses on school grounds. They can even get together and read them to each other. But it can no longer be part of classroom time. To make my post relevant to the topic at hand, you apparently don't like the idea of a religion you don't like distributing material to school kids. Are we to think that if a public school teacher subscribes to a religion you don't like that you would be OK with that teacher using class time to direct children to read from the teacher's preferred "holy" book? Somehow I doubt it.

Quote:
It harmed no one but did much good. It was the only reference to God that many of us had..
Really, you think that kids don't watch TV, don't read, can't look up the word "god" in a dictionary or an encyclopedia, don't wander around the internet, don't talk to each other... Obviously, your real beef is that public school teachers are no longer allowed, in the classroom, to proselytize *other people's* kids

Quote:
It was the right thing to do.
No, it wasn't the right thing to do. It is unconstitutional. The US government cannot privilege one religion over another.

Quote:
Today there is the spirit of anti-Christ in the world as the bible said there would be.
Well if your "holy" book predicted it, why are you complaining? Isn't that just part of god's plan?

Quote:

That's a personal opinion that many people don't share. I for one am very glad that public school teachers can no longer use class time to teach this as if it were established fact.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:44 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
I guess it's good that we live in the safest time in all human history then.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:54 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I guess it's good that we live in the safest time in all human history then.
You honestly believe that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies