Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 01:04 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times

Advertisements

I think the next person that shuts down our government should be shot on the spot, be they Repub or Dem, this Nation cannot afford some idiot pounding on the very thin ice this Nation is sitting on these days. My 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 01:08 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I think the next person that shuts down our government should be shot on the spot, be they Repub or Dem, this Nation cannot afford some idiot pounding on the very thin ice this Nation is sitting on these days. My 2 cents.
After all, polar bears may die.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:16 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Nothing wrong with discussion like this. Agree or disagree, the government is supposed to be run based on independent opinions of elected lawmakers instead of the hive mind we see so much.

Quite frankly, I'd treat lightly in arming the rebels. I prefer Assad, horrible as he is, to an alternative and the odds that the country would tilt to a fundamentalist state.
Says who?
Lobbyists, big donors and now anonymous donors with unknown motivations from anywhere in the world can and do attempt to influence outcomes.

And SCOTUS said it's all constitutional.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:17 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Exactly what do you mean by "shuts down the government"? During the last government "shutdown" what tragic event occurred?

BTW, I'd applaud any politician who "shuts down the government" to stop us from making a major mistake.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:21 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Lobbyists, big donors and now anonymous donors with unknown motivations from anywhere in the world can and do attempt to influence outcomes.

And SCOTUS said it's all constitutional.
As well it should be.

The only way a lobbyist, big donor or an anonymous donor can force a politician to vote in a certain way is most likely criminal.

MAM, let's say you are a senator, and I have a company that wants to use mercury to process metals in my plant and want to just have a pipe dumping the toxins directing into Lake Erie. If I came to you and said if you introduced a bill making this legal, I could guarantee to have $10 million each election cycle added to your campaign, would you introduce it?

Old 09-17-2014, 01:58 PM

23,548 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
Easy to say but why not ask who shut the government down the last time?

Looks like the D-party shut the government down following Obama's no negotiation policy for prisoners of war, hostages and repiblicans.

Ask the media and it is the repubs who shut the government down, media is propaganda machine for Obama. Media was silent on the d-party digging its heals into visitors to federal sites. something that was never experienced during previous government shutdowns. Why the silence on who made the shut down more excruciating???

Of course Harry Reid had nothing to do with suffocating bills and killing any discussion.

So who determines who shut the government down???
The media propaganda machine?

Simple solutions laid out in english, not legalese, might, just might help clearly determine who did what.
Don't hold your breathe. Oh, you can keep your doctor. PERIOD? what do you think that means?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies