Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 11:38 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

I have to side with the homeowner here all the way. Not a big gun guy but this is ridiculous. The one that should be on trial is the one who sent them to the wrong address.

I work for a utility company and we have had close calls with our people being sent to the wrong address. A guy had a call for a Gas leak, said on the order to knock loud. So he's out there hammering on the door at midnight and it turns out the order was for the right address, but in the wrong city. Guy answered the door with a handgun in his hand, all amped up as to why someone is hammering on his door at midnight.

Total incompetence almost got someone killed. They didn't verify the customer's name or the cross street on the address. Or the phone number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 11:48 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
The sad reality is that too many of us have had bad experiences with police. I believe that line of work attracts a certain mentality and personality. Certainly there are plenty of good policemen. But the good protect the bad, and the bad know they won't be held accountable. There is a VERY GOOD reason that police are so unpopular.
Look, the exact words you used to describe police, can be applied to just about any profession I can think of.
How often do bad judges, lawyers or politicians get held accountable?

I understand that bad police exist and I have had more experience with criminal police than most here. Remember I am from Miami originally, and some of the worst criminals on the street wore a badge(ever heard of the Miami River Cops).
However that was mainly because of a government program called affirmative action or some other name that was a euphemism for hiring by race/gender to meet quotas.
The good police wanted them off the streets and in jail just as much, if not more so than the average Joe.
Still they only accounted for a small percentage of LEO's.

Just because you encounter bad ones does not mean they should all be vilified. After all, they are people just trying to do a job most other people don't want to do. Most people do not risk injury/death in their line of work, nor do they deal with the criminals of society on a regular basis. So until you have walked a few days in their shoes, no one should wish them harm just because there are some bad ones out there.

`

Old 09-17-2014, 11:55 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Killeen is not too far away. Maybe I can get on this jury.
Dont post anymore about it if you plan to get on the jury.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:57 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
There is no damn good reason anymore for no knock warrants ESPECIALLY given all the military hardware and electronic surveillance equipment in use.

Hell there was no need for them as far back as the early 1990's.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:59 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
I don't understand why he was arrested.
thats because you didnt take the time to look around the internet and find any additional information.

evidently, according to the warrent request, extensive survailance of Guy was done in which the suspect was seen moving what appeared to be cocain.

Now I am not a big fan of the guns first no knock approach... because far too often innocents get caught in the cross fire, the wrong house gets hit and because it puts the police in far more danger than they should be.... but this wasnt a "hey that guy has some pot lets go break his door down" kinda thing.

There was reason to go after Guy. There was reason to believe he was dealing cocain. There was cause for arrest and a warrent to search his home.

im not really sure there is ever reason to break into the home of a Texan via a surprise no-knock warrent. Its just too dangerous.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
There is no damn good reason anymore for no knock warrants ESPECIALLY given all the military hardware and electronic surveillance equipment in use.

Hell there was no need for them as far back as the early 1990's.
I am not really sure there has ever been a good reason for them.

Shoot since the Branch Davidian debacle, surely we have plenty of evidence to understand why its better to catch the badguy some other way.... and it isnt that hard to do....

Old 09-17-2014, 12:05 PM

Some additional information

Documents Detail Crime Scene Search After Killeen Officers Shot)

I am not siding with the police. I am not siding with Guy.

I dont think there is a good reason to ever use a no-knock... I think that decision is what go a good officer killed.

but its pretty clear that this wasnt a case where they went to the wrong house or were looking for someone else. Guy was their guy.

Talk about a sad deal.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:12 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Talk about a sad deal.
Even sadder, and outrageous, that the state is seeking the death penalty.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Even sadder, and outrageous, that the state is seeking the death penalty.
if the state cant prove the guy was a drug dealer, then its outragious they are trying to get him on captial murder.

i dont think we have ever come even close to agreeing on anything and the fact that we arent exactly on opposite sides of this doesnt make me comfortable... but...

Old 09-17-2014, 12:31 PM

939 posts, read 795,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Look, the exact words you used to describe police, can be applied to just about any profession I can think of.
How often do bad judges, lawyers or politicians get held accountable?

I understand that bad police exist and I have had more experience with criminal police than most here. Remember I am from Miami originally, and some of the worst criminals on the street wore a badge(ever heard of the Miami River Cops).
However that was mainly because of a government program called affirmative action or some other name that was a euphemism for hiring by race/gender to meet quotas.
The good police wanted them off the streets and in jail just as much, if not more so than the average Joe.
Still they only accounted for a small percentage of LEO's.

Just because you encounter bad ones does not mean they should all be vilified. After all, they are people just trying to do a job most other people don't want to do. Most people do not risk injury/death in their line of work, nor do they deal with the criminals of society on a regular basis. So until you have walked a few days in their shoes, no one should wish them harm just because there are some bad ones out there.

`
I have said there are PLENTY of good ones/ I do believe people that work in law enforcement have less accountability than other professions. Also, the higher up you go, the less they are accountable. I consider Judges and politicians in the same catagory. I don't wish them harm, I just trust them less than I do most folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies