Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 02:54 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,731 times

Advertisements

Well this guy is black, and had every reason to fear the police who have a habit of shooting black people dead
for no apparent reason. The guy had every right to defend himself. It was either him or them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 02:57 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdblair5 View Post
The ACLU is.. well it's the ACLU.

I would like to clarify one thing though, we shouldn't place the blame solely on the police, a judge is signing off on these warrants and likely that means the DA is also behind it (one would assume)
Actually, very little blame is on the cops. Most of this abuse is authorized by local politicians, DAs and LE management. Your city council authorizes the purchase of SWAT equipment. They could end these no knock raids by tomorrow morning.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:58 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
We have a 4th Amendment that prohibits such invasions. Why is this allowed? Where is the vaunted ACLU when there is a genuine threat to our liberty?
In fairness, the Fourth says that such invasions shall not be allowed
Quote:
"but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation,"
We know that there was in fact a warrant allowing the police to enter. Since none of us have seen the warrant, or know what it was for, we cannot state whether there was probable cause or not. Apparently some judge thought there was.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:06 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Actually, very little blame is on the cops. Most of this abuse is authorized by local politicians, DAs and LE management. Your city council authorizes the purchase of SWAT equipment. They could end these no knock raids by tomorrow morning.
But its the police who initiate and request the warrants. They are not blameless.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:07 PM

680 posts, read 1,034,861 times
No knock raids are absurd. What happens to cops who enter homes like that is entirely of their doing. I'd shoot anyone that broke into my window as well. It's going to result in a dead cop, and probably a dead me.

There is no way I couldn't vote for acquittal if I ended up on a jury for a case like that.

It's especially tragic when cops get the address wrong.

Even more pathetic than no knock warrants are the comments that insist this is about racism, including the OP's.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:17 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Too lazy to read through all this, he have a fund? I'd like to see him at least put up a fight when getting railroaded for doing the right thing.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:26 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I do hope for that.

There usually is no test in the smaller depts...its a who ya know to get in the door and then testing comes later at the academy

You are wrong on a few points yourself there cowboy...first,the LE takes the info to a Judge and ASKS for. Warrant...usually not the other way around unless its a bench warrant for failure to appear or whatever the case may be..LE is pretty much never denied a warrant and its an inbred sorta deal in the more rural areas..Judge is Billy Bob's brother-in-law and Billy Bob's sister works in the D.A.'s office...so you kinda have it bass ackwards for the most part.
You make a lot of assumptions, not the least of which is that the judge will grant the search warrant. Many judges, especially those concerned about civil liberties deny the warrants, even when they shouldn't.

Regardless, rest assured your apparent zeal for LEO's to be killed due to karma or to teach them to stop the practice of no knock warrants is a despicable attitude.
I may not like dope smoking hippies, or ignorant liberals who vote for communists, but I do not wish them any physical harm.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:35 PM

865 posts, read 623,209 times
If it actually happened just as the article says, I doubt it will make it past a grand jury...at least one with any common sense.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:40 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,578,811 times
I'd probably be dead or would have shot someone if put in the same situation as Guy. Scary.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:55 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
thats because you didnt take the time to look around the internet and find any additional information.

evidently, according to the warrent request, extensive survailance of Guy was done in which the suspect was seen moving what appeared to be cocain.

Now I am not a big fan of the guns first no knock approach... because far too often innocents get caught in the cross fire, the wrong house gets hit and because it puts the police in far more danger than they should be.... but this wasnt a "hey that guy has some pot lets go break his door down" kinda thing.

There was reason to go after Guy. There was reason to believe he was dealing cocain. There was cause for arrest and a warrent to search his home.

im not really sure there is ever reason to break into the home of a Texan via a surprise no-knock warrent. Its just too dangerous.

I've read all I can find on this case too. To me, it appears most (if not all) of the probable cause rests solely on the word of a single informant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies