Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 03:17 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,484,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
These days???? Seriously?? Tip envelopes have been in rooms for decades - get out much???

And if you think the majority of your 200 goes to the CEOs pocket, you have some growing up to do. Sheesh....
I must be blind. I travel 100+ night per year and I can't recollect the last time I saw an envelope.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I tip everyone including the people at the sandwich carry out place. Why should maids be any different? If you don't tip them can you be sure that they'll do a good job on your room or not go through your things when you're not there? I left some money on the dresser once and the maid didn't take it. I was surprised so I just left her a tip for the whole week after we left. I remember there being separate envelopes for the maid and various other employees on the cruise ship. They even posted guidelines for the tips. Hmmm I wonder when stewardesses will be next on airplanes. They can hand out those envelopes like the cruise ships do. Aren't they under paid as well?
Everyone? Wow you must be a rich person! I don't and have never tipped maids. They are not on a minimum wage, the national average is $8.73 with a wide range of $7.37 to $13.05 - Hotel Housekeeping Aide/Attendant/Assistant Salary (United States)

Doing a good job is a fundamental part of their job function, IMHO, not a reward for above and beyond. You next statement is truly mind bending and worth repeating "not go through your things when you're not there?". So basically you tip to ensure you don't get robbed. Wow! What a perverse sense of logic you have....

Since you say you tip everyone, I don't quite understand you last comment "Hmmm I wonder when stewardesses will be next on airplanes.". Since asserted that you are already tipping everyone I presume you are already doing this and leading the charge on tipping anything that moves?

Last edited by timfountain; 09-17-2014 at 04:43 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 03:28 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,884,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
I must be blind. I travel 100+ night per year and I can't recollect the last time I saw an envelope.
Maybe you suffer from selective blindness.

The past couple of years my out of town traveling has decreased to maybe 4 or 5 short trips a year, but I would say "tip" envelopes are present in 66% - 75% of the places I stay at.

To me it's not really a tip ... nothing like 15-20% of the bill I would tip a waiter or hairstylist or bartender. It's a token. If it's a 2 night weekend trip I'll put $5 in the envelope, maybe more if the housekeeper goes out of the way to give extra towels or change the pillows. I spent a week in a Florida B&B in June and for the 7 night stay I left $25 in the envelope because the housekeeper was not related to the guest house owner and I know he wasn't making $18 or $20 an hour ... probably not much over the minimum wage.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:29 PM

819 posts, read 1,586,985 times
I pretty much tip every time I stay in a hotel and have been doing so for years! My husband, on the other hand, will not. So, there you go. That's one tip I have passed on to my daughter and now she tips as well.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Tipping hotel maids is nothing new. Not sure why the OP thinks it's something new. But according to the article, Marriott's maids make between $18.30/hr. and $20.00. Why should we tip someone making more money than some college grad office workers? Nobody tips university staff or office receptionists, who make a lot less than Marriott's maids. Why are we supposed to tip someone who makes $20/hr? Or am I missing something here?
Hey, at that rate they are making more than a first officer on a regional jet! Now that it truly scary.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Maybe you suffer from selective blindness.

The past couple of years my out of town traveling has decreased to maybe 4 or 5 short trips a year, but I would say "tip" envelopes are present in 66% - 75% of the places I stay at.

To me it's not really a tip ... nothing like 15-20% of the bill I would tip a waiter or hairstylist or bartender. It's a token. If it's a 2 night weekend trip I'll put $5 in the envelope, maybe more if the housekeeper goes out of the way to give extra towels or change the pillows. I spent a week in a Florida B&B in June and for the 7 night stay I left $25 in the envelope because the housekeeper was not related to the guest house owner and I know he wasn't making $18 or $20 an hour ... probably not much over the minimum wage.
Nope, no envelope, absolutely 100%. But I don't stay are higher end places where everything is usually extra. I stay mostly within in the Hilton brand at mid range hotels such as Hilton Garden Inns, Hamptons or Embassy Suites.

Last edited by timfountain; 09-17-2014 at 04:44 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 03:57 PM

161 posts, read 239,347 times
I tip a couple of bucks each night. That being said, I have 3 young kids and travel is so rare for me, so it's not like I feel like I'm forking out a whole lot. I also tip my hairstylist, taxi driver, my waitress, bartender, an airport porter (for curbside checking luggage), my child's birthday party "helper"/hostess, etc. No, I'm not made of money, but I believe it's common courtesy to offer it for a service provided and like others have mentioned, as a token. I went on a cruise recently and even though there were port fees automatically added on, I still tipped our steward a couple of bucks each night just like housekeeping for a hotel. If someone is making my bed, tidying it up, emptying the trash, cleaning the counters, leaving me mints on my bed and making cute animals out of towels, I think it's appropriate to tip.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:19 PM

418 posts, read 724,445 times
I tip. Hotel housekeeping seems like a kind of unpleasant job to me, that doesn't pay well in most cases. I'm on vacation, why not make someone's life a little more pleasant?

Old 09-17-2014, 04:30 PM

15,992 posts, read 20,975,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
I always tipped hotel maids.
Always.
Since when do people NOT top the maid?
I don't understand.
Apparently since deciding spending upwards of $100 a night on themselves is okay, but leaving a tip for a service worker that amounts to less than what they spend on a cup of coffee is somehow going to cause the eventual economic collapse of the country.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:34 PM

9,782 posts, read 7,595,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
I always tipped hotel maids.
Always.
Since when do people NOT top the maid?
I don't understand.
Agreed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies