Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 05:21 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
I just saw this on another board. Would you support it?

Issue transferable, but not refundable tax credits to all African Americans. 20 year expiration date on them. Hell, make them provide a birth certificate. It wouldn't cost the US government a cent. Only people who would pay would do so voluntarily by buying tax credits and in return they get a reduction in their tax burden. Win-win for everyone, right?

On top of that, think of the economic impact it would have if every black person in America got $30k/yr for the next five years (or whatever the number). They would spend most of that money domestically and that would create jobs. Factor in the multiplier and it may even pump more money into the economy than the face value of the credits. If anything, it would come close.

So, in summary:

-give reparations.
-stimulate the economy.
-reduce poverty.
-reduce tax burden on individuals and corporations who buy the credits.
-no cost to the tax payer since it is only tax credits.
30k? why not 1 million?
I have a better idea. Give everyone named loveshiscountry the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 07:22 AM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Can those of us of Irish descent get a few free perks tossed our way?

We weren't exactly greeted with open arms when we landed on these shores.

Far from it.
instead of free tax credits, all of us Irish Americans will receive free pint vouchers redeemable at your local pub.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:44 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
instead of free tax credits, all of us Irish Americans will receive free pint vouchers redeemable at your local pub.
Not THIS "Mick": make MY voucher diet soda! lol

Old 09-19-2014, 07:55 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Not THIS "Mick": make MY voucher diet soda! lol
Mine too!!!!

A cupcake would be nice.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:11 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
30k? why not 1 million?
I have a better idea. Give everyone named loveshiscountry the money.

Sure, why not? Give everybody tax credits. It's of no cost to the government, right?

Old 10-01-2014, 02:46 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,905,096 times
Reparations usually go to survivors and one has to be able to prove and show the damages. Therefore, at this point only Jim Crow survivors are entitled to reparations. No survivors of chattel slavery of colonial or antebellum USA exist or remain today.

People of ALL races and religions were enslaved

Old 10-01-2014, 02:51 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,905,096 times
Another thing to consider though is the the first slave owners were people of color and most slave owners overall were people of color

Old 10-01-2014, 06:48 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
My next door neighbor as a kid and childhood friend was black. Went to same school, played on same sports teams, had the same teachers in elementary school and middle school.

In middle school, he started smoking weed every day, and can remember him walking down the hall in 9th grade bragging about getting straight F's. I wasn't a complete angel, but did well in school. He barely graduated high school and hasn't left our stale town in suburban PA. To this day, I read his fb posts about how the system was against him bc of his color, etc.

I always did well in school and played sports. Went to a good, well rounded college, worked hard and got a job on Wall Street. Eight years later, I do very well for myself.my dad's old beer for a living and my mom a nurse - I had no 'family connections' and my Wall Street analyst class was as racially and gender diverse as possible.

So you're telling me he is owed some type of money or reparation? Highly doubt he's ever met someone who was a slave, much less his own life being affected by it. We had the same exact opportunities growing up, one of us took advantage of it, one smoked weed and drank every day. But this is the system's fault, and the rest of us should make it right?
You could give blacks a million dollars each and after it was gone, they would still pizz and moan about how whitey oppressed them for 400 years.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:03 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
I just saw this on another board. Would you support it?

Issue transferable, but not refundable tax credits to all African Americans. 20 year expiration date on them. Hell, make them provide a birth certificate. It wouldn't cost the US government a cent. Only people who would pay would do so voluntarily by buying tax credits and in return they get a reduction in their tax burden. Win-win for everyone, right?

On top of that, think of the economic impact it would have if every black person in America got $30k/yr for the next five years (or whatever the number). They would spend most of that money domestically and that would create jobs. Factor in the multiplier and it may even pump more money into the economy than the face value of the credits. If anything, it would come close.

So, in summary:

-give reparations.
-stimulate the economy.
-reduce poverty.
-reduce tax burden on individuals and corporations who buy the credits.
-no cost to the tax payer since it is only tax credits.
Well in the hoods of Detroit we would see plenty of new Escalades, Mercedes and Jaguars for sure..and big shiney wheels...

Why do you think this would help ? Sort of seems like throwing money at a problem instead of figuring the problem out...

Old 10-02-2014, 05:18 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Well in the hoods of Detroit we would see plenty of new Escalades, Mercedes and Jaguars for sure..and big shiney wheels...

Why do you think this would help ? Sort of seems like throwing money at a problem instead of figuring the problem out...
They have supplemental income------- Drug dealing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies